BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(UPDATED) NJT stops using Philly GREYHOUND terminal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Note the different prewar and postwar PS paint schemes represented here; note, too, that some of the old front-engined antiques were still in service, alongside shiny new GM's, proudly displaying the new PS gray.

DE CAMP, also, like PSNJ, were still operating a number of older late-1920's/early 1930's front-engined buses early in the postwar era......

Note the later 1930's YELLOW sporting a rooftop luggage rack.

These racks must have been quite full on the AC runs, back in the day..... Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...check out this AWESOME 1940's COLOR photo taken of PS buses at the old "ALL-AMERICAN" terminal (note different color schemes!)

Note, also, the large and prominent painted sign, that, in part, touts "QUAKER CITY BUS CO."......... Wink

https://www.fotosearch.com/clt011/kr132201
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
...check out this AWESOME 1940's COLOR photo taken of PS buses at the old "ALL-AMERICAN" terminal (note different color schemes!)

Note, also, the large and prominent painted sign, that, in part, touts "QUAKER CITY BUS CO."......... Wink

https://www.fotosearch.com/clt011/kr132201

Great photo…
In the ‘70’s, that painted sign, though faded, was quite visible from 41st street, between 7th and 8th avenues. In fact, it may still be there, but covered by a new building…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I well remember that same old sign when I was working in New York; I always meant to photograph it, but, somehow, never did. Sad

Interesting to note the PS paint schemes, both prewar and postwar.

Recall, also, into the postwar period, you'd see PS intrastate buses sporting different paint schemes than the interstate buses.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about bus terminal nostalgia; check out this rare 1943 photo of the GREYHOUND terminal, in Columbus, Ohio...... Wink

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/150870656237560958
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

TRY not to hyperventilate too much...... Wink

https://www.drivingfordeco.com/vanished-new-york-city-art-deco-the-pennsylvania-capitol-greyhound-terminals/

Many rare interior photos of both old terminals are here; also, be sure to note the notice for GREYHOUND to be moving into the PABT.

Too, there are also a number of rare artist's conceptions for the new "UNION BUS TERMINAL" (PABT)....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUTSTANDING 1950 newsreel of the "Port-of-Authority"* when it opened in 1950.......BEYOND nostalgic!

PSNJ, ORANGE & BLACK, and RED & TAN buses are all here; PLUS, we even get a RARE bonus of seeing TRAILWAYS rollsigns being changed!!Shocked Very Happy

The shops in the concourses are also shown (one shop repaired ladies' handbags and hosiery!)

So much of what is seen here was still on hand through the 1960's, and into the 1970's......enjoy! Wink

"NYO"

https://portfolio.panynj.gov/2015/11/05/throw-back-sample-1950s-port-authority-bus-terminal/

*It is amazing to watch this short film and see how tremendously everything has changed since 1950....and, sadly, not for the better....... Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......Your's Truly just finished watching this wonderfully nostalgic (and historic) newsreel again; watching it a second time enables you to catch the small details you might have missed the first time around.

It is easy to see why that the original terminal was hailed as "The Most Beautiful Bus Terminal In The World"; recall, also, the the terminal was built in an era when a modern building could be sleek, stylish, attractive AND functional.

Those days, sad to say, are now long, long gone.

For Your's Truly, it was a nostalgic treat to see "Joisey" buses entering the terminal, and seeing so much that I still clearly recall from my 1960's childhood.

Especially loved seeing TRAILWAYS roller curtains being changed....now THAT was truly RARE footage! Shocked Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After (again) watching the 1950 newsreel on the new PABT, I wonder if the PA preserved any of the original signage, main concourse ceiling clock, and other pieces of the original structure before "improvements" replaced them.

As the PABT was once "The Most Beautiful Bus Terminal In The World", one might reasonably assume that at least a few artifacts were rescued from the original facility, instead of being relegated to the scrap heap.

Regarding the scenes in the newsreel showing TRAILWAYS roller curtains being changed, going way back in time, I can remember some drivers, after their last passengers debarked, re-setting the roller curtains for the outbound run.

In later years, I can clearly remember some drivers on the former ORANGE & BLACK routes (later NJT's #159R) swinging around the "loop", and, just before pulling into thier respective platforms, pausing to re-set the roller curtains before pulling up to load outbound passengers.

It's all so long ago, now......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
OUTSTANDING 1950 newsreel of the "Port-of-Authority"* when it opened in 1950.......BEYOND nostalgic!

PSNJ, ORANGE & BLACK, and RED & TAN buses are all here; PLUS, we even get a RARE bonus of seeing TRAILWAYS rollsigns being changed!!Shocked Very Happy

The shops in the concourses are also shown (one shop repaired ladies' handbags and hosiery!)

So much of what is seen here was still on hand through the 1960's, and into the 1970's......enjoy! Wink

"NYO"

https://portfolio.panynj.gov/2015/11/05/throw-back-sample-1950s-port-authority-bus-terminal/

*It is amazing to watch this short film and see how tremendously everything has changed since 1950....and, sadly, not for the better....... Sad

Thanks for posting that video, NYO...

Great memories of the original PABT, before it was expanded in 1963. That was when Greyhound moved in, and to accommodate them, they built the three new auto parking levels, and converted the original rooftop parking deck into the new Upper Bus Level, mainly moving middle-distance carriers like Short Line, and Suburban Transit from the Lower 'long-distance' bus level. They also added another Post and Coach counter restaurant to serve the Upper Level.

Meanwhile, they built fancy new ticket plaza's on the Main Level to serve Greyhound. To be competitive, Trailways moved from its original ticket windows on the South wall to its own fancy ticket plaza.

The next major expansion was around 1980 when the North Wing was added...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are most welcome! Wink

I think you will agree, that, when the North Wing was added, it also brought about the end of the classic, stylish terminal that you and I both knew and loved. Sad

I well recall that summer of 1980 all too well; my dad passed away in July, and the PATH tubes were on strike for that entire summer (this is why I was using "The Port" as part of my commute from southeastern Bergen County)

I remember all the construction/demolition work going on, and I can remember the convoluted trek (through plywood partitions) the ex-ORANGE & BLACK rush hour "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS", and what a headache it was trying to locate the new platform where the buses were loading.

After these Improvements", to "Port-of-Authority" became, to me, just another transportation facility; the "new terminal" now had all the insipidness of a typical modern shopping mall. Sad

After the 9/11 attacks, I no longer felt safe traveling through the Lincoln Tunnel or on the subways (I was taking the ferry from Hoboken during the warmer months); never in my life had I ever had this feeling of uneasiness, when passing through areas I once passed through simply for the fun of it.

At the time I retired in 2004, NJT was replacing the VOLVO artics (which I HATED) with the new NEOPLAN artics (these buses have recently themselves been replaced by a third generation of artics, from NEW FLYER)

Back in the early NJT era, I remember, on the former O&B platforms, they were still using the old metal pivoting signs, that would be turned to show the correction route number of destinations of the next bus (I remember that the expresses then stopped running at 7pm).

Cannot believe this is now over 40 years ago.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

......you mentioned SUBURBAN TRANSIT; when my godmother (who worked near the UN, and commuted via the ORANGE & BLACK and SURFACE for some years) married and moved down to a neighborhood in North Brunswick, then just being developed.

On a foggy night in late 1964/early 1965, Mom and I met here during the PM rush on the main concourse, and we then boarded a SUBURBAN Fishbowl for New Brunswick; this was quite exciting for both Mom and I, as this was the first time we had ever ridden a "long distance" bus out of "The Port".

At New Brunswick, we caught a cab (a tail-finned 1960 Plymouth!), and I still remember the driver not being that familiar with the route to the new neighborhood, and his often rolling over people's new lawn areas in the fog (late that Sunday afternoon, Mom and I took a PRR MP-54 back to Newark, where we caught a PRR/PATH "joint service" train to Journal Square, where we then boarded a NHBL Old Look for Union City)

I can still clearly remember the novelty of getting to sleep in my godmother's still sparsely-furnished family room, and, then, very early Saturday morning, watching "COLONEL BLEEP" on her RCA (b/w) television!Wink

Whenever Mom and I visited her after that, we always took the PRR down from Newark (until she and her family moved to Delaware around 1968)

Man, talk about ANCIENT history.......Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....given that PSNJ was the largest bus operator in the Garden State for decades, I was always puzzled as to why PS did not have its own terminal in Philadelphia; recall, PS, since the trolley era, had its own off-street terminal (Sip Avenue) at Journal Square, while GREYHOUND had a modest "storefront" depot just across the street.

Hoboken, also, was served by a modest PS terminal (only a shed), which is still used today by NJT buses.

Too, remember the huge, multi-level PS Terminal in Newark (now long-gone); of course, Newark, after all, was PS headquarters, and was/is New Jersey's largest city.

And, like other New Jersey carriers, PS did (prior to the opening of the GWB Terminal) have an off-street terminal in Upper Manhattan (Into the 1960's, PS also had an off-street terminal at Exchange Place, Jersey City, which, like the facility at Journal Square, also dated back to the streetcar era......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are several nostalgic 1950's views of the old PSNJ terminals in Upper Manhattan, Exchange Place, and Hoboken......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157233 *

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157234 **

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157229

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157235

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157224

*/** (on the left of the picture, note the old PS center entrance trailer body being used as a waiting room; PS ceased using trailers on the ESSEX Division in 1935))

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154505 *** (Note GREYHOUND station on Sip Avenue)

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Into the 1960's, PS utilized a sleek, Art Deco municipal terminal in Hackensack, along with private carriers (sadly, this handsome facility has been since replaced several times over)Sad

Other carriers that then served Hackensack:

INTER-CITY

MANHATTAN LINES

WESTWOOD COACHES ("Ride The Blue Coach!")

Until July, 1966, Hackensack was also served by the commuter trains of the NYS&W (Butler-Susquehanna Transfer)........

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: