BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What price nostalgia? (nostalgia holiday trains)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(see earlier postings) Should be still with us-and on exhibit today---------SURFACE TDH-5106/SURFACE C-45 "Patton"/FACL "Jetson" Fishbowl/ORIGINAL "Jackie Gleason" bus #2629/FACCo 1930 YELLOW ("open topper")-----------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An idea--------IF the "Tee-Yay" wants to continue to run "Holiday trains" (and scale back present operations)-just run a short "Arnine" shuttle between Court Street and Hoyt-which would also be a historic echo of the 1936-1946 "HH" Court Street shuttle (perhaps this could flush out a good percentage of "hooligans"-with a short consist only running between two stations)-------"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read that there are still a few old BSS/Bridge Line (aka "Rocketeer") cars in SEPTA's Fern Rock yard (BSS)-that are in quite a shabby state indeed; sure hope that these rare relics of another age in rapid transit are not destined for the scrap heap-at a future date; Your's Truly has seen sobering photos of cars that were "rescued" (I use this word quite loosely) by different electric rail groups-only to allow these cars to sit exposed to the weather for decades------what we lose-we cannot bring back------- Sad "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding "Holiday trains" and regular fan trips---------a factor to also consider here is the installation of CBTC signalling replacing traditional block signals; AFAIK the historic rolling stock cannot operate on lines that are CBTC-signalled-----I know a lot of CBTC work has been going on with the "Eye-En-Dee's" Queens trunk line (AFAIK the Flushing line is now all CBTC); I cannot see the "Powers That Be" spending BIG $$$$$ to re-equip the historic trains to be able to allow these consists to operate on lines that no longer use traditional block signals----------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a "Holiday Nostalgia Train" shuttle were indeed to operate between Hoyt and Court Street-these trains could only run in and out of the Court Street station by using Track #A1; #A2 (approaching Court Street) is OOS and the third rail has been partially taken up; the display cars stored on #"A1" could be relocated during this period of special operation to free up #"A1" for holiday nostalgia shuttles-----just this fellow's 2 1/2 cents worth Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just read that-this past Saurday-the last two "Holiday Nostalgia" train runs of the day were suspended due to "hooligan-ish acts"------------friggin' sad (I would not be at all surprised if these specials do not run next year)----------- Sad
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
just read that-this past Saurday-the last two "Holiday Nostalgia" train runs of the day were suspended due to "hooligan-ish acts"------------friggin' sad (I would not be at all surprised if these specials do not run next year)----------- Sad

That's one reason why I usually select the noon train out of Second Avenue. In the event that, as the day progresses, things get out-of-hand as you've read and indicated. I selected one earlier train one year and later that day, the whole thing had to be taken out of service because of a flat wheel on one of the cars. Yep, I think we can all agree, as the old saying goes, "things ain't what they used to be." Sad Crying or Very sad

Oh, and I actually rode in a "Low-V." As part of the festivities for Opening Day at Yankee Stadium (II) in 2018. A shame they couldn't have taken departing passengers back to Manhattan after the game was over.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: Things always "go sour" during these "holiday runs"-be it issues with the trains-or-the stupidity of asinine jerks on board Sad As I had said earlier-if these runs are "scrapped" for the 2024 holiday season-Your's Truly would not be the least bit surprised Crying or Very sad As I had said earlier-these punks (who certainly need help) pocess no restraint when they trash a current train-they certainly are NOT going to show respect (or restraint) for a historic train; the glory days of safe and sane ERA and NRHS fan trips are-sadly-now long long gone------ Crying or Very sad "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot help but shudder when I think of how the wooden "Q" El cars would fare (if a operational set of these iconic cars were still around) with wide-spread "hooligan hijinks" now sadly "status quo" during these holiday nostalgia trips; good thing that the "Standards" or the "D's" are not being subjected to this abuse (ditto the historic buses)-as are the historic "Arnines"---------- Sad "NYO" (BTW:"Santa Con" is back in town on Saturday the 9th; just hope a bunch of "Stewed Santas" don't decide to "take a "Holly Jolly hop" on the Arnines-thinking the last stop on the train is the North Pole) Sad

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One cannot help but wonder if extra security will be hired to guard the historic rolling stock on display at Court Street; with the city now in a tailspin ("da Bronx" is in the news just about each day now) you cannot help but think of how easily low-life cretins could trash the historic cars on display (a "repeat offender" would probably only get the usual "slap on the wrist' anyway) Sad -----------Back in the heyday of the ERA-not only was there a greater selection of historic trains to ride-but also-lines that no longer exist; none of the original "Els" exist today----------the Bowling Green shuttle is also long defunct-as is the "rinky-dink" shuttle out of 9th (Brooklyn) until 1975-------through the 60's-fan trips aboard sets of "Q's" were frequent and well-patronized (with no "Q" set in existence today-such excursions are no longer possible)------------only one R-11 exists; solid trains of R-12/14/15's-likewise-are also no longer possible; only one of the 1938 "WF" cars is still with us today (there were still plenty of these cars in work trains through the 1970's)------------the "juice fans" who rode on those long-ago ERA and NRHS trips so long ago-are now either up there in age-or-sadly-long since passed on to that big carbarn in the sky Sad----------with the city now so rife with such serious (and often deadly) incidents on both the streets and on the subways nowadays-------one cannot help but wonder if it is prudent to do away with nostalgia runs altogether; sadly the law-abiding enthusiasts (and the general public) get the shaft as usual----------but--------I certainly do not see things getting any better-in fact------I can only see the situation getting far worse than it is now-----a plethora of non law-abiding factors are now in play----------- Sad "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the "Tee-Yay" decides to run any sort of "nostalgia" trains in 2024-I would not be at all surprised if the fares charged were quite pricey (think of the insurances rates for these historic trains); also-liability in case of "free-wheeling" (and possibly "high") thrill-seekers sustain injuries while aboard; if an NYPD officer was assigned to each car-again-think of the $$$$$-------------if it were decided to "retire the prewar trains and only run the historic postwar cars-----I would not be surprised at all-----sadly-using these cars would still not banish the "hooligans" and their unpredictable hell-bent actions which ruin the fun for all Sad "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your's Truly has been reading the opinions of other law-abiding transit enthusiasts elsewhere-all are in accord that the "hooligan" situation aboard the Holiday Nostalgia Trains is light-years beyond hopeless; before these beautiful and historic trains are trashed by ignorant %$#@!&$! I'd rather see the "Tee-Yay" just stop running the (Personally-I think this is one of the reasons that the historic "Holiday Buses" were sidelined years ago; and "Santacon" is also in town today as well----God help us----------- Sad
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am reminded of a routine on one of the late "Brother" Dave Gardner's "ablums," in which he said:

"They say, 'Let's do that again.' Now how you gonna do that? Again?! You can't do anything again, brother! Once it's done, it's gone, man! You can do somethin' similar . . . "

And that seems to spring to my mind when I hear about this deteriorating situation. An ever-loving shame, really.

Oh, and the car I was on, on the SB trip from 145th to 2nd last week was 381.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: I rode the "Nostalgia Specials" back in the early 80's---I rode both the "Standards"and the "D"-types; the last I rode the old "Arnines" was when they were still running on the rush-hour "CC"-back in 1975 and early 1976 (I greatly prefer the happy recollections I'll always treasure-to riding on a "special" today alongside today's boisterous cut-up "characters")----------"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On SubChat I was greatly pleased (and surprised!) to see a photo of one of the hulking BSS "Rocketeer" cars posted along with a poster thinking of one of these Art-Deco beasts running beneath CPW (the "Rocketeers" were TOUGH characters-for sure); think of a train of these beefy beasts rocketing along (pun intended!!) on the "Eye-En-Dee" on an express dash along CPW------WHAT A SHOW!! Shocked Wink "NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: