BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emergency cord on GREYHOUND buses?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Emergency cord on GREYHOUND buses? Reply with quote

From a 2005 issue of "REMINISCE" magazine:

An older reader recalled:

".....I was 10 and not well-traveled in 1948, when Mom put me on a Greyhound bus in Klamath Falls, to travel to Los Angeles, to visit relatives......"

"........we probably hadn't gone 50 miles when I hung my sweater on a convenient cord above the window; the driver didn't kick me off the bus, even though I had pulled the emergency cord, without knowing......"

This little snippet had me scratching my head.......Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency cord on GREYHOUND buses? Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
From a 2005 issue of "REMINISCE" magazine:

An older reader recalled:

".....I was 10 and not well-well traveled in 1948, when Mom put me on a Greyhound bus in Klamath Falls, to travel to Los Angeles, to visit relatives......"

"........we probably hadn't gone 50 miles when I hung my sweater on a convenient cord above the window; the driver didn't kick me off the bus, even though I had pulled the emergency cord, without knowing......"

This little snippet had me scratching my head.......Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

The so-called "emergency cord" was none other than the bell cord to signal the driver to stop. Nowadays, they have a push button replacing the cord on most buses Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildriver:

I had suspected as much myself, but wanted to get "official" word from one "in the know", namely yourself! Wink

In my family (and, in fact, most folks in my area, many years ago) referred to the bell cords as "buzzer cords" (Pull the buzzer, we get off at the next corner!")

The last time I rode an NJT (or ANY bus) was over four years ago; the NABIs have pull cords, which lights a "STOP REQUESTED" sign near the driver.

In my much younger days, Your's Truly remembers both "buzzers" and "chimes" (the chime always sounded like an "Avon" doorbell, missing its last ring!) Rolling Eyes

This also, often had a "chinky" sound, like an out-of-tune piano key......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Traildriver:

I had suspected as much myself, but wanted to get "official" word from one "in the know", namely yourself! Wink

In my family (and, in fact, most folks in my area, many years ago) referred to the bell cords as "buzzer cords" (Pull the buzzer, we get off at the next corner!")

The last time I rode an NJT (or ANY bus) was over four years ago; the NABIs have pull cords, which lights a "STOP REQUESTED" sign near the driver.

In my much younger days, Your's Truly remembers both "buzzers" and "chimes" (the chime always sounded like an "Avon" doorbell, missing its last ring!) Rolling Eyes

This also, often had a "chinky" sound, like an out-of-tune piano key......

"NYO"

The GM coaches all had the chime sounding bell. When they had restrooms, there was an "emergency to signal driver" button that produced a distinctive buzzing sound.

I recall Virginia State Lines division (Virginia Trailways) Eagle's used on their extensive former Consolidated Bus Lines territory (West Virginia, Kentucky, and extended to Cincinnati), which still had vast local runs in the coal region's; had buzzer's installed. People would get on and off anywhere on the highway's, like a city bus....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

The "buzzers" I recall most growing up were those on the Old Looks (a few NHBL Old Looks had a "DING" chime); when you pulled the cord to signal your stop, a loud "BRRRRAACCCKKKK!" would be heard.

Ditto for the PCC's on the City Subway.

I never cared for the "strips" that replaced the cords in later years; a lot of times, you'd have to press hard (and at a certain angle) to actuate the signal.

The last "heritage" NJT buses I remember having cords were the NJDOT Flex New Looks.....eons, ago........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking back, and IIRC,, on the “fishbowl’s”, when you pulled the cord, a single chime sounded, but if you pressed the signal button over the rear exit door, a buzzer sounded for as long as you held the button down.
Driver’s got annoyed at that, so naturally, school kids did so…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I was thinking back, and IIRC,, on the “fishbowl’s”, when you pulled the cord, a single chime sounded, but if you pressed the signal button over the rear exit door, a buzzer sounded for as long as you held the button down.
Driver’s got annoyed at that, so naturally, school kids did so…

traildriver:

Though I do clearly recall the single "chime" sounded on many Fishbowls when the cord was pulled, I recall some (like PSNJ's transit Fishbowls and, also, Old Looks) that emitted a harsh buzzer sound when the cord was pulled.

I also remember there were some Fishbowls, where, when you pulled the cord, you heard a "plink" that sounded just like hitting a key on a toy piano! Shocked .......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chime sound was made the old fashioned way…a mechanical device with a hammer striking a chime, like in a doorbell…these could be out of ‘tune’ if worn out or damaged. Nowadays the sound is electronically produced thru a speaker…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: