BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GREYHOUND ALERT (from 1010 WINS)/"SNOWHOUNDS"/Etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Imagine if GREYHOUND (north of the border!) ever operated these "snow buses" with 1950's-era WESTERN FLYER bodies? Shocked

Never saw the likes of these monsters before...... Shocked

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/467459636321661026/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/464996730271406457/

I am not certain, but I believe that was operated by Brewster Transport, at a time owned by Greyhound Lines of Canada...so by a 'stretch', you could say Greyhound did indeed operate these... Smile

Here's a link to the present day operation...
https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/attractions/columbia-icefield/experience/
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the present day owner of Brewster, "Pusuit", is a part of Viad Corporation, the remaining direct descendant of the once mighty Greyhound Corporation, now just a speck of what is was in the '70's...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

INTERESTING, to say the least (also, appreciate the links!) Wink

One of things I always liked about the 1950's WESTERN FLYER buses were the high rear windows; QUITE distinctive!

Interesting, too, when you compare PREVOSTS of the 1950s to the WESTERN FLYERS of that same era; the front ends are not all that different, and, also, they both sport that distinctive FLXIBLE-style air scoop at the rear.............

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

In the photo I posted earlier (third link down on page one) note that the snowbound YELLOW sports the more modern WW2-era scheme.

I've also seen photos of 743's that had been updated in later years with silversiding, as well as a new paint scheme; many of these buses ran until the SCENICRUISRS began to arrive.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of 'Hounds in the snow, the following is from a PD-4501R manual I have in my collection:

"COLD WEATHER STARTING"

"....coaches are equipped with a cold weather starting fluid cup. When temperature is below 35 degrees F, it may be necessary to use a starting fluid....."

".....this practice should b avoided unless it is absolutely necessary. If necessary to use starting fluid, use one 7 cc. capsule during above-zero temperatures, and two capsules if temperature is below zero....."

"......to use the capsule, raise the cover of the small cup on the blower intake manifold, and force the capsule down onto the pointed tube in the cup. Squeeze the capsule dry, remove from cup and discard, and allow the spring-loaded cover to shut tightly. Start engine by the usual method....."

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of 'Hounds in the snow, the following is from a PD-4501R manual I have in my collection:

"COLD WEATHER STARTING"

"....coaches are equipped with a cold weather starting fluid cup. When temperature is below 35 degrees F, it may be necessary to use a starting fluid....."

".....this practice should b avoided unless it is absolutely necessary. If necessary to use starting fluid, use one 7 cc. capsule during above-zero temperatures, and two capsules if temperature is below zero....."

"......to use the capsule, raise the cover of the small cup on the blower intake manifold, and force the capsule down onto the pointed tube in the cup. Squeeze the capsule dry, remove from cup and discard, and allow the spring-loaded cover to shut tightly. Start engine by the usual method....."

"NYO"

I have done that many times with the old Detroit Diesel 2 stroke, when starting in frigid weather. Sometimes used the ether aerosol starting fluid. Nowadays, modern coach maker's strongly warn against using ether, and usually don't need it.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Speaking of wintertime operations, way back when.......

In 1953, NORTHLAND GREYHOUND took delivery of 16 VISICOACHES; these buses were unique in that they were equipped with retractable wheels at the rear.

The extra wheels were needed because, at the time, Minnesota had strict weight restrictions imposed on a number of highways that NORTHLAND buses traveled on, when spring arrived and the ground thawed.

The extra wheels supposedly gave the buses better weight distribution.

After the Spring thaw, these wheels could be retracted.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....one can only imagine how TOUGH it had to be to handle one of the huge PICKWICK NITE-COACHES when there was snow on the highways(!!) Shocked

IMMO, the highway coach drivers of years ago HAD to MORE than PROVE their steadiness in the days before snow-tires became commonplace.

The same could also be said for the long-haul truckers of that era (being a truck driver for nearly 40 years, my Dad certainly knew this well!) Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......speaking of "being steady", I would imagine that remaining calm would be a must when attempting to jump over 14 GREYHOUND buses*, even without SNOW(!!) Rolling Eyes

https://automotivehistory.org/evel-knievels-longest-jump/

*Note buses are all in the 4500 series......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier, I'd mentioned those massive "NITE COACH" brutes........

www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/columbia_coach/columbia_coach.htm
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also......

www.coachbuilt.com/bui/p/pickwick/pickwick.htm

(note the vintage "TEXACO" ad depicting a PICKWICK NITE COACH rumbling along through the snow! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER will we EVER see such magnificent diversity in the bus field again; these late 1940's/1950's photos almost magically transport us back in time, to an era when BUSES still LOOKED like BUSES, and NOT giant, mutated insects or milk cartons!!!! Shocked Razz

These classic Canadian (Winnipeg) buses are truly beautiful!!!!! Very Happy

https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/alltime/pics/winnipeg-commuterbuses.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the wonderfully nostalgic photos of the Canadian buses in the previous link, made me think that virtually all the long-established bus builders we once knew are now gone (at least MCI and PREVOST are still with us)

They often say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :in the late 1940's and 1950's, PREVOST was building transit and suburban buses that clearly were clearly inspired by the ACF/CCF-BRILL coaches of that era.

CCF-BRILL alo once built highway coaches that were virtual dead-ringers for the Flex CLIPPERS ("Voyageur).......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Quick question:

When did GREYHOUND finally retire the last of the GM-built buses (SCENICRUISERS/4104's/4106's)?

Being among the oldest, I'm guessing that the 4104's went either before the SCENICRUIERS, or about the same time.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Quick question:

When did GREYHOUND finally retire the last of the GM-built buses (SCENICRUISERS/4104's/4106's)?

Being among the oldest, I'm guessing that the 4104's went either before the SCENICRUIERS, or about the same time.....

"NYO"

The 4104’s were built 1953 thru 1960, the 4501’s 1954 thru 1956, but were all completely rebuilt in 1961 and 1962, the 4106’s were built from 1961 thru 1965, the 4107’s were built from 1966 on, but Greyhound Lines bought their last one in 1967.

They were pretty much all gone from the fleet by the mid 1970’s, IIRC.
There may have been some 4501’s modified into “combo’s” that last longer, but even some of those had their tandem dual rear assembly’s cannibalized to convert a few MC-7’s into combo’s…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: