BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(UPDATED) NJT stops using Philly GREYHOUND terminal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, also, that, into the early 1960's, Atlantic City still saw quite a bit of activity, both covention and vacation-wise.

Through the 1950's, lengthy PRR trains from New York, and PRSL trains from Philadelphia/Camden brought carloads of convention-goers to the big hotels by the boardwalk.

(Direct NYC-AC service via the PRR ended in 1961)

PSNJ issued postcards showing 4104's superimposed over a background of the Atlantic City boardwalk and hotels (2 1/2 hours from PABT to AC, via express buses using the NJ Turnpike)

LINCOLN TRANSIT's "LINCOLN LIMITEDS" also ran down to AC from the PABT (Upper Level Gate #117)

In Atlantic City, LINCOLN TRANSIT buses used the Lincoln Bus Terminal, on Arkansas Avenue.

At Ocean City, they used the PS Terminal, at 9th St. and Atlantic Avenue; at Wildwood, the buses used the PS Terminal Oak Avenue & Boardwalk.

LINCOLN TRANSIT also had a station in Queens (Travelers Ticket Agency on Jamaica Avenue), and, also, in the Bronx (Concourse Travel Bureau, Grand Concourse)........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....as per the aforementioned "LINCOLN TRANSIT" tt from 1964, the buses were still carrying package express.

A tt footnote tells passengers that all buses carry packages.

LINCOLN TRANSIT then also served the Lakewood Naval Air Station.

A "PS" notation designated that this particular run operated via PS.....

"NYO"

["Lincoln Limited-Turnpike Express"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this day in 1966, direct train-connection bus service between the E-L terminal at Hoboken and Rockefeller Center ended.

The buses used in this service were owned by PSNJ.

Stops included:

8th Avenue (W. 42nd St.)

W. 34th St. (Hotel New Yorker)

W. 32nd St.

However, PS continued to operate the "local" #63 line between the E-L Terminal in Hoboken and the PABT (NJT still operates this line today)

"NYO"

["Erie-Lackawanna Train-Connection Bus"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
....as per the aforementioned "LINCOLN TRANSIT" tt from 1964, the buses were still carrying package express.

A tt footnote tells passengers that all buses carry packages.

LINCOLN TRANSIT then also served the Lakewood Naval Air Station.

A "PS" notation designated that this particular run operated via PS.....

"NYO"

["Lincoln Limited-Turnpike Express"]

I think you meant Lakehurst NAS which is now part of Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, the only military base in the US that has facilities for all six US Armed Forces.

Lakehurst was infamous for its site of the horrendous "Hindenburg" explosion, when it was the terminus for the Zeppelin service from Germany.

Lincoln Transit was an interline carrier, and as we discussed elsewhere, in the summertime, it ran a pool with Eastern Greyhound Lines between Atlantic City, New York City, and Montreal.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I saw my error; in the TT, it reads:

"LAKEWOOD-NAVAL AIR STA.-LAKEHURST AND TOMS RIVER"

Years ago, Mom told me that her stepfather and some of his friends took a CNJ train down from Jersey City to Lakehurst, to see the gutted, twisted, remains of the once-proud HINDENBURG (Mom also remembered she and my dad (they then were married only two years) seeing the Hindenburg over New York, from their Union City apartment roof.

I know that quite a few of the curious crowded onto CNJ trains to visit was was left of the now-smoldering, once-great airship; PSNJ, I'm sure, must have brought down busloads from New York and Newark.

In the aforementioned 1964 LINCOLN TRANSIT tt, patrons, who are wishing to charter a bus, are advised to go to Room #2046 at the PABT (Telephone: PE-6 1640)......

"NYO"

["Ride Air-Ride Air-Conditioned Buses"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioning the "HINDENBURG" reminded me of this.......

FLXIBLE's most notable contract was for GOODYEAR; GOODYEAR, at the time, was given a sub-contract for their lighter-than-air-blimps.

Another subtract from GOODYEAR had FLXIBLE manufacturing the control cars, fins, and rudders used on the blimps......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the rare photo on this page (part of an interesting several page FLXIBLE historical bus photo gallery) showing a CLIPPER equipped with a portable mooring mast for a GOODYEAR blimp.......

www.flxible.net/historypics4.html
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Flix had bought any Flxible's, would they be "Flix-Flex"? Shocked Razz
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
If Flix had bought any Flxible's, would they be "Flix-Flex"? Shocked Razz

...........isn't that the same sound that the windshield wipers made on a Flex? Wink

"NYO"

["Zephyr Lines"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Information, photos, etc. on Flx Clippers "down under"........ Wink

www.flxibleclipperclub.com.au/wp/

["Pioneer Express"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.....

Recall, that GREYHOUND once operated Flxible CLIPPERS; imagine, now, had GREYHOUND not gone with GM exclusively starting with the SCENICRUISERS, they MIGHT have, perhaps, also continued to purchase FLXIBLE coaches, including the "VISTALINER" (the Scenicruiser-wannabe!) and the "Hi-LEVEL"........

"NYO"

["Go Greyhound"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.....

Recall, that GREYHOUND once operated Flxible CLIPPERS; imagine, now, had GREYHOUND not gone with GM exclusively starting with the SCENICRUISERS, they MIGHT have, perhaps, also continued to purchase FLXIBLE coaches, including the "VISTALINER" (the Scenicruiser-wannabe!) and the "Hi-LEVEL"........

"NYO"

["Go Greyhound"]

Greyhound only bought a fraction of what they bought from GM from Flxible, and only a few of their divisions did so. Even less than what they bought from ACF-Brill. GM was clearly superior by almost any measure.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You make a good point.

Though quite a few 1940's/early 1950's GREYHOUND photos show many ACF-BRILL and FLXIBLE buses, it was obvious that YELLOW and GM indeed coaches dominated the fleet.

At one time, many (myself included) never though the era of a GM-dominated GREYHOUND fleet would, one day, come to an end.

However, MCI more than stepped up to plate, and gave the carrier a new image, an image that had the MCI as the new "flagship" of the Company.

BTW:

1:

Regarding GREYHOUND's "Buffalos/Bison", were these buses more or less scattered throughout the system, or, were they pretty much operating in only certain areas?

Did any "Bison" operate into the PABT?

#2:

In the summer of '73, my folks and I took a bus tour up to Canada; though the tour was operated by "PARKER TOURS", I remembered our "Bison" (the FIRST I ever rode on!) being lettered "CASSER TOURS".

Were these two affiliated companies?

Appreciate any info.....

"NYO"

["Casser Tours"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

BTW:

1:

Regarding GREYHOUND's "Buffalos/Bison", were these buses more or less scattered throughout the system, or, were they pretty much operating in only certain areas?

Did any "Bison" operate into the PABT?

#2:

In the summer of '73, my folks and I took a bus tour up to Canada; though the tour was operated by "PARKER TOURS", I remembered our "Bison" (the FIRST I ever rode on!) being lettered "CASSER TOURS".

Were these two affiliated companies?

Appreciate any info.....

"NYO"

["Casser Tours"]

1. The Greyhound PD-4107's were used throughout the US. If you recall my narration of my first ride to Montreal on EGL, it was a 4107. They were used on almost all Montreal trips. They were extensively used on Greyhound pool trips with other carrier's, to match what the other carrier's contributed to the pool.

2. IIRC, Casser Tours was affiliated with several other carrier's, including Manhattan Transit, Rockland Coaches, Red and Tan, Mountain View, Mohawk, and even Lincoln Transit. I believe they all used a red and tan or cream color scheme. They may have been owned by various members of the same family. Not sure, as I never really was that interested in their operations.

I did come up with this extract of ICC proceedings when doing a search online... interesting details starting on page 96. I didn't read the entire scroll....
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Interstate_Commerce_Commission_Reports/0KJAAAAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=jerome+casser&pg=PA699&printsec=frontcover
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

EXACTLY what I wanted to know.....thank you! Wink

I see that CASSER TOURS was part of an "extended family", so to speak; this remins of, many years ago, when you would see various North (and South) Hudson "Boulevard" buses, RED & TAN, and DROGIN buses together at one garage or another.

These old outfits were, of course, all basically "kissin' cousins".

Through the 1970's, I can still remember a travel agent/ticket office on Bull's Ferry Road in North Bergen (NJ), on the western side of Bergenline Avenue/Anderson Avenue.

Though I can still see the modest structure in my memory, I cannot recall what company used it (Manhattan Lines, perhaps?)

I also can remember a bus station (Bergen County) that was located either on Route 4 (or, was it 17 or 46?) that I believe SHORT LINE used.

Again, I am going back many years.

Thanks, also, for the information on GREYHOUND's distinctive "Buffalos"; by the 70's, I remember beginning to see them running for DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, and PS/TNJ (I think MANHATTAN LINES also operated "Bison")

The bus picture in my general area of "Joisey" has changed so drastically that it bears no resemblence to what I can remember, 40-odd years ago; all the colorful variety presented by the old "indy" carriers has long since been absorbed into NJT and its less-than-inspiring paint scheme....... Sad

"NYO"

["Manhattan Transit Lines-Little Ferry Division"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: