BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passenger information survey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc224

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Passenger information survey Reply with quote

Hello,

my name is Marc Moll. I have an
unusual question and would appreciate your help. I have been told that you are the person to contact. It is about the history of bus service in New York and Washington
more specifically, about the bus stop announcements of the past.

I have been talking with an acquaintance about bus stop announcements and displays in the (1970)1980s and 1990s. I will also be writing a class paper on this topic (public transit).

My first question is: When were automatic stop announcements and displays introduced on buses and trains?

Did the bus driver have to call out the stops into the microphone before there were automatic stop announcements and displays?

Did bus drivers always announce stops in the 1980/1990s or only important stops?
Did bus drivers really do this when they had to announce stops themselves?

Or how were passengers supposed to know where the next stop was?
How was this handled in the cities?
What would you estimate the rate of those bus drivers who always announced the stops without being asked?

You would help me a lot

. I am looking forward to your reply.

With kind regards

Marc-Marcel Mol
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger information survey Reply with quote

marc224 wrote:
Hello,

my name is Marc Moll. I have an
unusual question and would appreciate your help. I have been told that you are the person to contact. It is about the history of bus service in New York and Washington
more specifically, about the bus stop announcements of the past.

I have been talking with an acquaintance about bus stop announcements and displays in the (1970)1980s and 1990s. I will also be writing a class paper on this topic (public transit).

My first question is: When were automatic stop announcements and displays introduced on buses and trains?

Did the bus driver have to call out the stops into the microphone before there were automatic stop announcements and displays?

Did bus drivers always announce stops in the 1980/1990s or only important stops?
Did bus drivers really do this when they had to announce stops themselves?

Or how were passengers supposed to know where the next stop was?
How was this handled in the cities?
What would you estimate the rate of those bus drivers who always announced the stops without being asked?

You would help me a lot

. I am looking forward to your reply.

With kind regards

Marc-Marcel Mol

Hello, and welcome to Bus Talk!

I can't be of much help in answering your question as to when the automatic stop announcements started, but from a passenger's perspective, on the local NYC routes I commuted on, it was in the last five or ten years...not sure. Prior to automatic announcements, in the past, driver's usually only would announce stops on request...usually for a sight-impaired or elderly or new rider unfamiliar with the route. In more recent times, I believe driver's were ordered to make announcements due to ADA compliance issues...

This forum is not very active, lately, and I would suggest you ask the question on this other forum, which might yield more response...
https://www.nyctransitforums.com/?_fromLogin=1
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it’s a troll/spam post. Especially when looking at the IP address.
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:

Oh? It fooled me…not the usual ‘spam’, trying to sell something…
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
GBL Rebel wrote:

When you read it, it looks legit. However, he was told we are the people to contact, and the registration IP address is in Germany. Sometimes they try to fit in, sometimes they go right to being a thorn. I didn’t delete the user, let’s see what happens.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
traildriver wrote:
GBL Rebel wrote:

When you read it, it looks legit. However, he was told we are the people to contact, and the registration IP address is in Germany. Sometimes they try to fit in, sometimes they go right to being a thorn. I didn’t delete the user, let’s see what happens.

And just an example of what I’m talking about, we have another new user from Germany. And the IP address just happens to be in the same group.

Reference Location: Bonn, Germany
Uncategorized Address: 53111 Bonn, Germany
Street Address: 53111 Bonn, Germany
Named Location: 53111 Bonn, Germany
Postal Code: 53111 Bonn, Germany

I removed any information other than zip code, city and country because it’s the right thing to do. Most register to slap a web address into the profile.
fabian224

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GBL Rebel"]
GBL Rebel wrote:
traildriver wrote:
GBL Rebel wrote:

And just an example of what I’m talking about, we have another new user from Germany. And the IP address just happens to be in the same group.

Reference Location: Bonn, Germany
Uncategorized Address: 53111 Bonn, Germany

Hello, I am not spam and not a troll.
I am interested in bus transport worldwide and that is why I write in this forum .
I come from Germany, that's right

I was banned the last two times and I don't know why, that's why I created a new account. I hope this is ok. Maybe I better put my post in Buses Worldwide?

I have heard that since 1990 bus drivers are obliged to announce the most important stops without being asked. Has this been implemented in reality?

Did bus drivers announce the most important stops before 1990?
Runcutter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that explains something.

With several decades in the business, I was there. Thus, I responded to his original information request with a pretty complete history as I remember it.

That was over a month ago, with no "thank you" or followup of any kind on his part. At least a response is there, in case someone does have a valid interest in the future.

So it goes.

Arthur
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming on here complaining he was blocked is rather interesting. If he was blocked, he wouldn’t be able to register again. What was removed was a duplicate of above, without any responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: