BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Imagine if FACCo had a facility like this!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Again, appreciate the always-interesting historical information you always generously share with us here.

Speaking of "da Bronx" literally "going to h**L, I had several good friends/co-workers when I worked downtown; all were from "da Bronx", and were of different ethnic backgrounds.

All but one stayed put (this was due to a family situation); the others moved to Brooklyn and Queens.

The situation was, as you know, getting bad.

My one pal, upon hearing that the 3rd Avenue El was going to be closed in "da Bronx", made plans to move himself and his elderly parents to Queens.

He would tell me how bad things were getting up there (he could still remember when it was still pretty nice in his area), and told me that: No way am I gonna wait on a corner for a bus with the area getting as bad as it is."

I recall that he moved his family to Queens, and began coming in on the "E" and/or the #7.

That the MaBSTOA buses running in "da Bronx" back in those trouble times didn't end up looking like IRT cars is still a bit of mystery (or miracle?) Question

"NYO"

["MaBSTOA"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Again, appreciate the always-interesting historical information you always generously share with us here.

Speaking of "da Bronx" literally "going to h**L, I had several good friends/co-workers when I worked downtown; all were from "da Bronx", and were of different ethnic backgrounds.

All but one stayed put (this was due to a family situation); the others moved to Brooklyn and Queens.

The situation was, as you know, getting bad.

My one pal, upon hearing that the 3rd Avenue El was going to be closed in "da Bronx", made plans to move himself and his elderly parents to Queens.

He would tell me how bad things were getting up there (he could still remember when it was still pretty nice in his area), and told me that: No way am I gonna wait on a corner for a bus with the area getting as bad as it is."

I recall that he moved his family to Queens, and began coming in on the "E" and/or the #7.

That the MaBSTOA buses running in "da Bronx" back in those trouble times didn't end up looking like IRT cars is still a bit of mystery (or miracle?) Question

"NYO"

["MaBSTOA"]

Many of those MaBSTOA Bronx buses, though not splashed with graffiti, still looked like IRT cars if compared with those running in Manhattan. But it's interesting that the Bx55 (which replaced the last remnant of the Third Avenue el) used both 1965 5303's and the newer order of custom 5309 Fishbowls.

It was obviously so bad in that period that there are very precious few pics of the last years of the CITGO sign at Bruckner Boulevard, and definitely no close-up pics thereof. (Three 1972 photos on nycsubway.org showed different shots thereof, taken at 126th and Second.) And definitely none at the point immediately after CITGO vacated that top and Kent cigarettes moved in.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You brought up a good point:

Most of the 70's-era MaBSTOA pictures are in Manhattan; by comparison, the number of photos taken in "da Bronx" are few.

Strange, a number of Brooklyn areas were, indeed, getting pretty "rough" by that time, but just look at how many hundreds of bus and subway photos were taken in those areas during those years.

A bit odd.

A few weeks after Your's Truly graduated high school in 1975, I took a ride on the IRT up to E. 180th St., to see the old NYW&B station house and view the old NYW&B trestle remains (I also wanted to ride the Dyre Avenue line, to see the former NYW&B station houses.

I can remember being blown away by seeing what seemed like miles of burned-out, gutted buildings, abandoned, rusting cars, and graffiti and rubble everywhere.......all I can say is that what I saw from the windows of a passing elevated IRT train reminded me of London after the Blitz.......''

"NYO"

["Sic Transit Gloria"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"(green) Fishbowls* Out On The Job (as is the norm)" (Southern Boulevard & Westchester Avenue, 1972......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154063

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

*Note bus ar rear has been "tagged"...... Sad

["5A TO PARKCHESTER"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dangerfield" 4722 at Tremont & Boston, 1970.

Even over 50 years ago, you can see that this neighborhood was fast declining (note, also, the vintage signage)........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153964

["40 to Sedgewick Avenue"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dangerfield" 4722 at Tremont & Boston, 1970.

Even over 50 years ago, you can see that this neighborhood was fast declining (note, also, the vintage signage)........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153964

["40 to Sedgewick Avenue"]

#4722 at the time was but a few months old. By 1974, it and six of its siblings (4721 thru 4727) would be reassigned to Hudson depot on Pier 57 in Manhattan, to augment the entire order of 62 'Dangerfields' for MaBSTOA (7300-7361) that came forth in early '74.

["M11 Abingdon Sq"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Actually, "movin' on down" (to HUDSON depot) was, in retrospect, more of a "movin' on up" scenario, escaping from the rough 'n tumble rigors of "da Bronx"....... Wink

"NYO"

["15 TO FORDHAM RD""]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 238th St., 1970........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153823

["BX38-238th ST & BWAY"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainbridge Avenue, 1970.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153832

["4 JEROME-CITY LINE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's first-generation Fishbowl #3143 at Webster & Fordham, 1970, looking a tad grimy.

Note that the fuel cap over is raised........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153814

["41 WEBSTER AVE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremont & Westchester, 1970.

Presenting a proud-looking Fishbowl #6541, while working on the "42", on a sunny day in da Bronx, over a half-century ago.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155108

["42 WESTCHESTER AVENUE"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tremont & Westchester, 1970.

Presenting a proud-looking Fishbowl #6541, while working on the "42", on a sunny day in da Bronx, over a half-century ago.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155108

["42 WESTCHESTER AVENUE"]

With a recycled front roll sign from the 1963 order, showing how West Farms was one of the four depots that got the first made-for-MaBSTOA Fishbowls.

Last edited by W.B. Fishbowl on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's first-generation Fishbowl #3143 at Webster & Fordham, 1970, looking a tad grimy.

Note that the fuel cap over is raised........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153814

["41 WEBSTER AVE"]

And to think that bus would have initially (in late 1960) been assigned to the depot where, at the time, the #1 and #2 Park Avenue South/Madison Avenue lines were assigned (that would be 100th Street, now Tuskegee Airmen depot).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You have often mentioned "recycled" roller curtains in the past; this seems to be an interesting topic on its own.

You seem to have a strong knowledge on this; it would seem that this was fairly common on "Tee-Yay" equipment, back in the day.

How and why were signs "recycled"?

Appreciate info, as always......

"NYO"

["NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You have often mentioned "recycled" roller curtains in the past; this seems to be an interesting topic on its own.

You seem to have a strong knowledge on this; it would seem that this was fairly common on "Tee-Yay" equipment, back in the day.

How and why were signs "recycled"?

Appreciate info, as always......

"NYO"

["NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY"]

Generally, those signs were taken out of the buses in question if they were being shuttled to different depots in Manhattan or the Bronx, and kept on hand for use on newer buses when they came, presumably to save on striking up new roll signs. (That's MaBSTOA now. The same principle applied to TA buses in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 39 of 59

Jump to: