BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

161st St., 1964/Along 3rd Avenue/Da Bronx
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....speaking of being OLD enough to remember both great BUSES and great MUSIC........well, here ya go......Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154882

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......and the beat goes on...... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153865

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155743
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
"The Good Old Days"* (1973)..........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156551

*Looks like the "General Lee" ("Dukes Of Hazzard") is getting squeezed between the (green) "Em-Tee-Yay" bus and the MSBA Fishbowl! Laughing

The MSBA Fishbowl, meanwhile, looks like its destination is Chicago - Grant Park is one of the main attractions there, and until 1969 there was a Coke sign mounted on the East Randolph Street side of a since-torn down building at 151 North Michigan Avenue which, for years, housed Randy's Restaurant - and which some have confused with 1572-1576 Broadway in Times Square, if they didn't see what was around the building (including, after 1955, the Prudential Tower). The "jump clock" dated to c.1953-54; the whole billboard was seen by those who would have passed through Grant Park over the years:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mss2400/51374298023/

According to a 1955 General Electric ad, the light bulbs used for that time display were PAR38's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Now THAT one TRULY evokes memories of the "old Times Square" that so many of us older fellows STILL recall so vividly; VERY nostalgic "Windy City" image! Wink

I am now thinking.....who ever though that the day would come when the lowly (and COMMONPLACE) incandescent bulb would be on the way to extinction. Sad

Growing up in the 60's, I mostly associated incandescent lighting in buses, rapid transit and commuter train cars, stations, and, of course, street lighting.

Yet another example of yesterday' commonplace becoming today's rarity....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Avenue & 34th st., 1982......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154149

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "Da Bronx"......

Every so often, the short -lived FACCo Route #12, which only operated from 1924 to 1928, is mentioned in our discussions.

Obviously, low ridership was a factor in the abandonment of this line; at that time, what would have been the nearest streetcar/el/subway lines to this bus route?

I know that, in 1925, FACCo established a new garage in the Bronx; where was this garage located, and how long was it in use by the company?

I would assume it no longer exists.

Appreciate, as always, any input....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "Da Bronx"......

Every so often, the short -lived FACCo Route #12, which only operated from 1924 to 1928, is mentioned in our discussions.

Obviously, low ridership was a factor in the abandonment of this line; at that time, what would have been the nearest streetcar/el/subway lines to this bus route?

I know that, in 1925, FACCo established a new garage in the Bronx; where was this garage located, and how long was it in use by the company?

I would assume it no longer exists.

Appreciate, as always, any input....

"NYO"

Route #12 was what, under Surface Transportation System aegis starting in 1928, became Bx-1 Concourse; FACCo's only other Bronx route, #14, upon changing hands, changed numbers to Bx-2 Concourse-Hub. STS had launched a lawsuit challenging FACCo's incursion into the Bronx - and had a helping hand along the way from the city fathers that gave STS exclusive rights to Bronx routes. So politics, not the issue of ridership, drove FACCo out of "da Bronx." But this background made it all the more ironic when, in 1956, Fifth Avenue Coach Lines (after the all-OK from a bankruptcy judge) acquired STS's parent Third Avenue Transit Corp. and merged it and STS into Surface Transit, Inc. By then, what by 1956 was the "NYCO Division" had the TB route running in two of three "legs" to the Bronx via the Triborough for the past 20 years.

Where this short-lived Bronx FACCo depot was, is anyone's guess.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Ah, so, it was POLITICS and not RIDERSHIP that ousted FACCo from "Da Bronx"......

Many years ago, Mom told me that they went up to the Bronx to visit a cousin of my grandmother's, who had just moved up to the Bronx. Mom remembered being about 8 or 9, so this would have been about 1926.

Mom thought they would have taken an El up to visit her, but, as per the instructions from her mother's cousin, they rode up via the bus ("a very long double-decker ride", according to Mom.

She loved it, though; she always enjoyed riding either on the top of a double-decker or on the El.....she said there was always so much to see along the way. She especially loved the open-top buses, and the BRT/BMT convertible El cars they rode out to Coney Island, via Park Row (these day excursions would have taken place between about 1925 and 1934; she married my dad in 1934)

Thanks, as always, for the great historical input...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the short-lived FACCo Bronx Route #12:

I've only seen one photo of a bus running on this line; it was a closed-top double-decker.

I'm curious if open-toppers were also used on this line; I know that some open-top buses were converted to enclosed upper decks in 1924.

According to what I've seen in the Ogden book on FACCo, the first "as built" enclosed upper deck buses did not enter service until 1930/1931, by which time, of course, Route #12 was no longer......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding demo #2500 (in FACCo paint), seen on page 100 in the Ogden book, on loan to Brooklyn, operating on the "#47 TOMPKINS".

Did this bus ever operate on any other Brooklyn routes?

Where did it eventually end up, after "demo" days were done?

Appreciate input.....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding demo #2500 (in FACCo paint), seen on page 100 in the Ogden book, on loan to Brooklyn, operating on the "#47 TOMPKINS".

Did this bus ever operate on any other Brooklyn routes?

Where did it eventually end up, after "demo" days were done?

Appreciate input.....

"NYO"

One early picture I saw of #2500 in action was on a very, very short-lived FACCo route, #22 Eighth and Fifth Avenues/Riverside Drive - the selling point was that it went through upper Manhattan, travelling along Eighth Avenue to Penn Station before turning towards Fifth Avenue en route to Washington Square. Part of its route duplicated "affiliated" Eighth Avenue Coach's #10 Eighth Avenue-Central Park West route (keeping in mind FACCo fares were higher than NYCO/MACCo/EACCorp's). It started around November 1940, but apparently didn't last all the next year, and in any case would have been permanently shuttered by the time WWII restrictions hamstrung all the bus operators. I think #2500, in regular service, may've ended up on Route #15 Jackson Heights, up to the 1962 strike which saw FACL smuggle that pioneer "Old Look" bus up to service on Westchester Street Transportations routes.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As always, thank you for the great input and info! Wink

This reminds me of the photo (a posed "publicity" shot) in the 1954 children's book, "BIG CITY TRANSPORTATION"* (I HIGHLY recommend this book!) that shows FACCo Old Look #1707, with a stylish lady boarding (Mom recalled this same picture in a 1940's fashion magazine, perhaps "Vogue")

The roller curtain reads:

"4th & MADISON AV/PARK ROW & B'WAY TO 42nd ST"

"NYO"

* there are many rare, nostalgic, and timeless "Noo Yawk" transit photos (bus/subway/elevated) in this great little book, including the interior of a new MACK (looking towards the rear). The teacher, "Mrs. Small", tells the class: ".....Brooklyn has some buses with a new kind of seat. Do you see what is different about them? People can get in and out of thee seats more easily. The windows open more easily, too....."
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As always, thank you for the great input and info! Wink

This reminds me of the photo (a posed "publicity" shot) in the 1954 children's book, "BIG CITY TRANSPORTATION"* (I HIGHLY recommend this book!) that shows FACCo Old Look #1707, with a stylish lady boarding (Mom recalled this same picture in a 1940's fashion magazine, perhaps "Vogue")

The roller curtain reads:

"4th & MADISON AV/PARK ROW & B'WAY TO 42nd ST"

"NYO"
That was actually MACCo (Madison Avenue Coach Company, Inc.) Old Look #1707. Apparently where the woman stood obscured the "Madison" part of the operator name emblazoned on the bus side exterior.

* there are many rare, nostalgic, and timeless "Noo Yawk" transit photos (bus/subway/elevated) in this great little book, including the interior of a new MACK (looking towards the rear). The teacher, "Mrs. Small", tells the class: ".....Brooklyn has some buses with a new kind of seat. Do you see what is different about them? People can get in and out of thee seats more easily. The windows open more easily, too....."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Thanks! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a "publicity" shot of #1707; the woman at the rear door is the same lady seen boarding the bus in the aforementioned book, "BIG CITY TRANSPORTATION".......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154382

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 19 of 31

Jump to: