BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(UPDATED) NJT stops using Philly GREYHOUND terminal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

LUCKY is the man indeed who can say that he once road upon a "gen-you-wine" BRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Recall, not long back, we had been discussing the great little book by retired GREYHOUND driver Grady Hall Morgan; there was a chapter ("DRIVING THE ALASKA HIGHWAY") in which he describes in detail a 1971 charter run up to our 50th state.

He also, in detail, the "ALASKA KIT"; according to Mr. Morgan:

".......GREYHOUND had many chartered buses going up to Alaska during the summer months, and each bus carried with it a special 'Alaska Kit'......."

".........these packages contained extra fanbelts, spare headlamps, fuses, and other items that you would be hard pressed to find along the road, should the need arise......."

"....my bus had such a package . It had just arrived the night before, from the San Francisco shops. The air-conditioner had been overhauled, new brakes were installed, all tires were replaced with new ones, and the bus was serviced completely. It was then deadheaded to Stockton, especially for my charter....."

Talk about planning for every contingency...... Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--
Yes, that was the most memorable bus trip I have ever taken...
I started out from The Port on the Continental Trailways thru bus from New York to San Francisco, operated by Edwards Motor Transit division (former Lakes-To-Sea), as far as Cleveland. Then American Buslines from Cleveland all the way to Cheyenne, Wy. Changed there for Billings, Mt. That was the end of using my CTS annual passes. From Billings, I used courtesy trip passes on Intermountain Transportation Company via Great Falls to the border at Sweetgrass, Mt./Coutts, Ab. Then used another courtesy trip pass on Greyhound Lines of Canada via Calgary, to Edmonton. So far, all free. But from Edmonton to Fairbanks, I purchased a half-fare "employee rate" ticket on Canadian Coachways and Alaskan Coachways the rest of the way to Fairbanks.

I vividly recall that formidable Bruck. The distinctive small rear windows, The restroom located just ahead of the mid-coach bulkhead, that separated the twenty passenger seats from the freight compartment. And I mean freight! There was even a canoe on our trip, and the driver said they even have a coffins aboard! Shocked

The ride was like that of the old GM PD-4103's or as CTS called them "spring Jimmies". Much harder than the "Thunderbirds". At the time the Alcan highway was gravel in B.C. and the Yukon, but since it was easy to maintain with an occasional pass of a road grader, it was actually better than the paved portion in Alaska with its frost heaves.

The article in the Coachways magazine you linked, was unusually technically detailed for such a publication.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

This one's for you, my friend....enjoy! Wink

https://explorenorth.com/library/bus/coachways-bruck.html *

*(article from "THUNDERBIRD" magazine)

**Recall, also, GREAT NORTHERN also operated a BRUCK; this rare and handsome vehicle is today restored an on public display! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GREYHOUND ON THE ALASKAN HIGHWAY" (here's an interesting in-depth article along with a few vintage pics!) Wink

https://explorenorth.com/library/bus/greyhound-nwsc-alaska_highway.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BANGOR & AROOSTOOK 4104, 1957....... Very Happy

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/14554
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another timeless portrait of a handsome B&A 4104.... Very Happy

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/14469
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concord_Coach_Lines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailways_of_New_York
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629"]Here's another timeless portrait of a handsome B&A 4104.... Very Happy

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/14469[/quote

Nice shot! Thanks for posting the links, NYO...

I like the rarely used "atmospheric shot" of the bus in service on a rainy day.

I rode the New York to Fort Kent, Maine thru pool bus, operated by EGL to Bangor, thence BAR the rest of the way. One of the unique features of that ride was that the bus after leaving the depot at Madawaska, Me., crossed the border into the SMT (Eastern Limited) depot at Edmundston, NB, and then crossed back into Madawaska to continue to Fort Kent (the northern end of US-1). A border agent rode the bus from the border station to the Edmundston depot and back to insure no one got off in Canada without being cleared.
Informality that would be impossible in today's strict border control...

It was always a treat to see the BAR buses come into the PABT in New York, as part of the pool.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are most welcome, my friend! Wink

Photos like those of the B&A 4104's, I feel, are important research tools today; I am willing to wager that not a few bus enthusiasts (especially younger fellows) have little or no clue as to just how many railroads once utilized buses not only to connect with their trains, but, also, to replace train services which had become too costly to operate.

There is still so much "untapped history", if you will, in this sector of the bus "hobby".......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Dug this out of my files*.......VERY comprehensive listing of bygone railroad bus services........

"NYO"

https://www.chicagorailfan.com/greyrail.html

*(VERY well-done intro!) Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........I've old E-L through train timetables from the 1960's in my archives, that list "connecting motor coaches at Rockefeller Center" (to Hoboken); I believe these buses were operated by the E-L, and would guess that these buses might have been leased and not owned by the E-L
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update on the current GREYHOUND/NJT terminal situation in Philadelphia.......

https://whyy.org/articles/nj-transit-greyhound-bus-terminal-reconfiguration-philadelphia/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though PSNJ had its own "off street" terminal near the NY end of the GWB, and, also, in Journal Square (Jersey City), it is odd to think that, in such a big city as Philadelphia, PS never had its own terminal.

Recall, also back in the early 1930's, PSNJ began using the former WEST JERSEY & SEASHORE electric train terminal in Atlantic City.

From what I've read, PS, back then (despite the Depression), was doing a booming business, especially during the peak summer months, operating buses between Philadelphia and Atlantic City.

"Camel Back" (so named because of the distinctive roof hump over the center aisle) YELLOW coaches were de riguer for PS's Atlantic City services......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was VERY fortunate to come across this rare 1940's view of PS buses (prewar and postwar) at a VERY busy old ALL-AMERICAN BUS TERMINAL in Manhattan, near the site of the present PABT.

(An AEROCOACH can be seen in the background, as a bonus!) Wink

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/505106914452180984/
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Was VERY fortunate to come across this rare 1940's view of PS buses (prewar and postwar) at a VERY busy old ALL-AMERICAN BUS TERMINAL in Manhattan, near the site of the present PABT.

(An AEROCOACH can be seen in the background, as a bonus!) Wink

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/505106914452180984/

Great find Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: