BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

161st St., 1964/Along 3rd Avenue/Da Bronx
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on a warm day in 1973, we see MaBSTOA #6704 at E.206th & Bainbridge.

Note the IND entrance still sporting its original 1930's signage (such classic station entrance signage were still everyday sights, nearly 50 years ago).....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155172

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["Bx15"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tee-Yay" green Fishbowls at Washington Plaza, 1972.

In one view, a train of elderly prewar IND cars are seen up above; in the other, R-27/R-30's.

Ahhh, the transit picture was still so interesting and diverse for enthusiasts, way back then...... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153353

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153357

["New York City Transit Authority"]

["40 TO PENNSYLVANIA AV"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classic scene at Stillwell Avenue*, 1977.

Though Fishbowls would continue to serve riders for many years yet, the ancient, now-iconic prewar IND cars were indeed living on borrowed time, and, in fact, would be retired the same year that this photo was taken.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154789

["B64"]

*Note, also, the rusting, long-disused trolley line pole, itself a relic of "Noo Yawk's" transit past......
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
"Tee-Yay" green Fishbowls at Washington Plaza, 1972.

In one view, a train of elderly prewar IND cars are seen up above; in the other, R-27/R-30's.

Ahhh, the transit picture was still so interesting and diverse for enthusiasts, way back then...... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153353

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153357

["New York City Transit Authority"]

["40 TO PENNSYLVANIA AV"]

Not just with that. You had different time/temp displays in various places (banks, TV stations, Times Square, West Side Highway et al.) - all from companies with names like Time-O-Matic, Signatrol, American Sign & Indicator, National Time & Signal Corp., General Indicator Corp. (a.k.a. All-American Scoreboards), et al. I've gotten so that when looking at old pics, I can pretty much tell were each clock originated. Reading old issues of Signs of the Times has helped in that regard too.

I also think of the numerous art supply stores that no longer are (some of which I frequented a great deal in the past) - Lee's Art Shop, Irving Berlin, Plaza Artist Materials, Grand Central Artist Materials, New York Central Art Supply, Pearl Paint, Sam Flax, A.I. Friedman, Arthur Brown & Bro., Utrecht Art Supplies - now it's pretty much all Blick or nothing.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

There hasn't been anything even remotely close to an art-supply store in my town fo close to thirty-five years now; the one shop we had here in town "Litt's", over the years, supplied me with quite a bit of items I used in my miniature set building.

In 1978, we still had at least SOME Old Looks in service in the Hudson County area; and, by that time, "Noo Joisey" had 866 new "Dangerfields" on the streets, FLXIBLE's largest bus order to date at that time.

Today, even the "Dangerfields" are history......

"NYo"

["NJDOT"]
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian wrote:
One of my bus faves is May 1998 in which a former FACL new-look can be seen in its green and cream livery on the 104 on Broadway south of 125 Street. The tail of a green and cream Mack heading north is also visible.

I have to try to get a copy of that calendar; I'd love to see that picture! Wink

Unless the monthly photo was of a street entrance (or depicting elevated lines) buses, as a general rule, were not to be seen.

To this day, I wish that at least one FACL and one ST Fishbowl had survived, and had been preserved.

I guess it would still be easy enough to restore two Fishbowls in those liveries; we took far too much for granted, when such classic buses were still commonplace.......

"NYO"

Here's a view for educational purposes and a not-so-clear closeup. Unfortunately, part of the Mack got lost in the scan (there wasn't that much anyway).

image host

image host
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS for posting these photos!!! Wink

I LOVE the early 60's photos, in particular, where most of the autos on the streets were still from the 1950's; I remember those long-ago days WELL! Wink

Nowadays, the NYCTM's bus collection seems to be pretty much "out of it", especially since COVID reared its ugly head, a few years back; I would have loved to have seen the the NYCTM purchase a Fishbowl, and repaint it in authentic FACL colors......man, oh, man, what a SHOWSTOPPER! Wink

"NYO"

["Fifth Avenue Coach Lines"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pic does look like later 1962, A.M. (After MaBSTOA), even though the Fishbowl bore the same FACL/ST color scheme as when they first arrived in 1960.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, the NYCTM's bus collection seems to be pretty much "out of it", especially since COVID reared its ugly head, a few years back; I would have loved to have seen the the NYCTM purchase a Fishbowl, and repaint it in authentic FACL colors......man, oh, man, what a SHOWSTOPPER! Wink

Actually, they began to be "out of it" even before anyone so much as heard of COVID; in 2019, many veteran "Tee-Yay" staffers who were in charge of the care and maintenance of these oldies but goodies retired en masse. I seem to remember the last year those ol' reliables were seen anywhere on the streets of "Noo Yawk" was 2018.

One of those who so cared for them, spoke of working at both 54th Street and Hudson depots before both were closed.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Thanks for this less-than-cheery information.

You cannot help but wonder what WILL become of the NYCTM's historic bus fleet in years to come; too, given so much financial woes these days, one cannot help but wonder at what the future holds for the NYCTM itself at the old Court St. station, not to mention of museum trains themselves.

From the final "NEW YORK CITY SUBWAYS" calendar (Newkirk Images):

".......this 2023 edition will be the last subway calendar published by me. I cite the recent COVID pandemic that caused me to lose three hundred customers that have never returned......"

".......Also, the cost of doing business, including the cost of the calendars have been rising, and, with the current outlook of the economy, I would be paying more......."

".......and, lastly, I started this project back in 1992 at forty years of age. Now, I'm seventy, and experiencing age-related issues. For the past thirty years, I have been a sole proprietor, running a one-man business......"

Here is a perfect example as to what is, sadly, happening to much of our transit hobby today (bus and rail): aging fan base, financial/funding issues, etc.

Many trolley museums, I've heard, also have been having many issues besides COVID, not in the least that so many of the older members are now either too old to actively work at the museums, or, sadly passing away, with not much "new blood" to fill the void.

Just look at what the NY Chapter of the ERA was, 50-60 years ago.

Sobering, to say the least, but, sadly, we cannot halt the march of time, nor can we halt the aging process.....

"NYO"

["ERA"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling happier days.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156094

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156057

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156013

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156000

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156017

["NYCTM"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two timeless photos from 1964 not only vividly depict the long-gone days of when the NY Chapter of the ERA was still in full swing, and also, are both so very evocative of how many colorful and fascinating eras we have seen end, transit-wise, over the past several decades.........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?45846

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?45861

["INTERBOROUGH"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation......

Those transit buffs who are primarily interested in the subways and elevateds (but not the buses) indeed are more fortunate than they realize.

At the NYCTM at the Court St. station, they can revel at the magnificent display of historic rapid transit cars, vintage station signs, models, dioramas, and so much more.

True, there ARE some exhibits decicated to the buses, but, of course, there are no actual buses on display.

IMHO, the long-abandoned underground Delancey St. trolley terminal (closed since the late 1940's) would gave made for a good location for the NYCTM's historic bus collection.

But, with the portals that once allowed the streetcars to enter and leave the station (using the Willy B to cross the East River into Brooklyn), how would the buses be delivered to this site?

Here again, $$$$$$ would be playing a huge factor.

Another thought I had would be to have the buses displayed in a former garage, if possible.

Or, if that was not an option, some sort of a small garage/warehouse where the buses could not only be kept, but also, put on display.

Imagine if a "New York City Transit Bus Museum" ever became a reality, by some miracle.

Realistically, of course, I am not about to hold my breath on this one; HOWEVER, I think it would be a VERY valuable venue on its own, showcasing the once-commonplace buses that were once-familiar sights to generations of "Noo Yawkers".........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpt from the highly-entertaing 1951 children's book, "BLUNDERBUS", the story of "Old Number 3", the very last of the open-top double-deckers on 5th Avenue.......

"......the Mayor said, 'Transportation is important in the city, and buses are important to transportation'....."

".....then, the Mayor said, 'I have an idea in my mind about the order in which these buses should parade'......"

".....'the newest buses, naturally', said the Company Manager......"

".......the Mayor politely disagreed: 'You see, transportation has grown up with the city. I'd like to have folks understand how much it has changed. I was wondering if we couldn't start off the Parade of Buses with one of those old double-deckers; you know, the open-top kind'......"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring to the "Parade of Buses" from "Blunderbus".......

In 1939, the Baltimore Transit Company (BTC) was awarded the "Most Outstanding Exhibit" at the "Wheels of Progress" exhibition.

This grand event was held at Baltimore Stadium; the vehicles were not only put on public display, but paraded around the stadium.

The magnificent array of vehicles included a circa-1880 horsecar (mounted on rubber tires), a 1915-Charles St. "jitney" bus, the one-of-a-kind TWIN COACH articulated "Queen Mary", BTC's lone ASV, as well as other buses and service vehicles.

This had to make for one STUNNING exhibition, to be sure! Very Happy

Sadly, outside of the horsecar, none of the buses that were part of this grand 1939 exhibition survive today. Crying or Very sad

Just imagine, if you will, such a grand parade, held many years ago, in "Noo Yawk", when so many "historic" buses were still in existence...... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 24 of 31

Jump to: