BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imagine if FACCo had a facility like this!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As always, greatly appreciate your input.

Quick question:

If "SURFACE" was no longer an "indy' company by 1956, I'm curious as to why their only Fishbowls (TDH-5301s) were lettered for "SURFACE".

Only 50 of these new buses were assigned to "SURFACE" routes, as you, of course, already know.....

"NYO"

["3208"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
If "SURFACE" was no longer an "indy' company by 1956, I'm curious as to why their only Fishbowls (TDH-5301s) were lettered for "SURFACE".

Only 50 of these new buses were assigned to "SURFACE" routes, as you, of course, already know.....

By then, it was "all in the family," if you know what I mean. Wink And not just by the shared green and cream paint scheme even on the Fishbowls. I've seen at least one pic taken along Broadway around 1961-62 where an M-104 was in front and a FACL #10 in back; other than the name on the sides, you could hardly tell the two apart. Only that ST had the route roll signs in red and destination in black on the front, was the other distinguishing factor preserved from Surface's "indy" days.

Why, even the last five A/C buses FACL ordered (6-10), originally lettered for 'FIFTH AVENUE COACH LINES', were re-lettered for 'SURFACE' and shipped over to 'da Bronx' once 3161-3210 arrived; that they were so re-lettered was painfully obvious when compared with those newly-ordered for ST. The typeface was different, for one thing, and the name fit entirely on the back side as opposed to being split between 'SURFACE TRANSIT' and 'INC.' on the 50 newly-ordered ones.

And that's not counting all the ex-FACCo and NYCO "Shermans" - plus the "Pattons" ordered for FACCo's Route 15 Jackson Heights - that were sent to ST in 1957 (and renumbered accordingly) to replace the most decrepit and worn-out (even then) of Surface's rolling stock (and that was before the remaining worst were retired once " 'stoa" began receiving their first Fishbowls [TDH-5303's] come 1963).

Moreover, Surface after 1956 was a FACL subsidiary; notice that FACL bus maps only highlighted the FACO and NYCO divisions, whereas ST had their own bus maps with, on the other side, its Westchester Street Transportation Company subsidiary's routes and map. But even with common ownership, FACL compartmentalized. (And, after the 1962 strike, sent their "best" buses - including the 1940 experimental "Sherman" 2500 - over to Westchester, leaving " 'stoa" to scrape for suitable buses to serve the public.)

(Alas, ST's bus maps only came out in 1958 and never updated in, say, 1961; hence you wouldn't know after 1960 that M-101 ran down Lexington Avenue and had a second "short-run" branch that ran from 125th to 23rd, likewise the Bx-50 Freedomland route that ran every summer season through 1964. The New York Times certainly didn't, as neither updated route was mentioned among those knocked out by that strike.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

EXCELLENT "condensed" article; a lot of historical interest, there.! Wink

Speaking of "look-alike"paint, awhile ago, our friend Mr. MaBSTOA 15 (sure hope he returns to us, soon!) asked me regarding the "DOWNTOWN BUS COMPANY"(old Jersey City "indy") was operated by "ORANGE & BLACK, as their "Shermans" shared paint that was virtually identical.

I assured him that there was no affiliation whatsoever between the two companies ("DOWNTOWN"was but a small "local"outfit), whereas "O&B" operated "big time" suburban models to the PABT, as well as providing "local" service" in Bergen and Hudson Counties.

Though I have said this many times previously, I only wish that FACClhad remained "indy", at least until the early 2000's, when the "Em-Tee-Yay" took over the Queens "indies".

I wonder if FACL would have purchased "Borough Bombers", or went to the RTS, purchasing the Mode l01 and 03.............

"NYO"

["AIR CONDITIONED"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........I often wonder at how "Queen Mary" drivers felt, that, now, without a conductor, they were also responsible for "taking fares", and also, now having to make change, once solely the responsibility of the conductor.

In London, as we've already discussed at length, bus conductors slowly began to disappear with the advent of new one-man, rear-engine buses during the 1960's.

After the last of the iconic "RT"-class were retired in 1979, the now-famed "RM" Routemasters were the only London buses to require conductors; the last "RMs" were retired in 2005, nearly 60 years after the last of the FACCo conductors vanished.....

"NYO"

["735"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FACCo in "da boroughs"............

FACCo served Manhattan, Queens, and, even for a spell, "da Bronx".

Though I have never read any mention of this, I often wonder if there was ever any interest/talk in FACCo entering Brooklyn?

Of course, Brooklyn was more than dominated by the "Bee-Em-Tee" (subways/els) and the B&QT (streetcars/trolleybuses) as well as "home territory" buses.

It would seem to Your's Truly that the BMT/B&QT would not have been too enthused in having the "tony" FACCo's buses enter the borough.......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FACCo in "da boroughs"............

FACCo served Manhattan, Queens, and, even for a spell, "da Bronx".

Though I have never read any mention of this, I often wonder if there was ever any interest/talk in FACCo entering Brooklyn?

Of course, Brooklyn was more than dominated by the "Bee-Em-Tee" (subways/els) and the B&QT (streetcars/trolleybuses) as well as "home territory" buses.

It would seem to Your's Truly that the BMT/B&QT would not have been too enthused in having the "tony" FACCo's buses enter the borough.......

"NYO"

What part of Brooklyn would have been considered "tony" at the time, I ask?

But given the "Bee-Em-Tee's" operation of the Brooklyn Bus Company as well as the B&QT network of streetcars and trolleybuses, makes one wonder that, once the city took over all of the above and then years later after the last trolleybuses were retired, "Brooklyn Bus Division" as on bus transfers referred to the ex-Brooklyn Bus Co. routes and "BMT Bus Division," those once operated by B&QT.

It should be noted that before the New York Railways Co.'s bankruptcy of 1919 which led to several routes being discontinued, one of those affected had traveled to Brooklyn. Had it held on, would it, at the time of the 1935-36 bustitutions, have constituted a New York City Omnibus penetration of Brooklyn? (NYCO ultimately served small sections of both Queens and "da Bronx" via their TB [Triborough Bridge] route - the only one of theirs to be started from scratch and not a converted streetcar route or acquired from other operators.) I also noticed on the 1974 Manhattan Bus Map, the lower Manhattan route paths drawn in such a way that if someone wasn't paying attention, he/she would have thought the M12 Spring/Delancey route traveled across the Williamsburg Bridge to Brooklyn adjacent to the BMT Broadway (Brooklyn) line, rather than terminating at/around FDR Drive as it actually did.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Well said.

By "tony", I was referring to FACCo itself; true, there were some areas of Brooklyn way back then that were considered "tony" by working-class folks (in the classic 1945 film,"A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN", Katie Nolan tells her daughter, Francie (they were then living in 1912 Williamsburg):

".....you can't play there; that neighborhood's expensive........"

On the flip side, Manhattan, "da Bronx", and, Queens were indeed areas where the "Eye-Are-Tee" ruled supreme for many years (the "Eye-En-Dee" would not be serving Queens until the early 1930's)

Though the "Eye-Are-Tee" did (and does) have a strong presence in Brooklyn, it was the "Bee-Em-Tee" that indeed was the "Monarch Of Transit" ("MoT") in that borough.

And, by the time that the sleek, modern, up-to-date "Eye-En-Dee" arrived in Brooklyn, they more than "stood out" from the the two older systems, especially the "Bee-Em-Tee", with its conglomeration of subways, antiquated elevateds, and streetcars.

That the "upper crust" FACCo charged a whopping ten-cent fare (a fortune to a lot of working-class "Joes" back then, instead of the universal nickle) indeed "set the tone" for a "tony"bus operation.

Recall, also, especially in FACCo's early years, that Fifth Avenue itself was still lined with many older mansions; too, remember how NO lowly streetcars were allowed to travel its length, nor was a subway permitted to run along beneath it.

Ironically, there WAS a 5th Avenue el in Brooklyn.............. Wink

"NYO"

["GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "tony", I was referring to FACCo itself; true, there were some areas of Brooklyn way back then that were considered "tony" by working-class folks (in the classic 1945 film,"A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN), Katie Nolan tells her daughter, Francie (they were then living in 1912 Williamsburg):

".....you can't play there; that neighborhood's expensive........"

On the flip side, Manhattan, "da Bronx", and, Queens were indeed areas where the "Eye-Are-Tee" ruled supreme for many years (the "Eye-En-Dee" would not be serving Queens until the early 1930's)

Though the "Eye-Are-Tee" did (and does) have a strong presence in Brooklyn, it was the "Bee-Em-Tee" that indeed was the "Monarch Of Transit" ("MoT") in that borough.

And, by the time that the sleek, modern, up-to-date "Eye-En-Dee" arrived in Brooklyn, they more than "stood out" from the the two older systems, especially the "Bee-Em-Tee", with its conglomeration of subways, antiquated elevateds, and streetcars.

That the "upper crust" FACCo charged a whopping ten-cent fare (a fortune to a lot of working-class "Joes" back then, instead of the universal nickle) indeed "set the tone" for a "tony"bus operation.

Recall, also, especially in FACCo's early years, that Fifth Avenue itself was still lined with many older mansions; too, remember how NO lowly streetcars were allowed to travel its length, nor was a subway permitted to run along beneath it.

Ironically, there WAS a 5th Avenue el in Brooklyn.............. Wink

"NYO"

["GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY"]

I remember reading a book about the city's bus history - or was it one of the Motor Coach Age articles, dealing with the first decade of MaBSTOA? - and they noted that FACCo's buses were the most well-kept and -maintained; Surface's the worst; and New York City Omnibus (a FACCo subsidiary) bus maintenance practices somewhere in-between those two extremes. Of course, by the time FACCo and NYCO were all folded up into the Fifth Avenue Coach Lines umbrella in '56, the fares of both divisions were the same. In the decade or so before that (meaning, post-1948), the gap between FACCo and NYCO bus fares (with the former, natch', being the more expensive) had considerably narrowed over time before it all but disappeared. This may be another reason why some old bus buffs don't consider post-1956 FACL "the real FACCo" but an incredible simulation or pretender. Especially given the NYCO routes showing 'FIFTH AVENUE COACH LINES' on the buses' sides from '56 on.

I've always said there should've been a follow-up, when it was possible to do it, to Oliver Ogden's FACCo book, detailing Fifth Avenue Coach Lines (and Surface Transit) from 1956 up to the 1962 strike which knocked them all out - and especially a section with countless photos of the first-gen Fishbowls (TDH-5301) in service to both. (As well as a book on " 'stoa" from its 1962 creation up to at least the last of the "New Look" types a.k.a. 1977 "Dangerfields."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Agreed 100%.

You and I have BOTH felt that there should be a "follow-up" book by Mr. Ogden, dealing with the later years of FACCo/FACL, AND, also, devoting more pages to the oft-forgotten Fishbowl.

Likewise, a good, detailed, well-illustrated publication on "stoa", its inception, history, and buses.....a book LONG overdue, IMHO.

I agree with you, that many bus buffs are only interested in FACCo during its double-decker years; this, I feel, is depriving them of so much rich knowledge and historical importance.

In the Ogden book, of course, double-deckers take up most of its pages (I have, of course, no problem with this, as I have always greatly loved these wonderfully nostalgic, lumbering old relics); too, there are many great photos of the once-familiar "Shermans" and "Pattons".

BUT....only ONE lone photo in a book with 110 pages of a FACL Fishbowl??Shocked

I have to be honest and say that, for whatever reason, Mr. Ogden did not consider the Fishbowl a "real" Fifth Avenue bus.......... Sad

"NYO"

["AIR CONDITIONED"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Ogden book, of course, double-deckers take up most of its pages (I have, of course, no problem with this, as I have always greatly loved these wonderfully nostalgic, lumbering old relics); too, there are many great photos of the once-familiar "Shermans" and "Pattons".

I have to be honest and say that, for whatever reason, Mr. Ogden did not consider the Fishbowl a "real" Fifth Avenue bus.......... Sad

"NYO"

["AIR CONDITIONED"]

Just as it seemed he didn't consider post-1956 Fifth Avenue Coach Lines to be FACCo . . . not with NYCO routes' buses displaying 'FACL' lettering on its sides . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

"NYO"

["AIR CONDITIONED"]

Just as it seemed he didn't consider post-1956 Fifth Avenue Coach Lines to be FACCo . . . not with NYCO routes' buses displaying 'FACL' lettering on its sides . . .

W.B,:

Another good point well taken.

Not only this, but there also had to be at least SOME photos depicting ex-FACCo/FACL buses operating for the "Tee-Yay" and "stoa", post-1962.

I would especially like to see another book put out on FACC0, perhaps entitled:

"FIFTH AVENUE COACH" THE LATER YEARS"

Too, also would like to see a new book dealing more with 1962 strike (and what led up to it), and the "liquidation' after 1962, as well as a roster showing the dispositions of the buses, post-1962.............

"NYO"

["ROUTE 15 BUSES STOP HERE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good idea for a book on FACCo/FACL's last years would be to have separate chapters for each type of bus operated, say between 1953 and 1962.

An idea for a smaller-type book (paper) could be:

"THE GMC FISHBOWL: THE OTHER 5TH AVENUE BUS".

Would also like to see a section of a new book of FACCo/FACL showing photos of the different roller curtains throughout the years.

IMHO, books like these are LONG overdue, and would finally fill the "gap" in the libraries "Noo Yawk"-area bus enthusiasts/historians.........

"NYO"

["1"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good idea for a book on FACCo/FACL's last years would be to have separate chapters for each type of bus operated, say between 1953 and 1962.

An idea for a smaller-type book (paper) could be:

"THE GMC FISHBOWL: THE OTHER 5TH AVENUE BUS".

Would also like to see a section of a new book of FACCo/FACL showing photos of the different roller curtains throughout the years.

IMHO, books like these are LONG overdue, and would finally fill the "gap" in the libraries "Noo Yawk"-area bus enthusiasts/historians.........

"NYO"

["1"]

Absolutely. Especially as the FACL (and, later in the year, ST) Fishbowls were the first in that entity to employ mylar roll signs from Transign. Though how they were laid out differed significantly between the two 1960 orders (for example, the first set had the #1 and #2 routes of the NYCO Division as "4th & Madison Aves" while the second listed them as "Park Ave So & Madison Ave"). The ampersand ( & ) also differed in its shape, in the two types of roll signs. A shame none appear to have been preserved; can you guess how much any surviving ones would have fetched on eBay?

Though the front roll signs were split in two up to that period, it seems the "Em-Tee-Yay" drew from that type layout after 1975-76 (dark blue at left, red at right) even though their roll signs - besides being upper and lower case - were all one long instead of two short.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

At the risk of repeating myself (once again) your roll sign knowledge is truly beyond exceptional; Your's Truly (being from "Joisey") finds it all quite confusing and complex....but so dang FASCINATING! Wink

I always think about being back in the early 60's, after the '62 strike, to see the formation of MaBSTOA, and the assignments/re-assignments of the former FACL/ST/NYO buses.

According to the chapter on MaBSTOA in Mr. Martin's "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (at least, there are TWO photos of FACL Fishbowls in this work!), the early MaBSTOA days HAD to be interesting, to say the least:

".......low-numbered, former NYO TD-4506s, dating back to 1946, were assigned to Surface routes, replacing some Macks......"

".......so much equipment changed hands, that a problem of number duplication existed. The quick fix was to add a 'T' prefix to ex-TA buses, and an 'S" to former Surface buses....."

"..........many buses simply ran on their new routes with no effort to replace destination signs.........."

Yes, it HAD to have been QUITE interesting, for the "Noo Yawk" bus enthusiasts of that day, for certain....... Very Happy

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

".......so much equipment changed hands, that a problem of number duplication existed. The quick fix was to add a 'T' prefix to ex-TA buses, and an 'S" to former Surface buses....."

Nor was it in bus numbers where there was the occupational hazard of numeral duplication. 'Twas the case in the route numbers. Remember the 1974 mass renumberings where, among others . . .
- M-1 Madison-Chambers became M22 . . .
- M-3 49th-50th Street Crosstown became M27 (today it's M50) . . .
- M-7 65th Street became M29 (it's now M66) . . .
- M-11 York Avenue became M31 . . .
- M15 23rd Street Crosstown became M26 (it has since become M23)
- Because there were three 15 routes in Manhattan - besides the one above, there was the M15 First and Second Avenues route which ironically was the only "Tee-Yay" route to keep its original number - the third 15, Fifth Avenue-Jackson Heights, was branded QM15 when the first roll signs for the " 'stoa" custom Fishbowls (T6H-5309A) were drawn up in 1972-73, which also unwittingly duplicated one of Green Bus Lines' express route numbers; the QM15 within the "Em-Tee-Yay" universe changed in '74 to M32, and is today Q32 . . .
- The #16 Elmhurst Crosstown also had a QM prefix added on in 1972-73 (again, duplicating a Green Bus express bus route number), and in 1974 became Q89; today it is defunct . . .
- M20 57th Street Crosstown became M28 (merged with M103 59th Street Crosstown in 1989 and then rebranded M57). Ironically, the M20 that kept its number - 116th Street Crosstown - would not long after be reassigned for a few years to the old FACCo 132nd Street depot where once the 57th Street line was housed.
The one duplicated number that did not get changed was the "phantom" pull-in, pull-out M10 Broadway route of FACCo which dated to 1921 - 14 years before the Eighth Avenue-Central Park West streetcar route was "bustituted" as (M)10. The ex-FACCo M10 Broadway route (which ran between "135 St Only" and 168th Street) would be discontinued in 1976. For those who wonder why, in photos taken "back then," some side signs on 'batwings' read '10 Broadway' on runs of the Eighth Avenue-Central Park West line, wonder no longer. They had up a sign for a completely different route.

And that was in Manhattan alone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 42 of 59

Jump to: