This 1928 Atmospheric theater was designed by R.G. Wolff of the firm of George & C.W. Rapp. The auditorium is in the Spanish Renaissance style. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The theater closed in late 1990s, and the property fell into the hands of the Village of Lombard in 2000 after a failed restoration attempt. After a long, bitter battle between preservationists with hopes of restoring the DuPage and citizens of Lombard concerned about their tax dollars supporting the project, the Village Board moved in 2005 to demolish the theater. The auditorium came down in December, 2006. Current plans call for building new luxury condominiums, retail space, and a 300-seat performance space behind the restored theater fašade.
Photographs taken on August 20, 2006
Friends of the Dupage Theatre Dupage Theatre on Cinema Treasures
Return to Theaters