BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTA Bus MCI 3387
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should wait until a few more facts are in before firing the driver or using the accident as prima facie evidence that he/she is guilty. If I learned anything from the old BusTalk, it's that the MTA will try to blame every possible accident on the driver, whether they are guilty or not.
TCC Senior Man

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaica608 wrote:
TransitGuy wrote:
In a case like this, do they fire a driver on the spot or do they fire him/her and then make them pay for reparations?

I would imagine the driver is out on worker's compensation right now and will probably wind up going to arbitration to try and keep his job.

I'm not so sure that the Bus Operator has this option available to him/her. From what I understand, this Bus Operator was new to the job with possibly no more then 3 months on the job. If this is the case, that would mean that they were still on probation. Arbitration, I don't think, is not an option because they were a probie. I may be wrong but if someone here is a shop steward, they might be able to come up with a definitive answer.
Jamaica608

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Maybe we should wait until a few more facts are in before firing the driver or using the accident as prima facie evidence that he/she is guilty. If I learned anything from the old BusTalk, it's that the MTA will try to blame every possible accident on the driver, whether they are guilty or not.
I got my info from a shop steward at Yonkers and somebody from saftey and training at my depot. He drove into a tree head on over 30 mph. The day before the accident he was told to slow it down because he was caught driving too fast. The odds are against him no matter how you look at it.
Bee Flexible #823

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case, then he's a goner. And especially if you're on probation for the 1st 2 years when on the job.
TCC Senior Man

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee Flexible #823 wrote:
If that's the case, then he's a goner. And especially if you're on probation for the 1st 2 years when on the job.

Under the MTA, Probation is for the entire first year, not the first two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: