BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historical NYC Buses: Old Looks In NYC (The GM TD4506)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Historical NYC Buses: Old Looks In NYC (The GM TD4506) Reply with quote

The GM TD-4506 was an Old Look transit model built from June 1945 to October 1946. It was the first GM transit to be made available on a large-scale basis following the end of World War II. It was 35’ long, 95” wide, had a 239” wheelbase, weighed 16,910 lbs. and seated 44 passengers. Built with aluminum side panels assembled in monocoque construction and equipped with a Detroit Diesel 6-71 engine, most TD-4506’s also were delivered with hydraulic transmissions (equipped with a floor-mounted lever-type shift tower located to the left of the B/O). During that era, the GM model nomenclature system did not include a third letter for transmission identification; that designation was introduced in November 1946. Externally, TD-4506’s featured single, square side windows. Surface Transportation System’s TD-4506’s had side windows equipped with split sashes. Paired windows would not arrive on GM Old Looks until December 1948. The 4506’s also lacked the familiar Thermomatic vent housing mounted above the front destination sign, a feature that would debut in November 1946 on the TDH/M-4507. As Motor Coach Age had said in its July-August 1992 issue, “Most of the 1200 TD-4506’s ran for big-city operators who already had substantial diesel-hydraulic fleets.” Not surprisingly, NYC bus operators readily bought the TD-4506. FACCO and subsidiary NYCO (who certainly exemplified “big-city operators”) purchased the TD-4506 in large numbers. FACCO (#2200-2259 with some gaps) bought 54 units from November 1945 to April 1946. According to Guy Martin’s New York City Transit Buses 1945-1975, the new TD-4506’s permitted FACCO to retire its fleet of open topped double-deckers. NYCO and its affiliates Eighth Avenue Coach Corp. and Madison Avenue Coach Co. had a 136-unit fleet of TD-4506’s (numbered 1700-1835). Surface Transportation System owned 97 units (#1100-1196), while Comprehensive Omnibus Corp. (#701-703) and East Side Omnibus Corp. (#301-303) owned a total of eight units between them. When the BOT acquired both East Side and Comprehensive in 1948, the TD-4506’s of these operators were transferred to the Jamaica Depot of BOT’s Queens Bus Division, and were renumbered BOT #320-322 (ex-East Side 301-303) and #701-703 (ex-Comprehensive 701-703). BOT and NYCTA never bought new TD-4506’s (since those agencies did not yet exist when the 4506 was first sold), and apparently they did not buy any other used 4506’s. When MaBSTOA was formed in 1962, it inherited 287 well-used TD-4506’s from its constituent predecessor companies. According to Guy Martin, MaBSTOA assigned these units to former STS routes. They originally kept their former fleet numbers, but were renumbered in 1963. They gradually were replaced in 1963 (by ex-BOT TDH 4510’s and TDH-5101’s transferred from the Brooklyn Division) and in 1965 (by new MaBSTOA TDH-5303’s.) NYC private bus lines outside Manhattan and The Bronx apparently were not as eager to purchase the TD-4506. Green Bus Lines (through subsidiary Manhattan & Queens Bus Corp.) bought 10 units (#201-210) in 1946. Triboro Coach Corp. picked up Surface Transit 1104 in 1959, numbering it as TCC 1126; did purchase new TDH-4507’s in 1948. Other local operators ignored the 4506 completely. Steinway Omnibus waited until September 1947 to buy TDH-4507’s. ACF devotee Queens-Nassau Transit Lines did not buy GM buses until October 1951. Jamaica Buses preferred Macks during the postwar period, as did Avenue B and East Broadway.

Note: I'd be pleased to do more of this type of historical article (as time permits). Please let me know if you'd like to see more as well.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting post, Bob! Always like reading about Old Looks. Click on my website below for more. Mr. Green
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Historical NYC Buses: Old Looks In NYC (The GM TD4506) Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Green Bus Lines (through subsidiary Manhattan & Queens Bus Corp.) bought 10 units (#201-210) in 1946.
In deference to my good pal and GBL historian Mr. Linsky, I must add that GBL actually owned a total of 35 TD-4506's. In addition to the 10 M&Q units cited above, GBL proper also bought 25 TD-4506's in 1946, numbering them 901-925. In common with the TD-4506's operated by STS, the GBL units were equipped with horizontally split sashes on their single square side windows. Another point that I had neglected to mention in the article is the fact that New York's 4506's were equipped with various roof-mounted ventilators. Unlike the large front mounted Thermomatic vents, ventilators on the 4506 were mounted further back along the rooftop. GBL's units had 2 larger rectangular housings mounted on the rooftop roughly over the side destination sign and over the first streetside passenger window. They also had several small globe-style vents extending rearward on the rooftop.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I can't resist this - thanks for the acknowledgment -I'll try to live up to my reputation!

The roof array that you speak of on the TD 4506's, and which were eliminated with the advent of the 'Thermo-Matic' systems on the TDH 4507's, were part of a required air circulation configuration (although, they were actually useless!).

The squared housings on either side of the front part of the roof contained 'pancake' fan motors that forced fresh air through the cabin which was then exhausted via the funny looking 'Mickey Mouse' ears like gadgets further back on the roof.

Under each of the roof exhausts was a circular damper which could be adjusted by hand thus regulating the flow of air.

Green Line TD 4506 Number 907 shown below plainly illustrates the front fan housings and intake openings.

Photo courtesy of Green Line archive.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Referencing the 'Passenger Safety Half Sashes' that you describe above and which Green Line opted for on all of its pre 'paired window' 'Old Look' buses;

Basically, each window was divided almost in half with the upper openable section being slightly greater in height then the lower one.

The lower sash was affixed permanently and its primary purpose was to prevent passengers from riding with their elbows (and, in the case of students, their full upper torsos) from protruding outside the bus.

This option was also available on the later paired window jobs and was standard equipment on all Schenck Transportation coaches (as seen below) as well as some Queens Nassau models.

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Mr RT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
I'm interested in getting copies of some of these old buses from each of the former provate lines.
I have a Triboro White that's of poor quality.
I also have an old Mack from Jamaica & Green.
And I have a newer Mack from Steinway, this is a good one of 2000.
Plus I have a number of GM Old Looks.

Dennis has been kind enough to share some of the Green Old Looks.

I would like to get them in the next week or two ????
Thanks in advance, Thurston
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston,

I gather that you're talking about photos and not the real buses!

If so, the best place to go would be the BT3 gallery where they are plentiful.

You certainly have my permission to copy any of those that I have placed in the Green Line pre New Look files, and which have appeared many times throughout these forums.

If I can be of further help, just give me a yell.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Mr RT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check it out again to be sure I haven't missed something.

I'm looking for older B/W shots, some with buggy wips Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: