BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LI Bus takeover by MTA Bus?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: LI Bus takeover by MTA Bus? Reply with quote

Several of the other bus boards are buzzing about a supposed November takeover of MTA Long Island Bus by MTA Bus Company. Anybody have any news about this?

Jim
Operator3319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it maybe true no open houses for part time para transit operator for a while now that might be a sign
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a rumor that the takeover was going to be the end of September. Since its October, do the math. Rumors are rumors, and it will happen when it does, and not a minute before!! Date etched in stone-- nope, not from what I got.

I was told my employer was getting taken over way before Jan 9 2006. We all know how long that took-- YEARS. Sit back and watch the rumors fly.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it curious that a deal has supposedly been worked out between the MTA and Nassau County to allow a takeover to occur in mere weeks, and yet not a word has been leaked in the media.

If Nassau's financing of LI Bus/MTA Bus were to change as has been claimed by some, does the county legislature have to vote on it?
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An opinion piece;

If the county is subsidizing L.I. Bus, then, yes, they would have some say in the matter - but, if they're smart they'll give the whole thing over to MTA Bus which will put the onus right on the state!

From all the negative reports and writings that I've seen on these boards and in the papers about L.I. Bus services, maybe it would be for the best all around!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, NY
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the takeover happens is it possible that the MTA will send low floor hybrids to LI?
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nycbusfan wrote:
If the takeover happens is it possible that the MTA will send low floor hybrids to LI?

Gosh I hope not. The floods here are gonna be a problem, we need to stick with high floor buses. LF's may work in the city but out here the road drainage is awful and the standard high floor buses cope with it better.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
nycbusfan wrote:

Gosh I hope not. The floods here are gonna be a problem, we need to stick with high floor buses. LF's may work in the city but out here the road drainage is awful and the standard high floor buses cope with it better.

Pineywoodsbus,

I was going to joke about Low Floors on Long Island with the floods of late - but, thinking about it, you're absolutely right!

If predictions on global warming are true, and the ice caps are melting as fast as they say they are, there may not be much of a Long Island before long (that worries me because I still own property in Woodmere!).

Look's like what I said twenty five years ago about needing a glass bottom boat to go down Fifth Avenue (Manhattan) may yet come true!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, NY
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it now... ''MTA New York City Boat'' Shocked
Operator3319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it now in the distant future water transport being ran by the MTA be it the Staten Island Ferry the name sounds good dosent it MTA Staten Island Ferry
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you when it's going to be really bad;

When my glass bottom boat leaves you off at the fifty second floor of the Chrysler Building!

Or; when ships float over the towers of the George Washington Bridge!

Or; when you can take a moonlight swim off the observation deck of the Empire State Building!

Or; when the Statue of Liberty disappears!

Or; when you can go SCUBA diving in the Holland Tunnel!

That's when you're going to know that we're in trouble!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Line, Jamaica, NY
Ray The TransitMan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

The takeover WILL take place on Thursday, November 1st. ALL Nassau County buses will be renumbered and eventually repainted. Some will just peel the orange stripe off of the buses. Expect lots of changes to unfold. The MTA brass is already operating as I type this in BOTH depots.

Ray
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a totally different situation but are there any rumblings about MTA Bus taking over the Westchester Bee Line? Westchester County doesn't want to or at least previously they didn't want MTA Bus. Has anything changed in this area other than Metro Card?
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get me wrong, I like MTA Bus, but I really don't wanna see them take over The Bee-Line System! Thats my favorite transit system, I'd hate to see Bee-Line disappear. Besides it wouldn't be any fun if all the transit buses in the new york area looked the same!
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that the system looks good but I understand they are loosing many millions of dollars of Federal funds because of their status as not part of a transit agency but just part of a county government. Perhaps they could become as they were originally going to be, part of MSBA which as of 11/01 will have no buses to operate. This way they could keep some autonomy and the county would have some control over the operation and the buses could probably continue to keep the Bee-Line colors and logo; however the bus drivers would have to become MTA employees and Liberty Lines would no longer operate the system. That's why it won't happen. Ah, the evil politics raises it's head. The county government and Liberty Lines are in bed with each other. This Liberty Lines is making a considerable profit operating a so-called public transit operation and the county government because of this arrangement is not getting its fair share of Federal transit funding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: