BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THIS IS BUS TALK!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: THIS IS BUS TALK! Reply with quote

TAKE NOTE PEOPLE: The focused interest of this forum is suppose to be about buses in and around the New York City area. This now is nothing but a one man show posting subway, non U.S. and other off the topic subjects that have nothing to do with New York buses. Note the responses to them. NONE except the author himself.

We can do without the silly nicknames for certain buses as well as faux accented abbreviations for certain transit agencies. I'm sure there are many topics about buses that can be posted. I see no reports of what's new in buses around the city. Surely the days of a few makes are a thing of the pass. But today there are so many different models and makes roaming the streets of New York. How about concentrating on these. Enough with non bus postings!

Mr. Lipsky. You are sorely missed. All your postings were very interesting and educational.

If there's nothing of interest to post, then don't post! It's that simple.

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie:

If you'll notice, in an adjacent thread, I've posted NUMEROUS links to old photos of NYCTA BUSES.....yes, BUSES.....stored at Fresh Pond.......and discussing these BUSES as well.

I've posted several just today, in fact, and quite a number last night, ALL where the BUSES are the MAIN topic.

As to bus nicknames, it is all part of the hobby, having monikers for trains AND buses....it's all part of the fun!

Myself (and others here) simply have fun with the hobby, while also focusing on the "real" aspect" of it all.

Sorry that you are annoyed at "getting off topic", but, when I engage in discussions here, I try to focus on the BUSES and the TRAINS......it's ALL part of New York's vast transit system.

One favor....IF you need to "vent", you COULD send a PM, instead of voicing displeasure in a post on the main board.

Take notice, we don't FLAME or BELITTLE each other here, as is the norm on other boards, nor do we nitpick.

If you do not care to read a certain topic, simply ignore it, and that will solve the issue........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...........as far as reporting about the current buses and what might be coming in the future, I, myself (and several others here) have NO interest in the current MTA fleet, which more resemble giant caterpillars and rolling boxes, than the BUSES so many of us knew and loved, in years past.

Also, the late Mr. Linsky (RIP) worked for GREEN BUS for years, and was able to provide much in-depth information that we average hobbyists would never be able to provide.

You like what you like, simple as that.

Perhaps, what might NOT be of interest to YOU, MIGHT just be of INTEREST to SOMEONE else.

It's as simple as that.............

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I too would like to see a more active and lively forum, discussing contemporary bus (especially over-the-road) subjects, I don't mind reminiscing about the past, since at my age (76), there's a lot of it. Wink

While Mr. Lipsky was certainly the "heart and soul" of this forum, generously sharing his vast knowledge on many subjects, he is sadly, gone...

NYO, with his many posts, trying to engage other's with varied interest, is probably what is keeping this forum from fading into oblivion, and I thank him for that.

The creator's of this forum included many sub-forums and categories on various topics, so perhaps if those were better utilized, it would solve the issue...

JMHO Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are indeed a GENTLEMAN, and I DO sincerely thank you, my friend, with the kind compliments....MUCH appreciated! Wink

For many years, I was a member of a rail forum (and, in fact, moderated a few of the boards); and had a great deal of fun there over the years, and, most importantly, LEARNED from a great many whose knowlewdge far surpassed my own.

Sadly, though, in the course of well over 15 years, the activity level sharply dropped off.

This was largely in part to the many members switching over to Facebook groups, but, also (sadly) the passing of a number of the older members, whom I indeed "bonded" with strongly, and, again, learned a great deal from them.

And, sadly, we had a few "nitpickers" on that forum whose only mission was to boast of their superior knowledge, and to chastise others whose opinions and comments he did not like.

Here, on this board, I greatly enjoy the "challenge" (if you will) of trying to tie in the buses of old with the streetcars of long ago, as well as the subways and elevateds, all integral to the greatest mass transit system in the world.

I have seen other forums degenerate into all-out (and ugly) flame wars, where name-calling, harrassment, and inane nitpicking went on virtually daily, without restraint.

Basically speaking, a cyber-playpen for "adult" babies who, clearly, had serious (and obvious) behavioral and anti-social issues.

That is one reason I so greatly value Bus Talk.

I've learned, over the years, a tremendous amount (I'm being modest, here!) about bygone highway coach operations from yourself, and, indeed, from such good, highly-knowledgeable friends W.B. Fishbowl and MaBSTOA 15, a vast treasure trove of in-depth historical NYC bus operations that truly impresses me greatly.

Their vast knowledge is beyond impressive.

Our late friend, Mr. Linsky, was a true gentleman whose knowledge of GREEN BUS operations (and, in fact, virtually ANYTHING relating to buses) never failed to both greatly impress and awe me.....he was indeed, one of a kind, and, certainly, still greatly missed.

We ALL can learn SO MUCH from EACH OTHER, here........and, I also feel it is of GREAT importance NOT to push the rich transit history of the city to the side; there is ALWAYS something we've yet to learn, and that, for sure, truly makes our hobby as rich and as thoroughly fascinating as it is...... Very Happy

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: