BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOT a "Noo Yawk" subway/old lighting/signs/buses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(SEE PREVIOUS POSTS)

In this undated photo, we see "Borough Bomber" #647 basking in the glare of florescent lighting at an unidentified garage..........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154358

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["GRUMMAN"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpts from my copy of "THE NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY OPERATING BUDGET PROPOSAL: 1988-1991".......

"BUS DEPOT PLAN"

".......a key to providing more efficient bus service is improving the condition of the garages in which the Authority's buses are stored and serviced. At present, sixteen of the Authority's nineteen depots are in deteriorated condition, and 23 percent of the bus fleet cannot be properly garaged......."

"........much of this shortfall in capacity occurs in Manhattan depots. Without increased capacity, especially in Manhattan, service will be jeopardized......."

".......earlier this year, the second floor of the 54th street Depot was determined to be structurally unsound. Temporary repairs have been made, which will allow 54th Street to operate for approximately five years, after which time it will have to b e closed to either be rebuilt or replaced....."

".........Manhattan depot capacity is already strained, due to the 132nd Street Depot in 1986, due to structural problems within the building......."

"........however, due to Manhattan bus storage needs, 54th Street cannot be closed for rebuilding until the new Manhattanville depot opens as a replacement for the 132nd Street depot, and the dilapidated Hudson Depot can be replaced with a new West Side Depot.........."

"NYO"

["M"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued............

"........the 1987-1991 Capital program includes $572 million for depot construction, rehabilitation, and related support projects. To support Manhattan service, almost $200 million is allocated for construction of Manhattanville and Hudson replacements, reconstruction of the 126th and 146th Street depots, and design, demolition, and site preparation to either rebuild or replace the 54th Street depot........."

"........the program also includes replacement of the Kingsbridge and Flushing Depots, construction of a new repair facility and the rehabilitation of the current facility at Fresh Pond, as well as construction of two base Maintenance Shops, a bus radio system for the entire fleet, and major rehabilitation projects at ENY, Flatbush, and Jamaica depots. The new Flushing Depot service building foundation was completed this year, and the depot construction contract is expected to be awarded by the end of the year........"

"NYO"

["MTA BUS"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued............

(this page listed the MTA's current bus depots, and whether they would be rebuilt or replaced)

BRONX
--------------------------

KINGSBRIDGE

WALNUT

COLISEUM

GUN HILL
------------------------------

MANHATTAN
-------------------------------

HUDSON

54th Street

100th STREET

126th STREET

132nd STREET

MANHATTANVILLE

AMSTERDAM

146th STREET
-----------------------------------------

BROOKLYN
-------------------------------------------

EAST NEW YORK

FIFTH AVENUE

FLATBUSH

FRESH POND

ULMER PARK
-----------------------------------------

QUEENS
------------------------------------------

QUEENS VILLAGE

FLUSHING

JAMAICA
--------------------------------------------

STATEN ISLAND
---------------------------------------------

CASTLETON

YUKON

EDGEWATER (closed)

"NYO"

["COME ON BACK WITH US!"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also......

One photo shows "Dangerfield" #7562, retired from revenue service, with "NYCTA EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING" over the windows.

Photo caption states that:

"...........three buses have been converted into mobile training laboratories. Employees use computers to receive essential chemical safety training about potentially hazardous substances they may handle in their work. In 1988, 40,000 employees will be trained on the three converted buses, as well as at three stationary classrooms located through the system........"

Another photo caption reads as follows:

".........by July, the entire bus fleet will be equipped with new electronic registering fare boxes. At the end of 1987, at least 80% of the bus fleet will be retrofitted with this equipment........."

"NYO"

["FLXIBLE"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
(SEE PREVIOUS POSTS)

In this undated photo, we see "Borough Bomber" #647 basking in the glare of florescent lighting at an unidentified garage..........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154358

["GRUMMAN"]

Looks like 132d Street, because I seem to notice reference to the M5 line.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpts from my copy of "THE NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY OPERATING BUDGET PROPOSAL: 1988-1991".......

"BUS DEPOT PLAN"

".......a key to providing more efficient bus service is improving the condition of the garages in which the Authority's buses are stored and serviced. At present, sixteen of the Authority's nineteen depots are in deteriorated condition, and 23 percent of the bus fleet cannot be properly garaged......."

"........much of this shortfall in capacity occurs in Manhattan depots. Without increased capacity, especially in Manhattan, service will be jeopardized......."

".......earlier this year, the second floor of the 54th street Depot was determined to be structurally unsound. Temporary repairs have been made, which will allow 54th Street to operate for approximately five years, after which time it will have to b e closed to either be rebuilt or replaced....."

".........Manhattan depot capacity is already strained, due to the 132nd Street Depot in 1986, due to structural problems within the building......."

"........however, due to Manhattan bus storage needs, 54th Street cannot be closed for rebuilding until the new Manhattanville depot opens as a replacement for the 132nd Street depot, and the dilapidated Hudson Depot can be replaced with a new West Side Depot.........."

"NYO"

["M"]

The newer "West Side Depot" would ultimately be renamed after TWU chief Michael J. Quill. I now live a few blocks from there.

Now, post-budget report, is it my imagination or would they have started all over again with the 100th Street depot (now Tuskegee Airmen) and 146th Street (now Mother Hale)? On top of the replacement of 132d Street with Manhattanville. It's interesting that farebox codes for that depot were 'OTS' while that of the 126th Street depot was 'MAN' (for NYCTA Manhattan Bus Division). Though with the newer stickers, the "Tee-Yay's" lone Manhattan depot had a 'CXXVI' designation.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You mentioned "farebox codes"; it would be interesting to see a list of farebox codes (regarding the different depots) from, say, the 1950s through to the present day.

Think of the closure and demolition of old depots, and the opening of new facilities; also, the re-naming of depots in later years (for instance, what was the original name for the "Jackie Gleason depot"?)

It would also seem that, through the decades, that, with the introduction of each new type of farebox, familiarization classes would have to be held, to introduce the new boxes to drivers.

I would guess that today's "hi-tech" registers are far and away removed from the machines of even a couple of decades ago (tokens NOT accepted!) Razz

Since I have not ridden on a "Noo Yawk" bus in close to 40 years, and have not ridden on an NJT bus in over 8 years , I know that the registers are now vastly different than anything Your's Truly remembers.

Is cash even accepted on the MTA's buses today? (I'm leaning towards a "no")

I would guess it's all electric fare cards, etc, these days.

So, in closing, it would seem that most (all) the MTA's depots are now either new or rebuilt, with little remaining from the "Tee-Yay" era?

Time indeed flies by much too fast for my tastes; the once-familiar becomes today's rarity in the blink of an eye......... Sad

"NYO"

["New York City Transit Authority"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1969: a new era is dawning............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154028

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154157

['Manhattan & Bronx Surface Operating Authority"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quiet scene at the old 132nd Street yards, back in '72..............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153837

["3301"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You mentioned "farebox codes"; it would be interesting to see a list of farebox codes (regarding the different depots) from, say, the 1950s through to the present day.

Think of the closure and demolition of old depots, and the opening of new facilities; also, the re-naming of depots in later years (for instance, what was the original name for the "Jackie Gleason depot"?)

It would also seem that, through the decades, that, with the introduction of each new type of farebox, familiarization classes would have to be held, to introduce the new boxes to drivers.

I would guess that today's "hi-tech" registers are far and away removed from the machines of even a couple of decades ago (tokens NOT accepted!) Razz

Since I have not ridden on a "Noo Yawk" bus in close to 40 years, and have not ridden on an NJT bus in over 8 years , I know that the registers are now vastly different than anything Your's Truly remembers.

Is cash even accepted on the MTA's buses today? (I'm leaning towards a "no")

I would guess it's all electric fare cards, etc, these days.

So, in closing, it would seem that most (all) the MTA's depots are now either new or rebuilt, with little remaining from the "Tee-Yay" era?

Time indeed flies by much too fast for my tastes; the once-familiar becomes today's rarity in the blink of an eye......... Sad

"NYO"

["New York City Transit Authority"]

From what I saw of old pictures, farebox codes (placed below the farebox number) did not become prevalent inside buses (whether "Tee-Yay" or " 'stoa") until after 1972 or '73 or so. This is why, for example, there is no documentation of a 2- or 3-letter code for the 12th Street depot (so much of a sardine can that buses were often left on the street parked outside for storage) which was closed after Hudson ('HUD') depot was put into operation in '72.

As for the Jackie Gleason Depot in Brooklyn, it had once upon a time been known as Fifth Avenue ('FI').

The other depots' codes were as follows:

NYCTA:
- East New York = ENY
- Ulmer Park = UP
- Flatbush = FLA
- Fresh Pond = FP
- Crosstown = XT
- Jamaica = JAM
- Flushing = FLU
- Queens Village = QV
- Castleton = CA, originally SI
- Yukon = YUK
- Edgewater = EDG (?) or EW (?)
- 126th Street (Manhattan) = MAN

MaBSTOA:
- Coliseum = COL
- West Farms = WF
- Kingsbridge = KB
- Walnut = WAL
- 54th Street = FFS
- 100th Street = OHS
- Amsterdam = AMS
- 132d Street = OTS
- 146th Street = OFS

But yeah, most depots today are "new" and/or "built over." What would the Quill depot's code be if this type of system were still in place - "MJQ"?

On occasion, I have used "coins" to pay fares, and they take 'em. But I hold on to my trusty MetroCards, won't go "OMNY" unless they put a gun to my head to force it.

When they had the old buses out every holiday season, I met one person who had been assigned to 54th Street depot and was there for a few years before it closed - then was transferred to Hudson depot where he stayed until that was closed! He always said that in terms of depot assignments, he had all the luck.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Greatly appreciate your taking the time to post this listing of farebox codes; thanks to you, I now also know that codes were not used until after 1972/1973. Being from "Joisey", I was totally unaware of this.

I now wonder how PS issued codes for their many garages; recall, in my day, ALL buses (operated by PS) were equipped with NCR registers; the Hudson County independents, of course, would have had no need for farebox codes, as each company only had one garage/depot.

Back around early 2002 (the last time I visited the NYCTM) I remember they had a farebox for sale (I believe it was from the '70s); believe me, had Your's Truly had the $$$$, and a way to get it over to "Noo Joisey", I would have not hesitated to purchase it! Wink

The old "indy" companies I grew up with all used ancient glass-topped Johnson "D"-types; the very last I remember was back in 1997, serving aboard (of all things!) an ex-WAMATA "Dangerfield", running on the old NHBL #1 to JSQ! Shocked

Ahhh, memories.......... Wink

"NYO"

["5 NEW YORK"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbush depot, 1968; here we have a nice portrait of "Jetson" Fishbowl #1, snoozing peacefully in the sun.

The farebox can just be glimpsed through the windshield...........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153213

["78 MILL BASIN"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queens Village garage, 1977..............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153265

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154778

["Q1 Bellrose"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castleton garage, 1975 (also, note vintage light fixtures on facade).............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154630

["R7"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: