BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let us not forget.....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 16485
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Let us not forget..... Reply with quote

.......the late, great Twin Towers; nor, let us ever forget the bravery and courage shown by not only the NYPD and NYFD, but also, everyday citizens, who, in many instances, became heroes in their own right.

I was in Border's book store on the ground floor of the Towers when the first plane hit; it was like being in a surrealistic nightmare.

It took me nearly seven hours to get back home to New Jersey; I was, indeed, one of the lucky ones.

Cannot believe 20 years has passed since that horrific day....

"NYO"

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?23899

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?110405

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?24416

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154821

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 16485
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflections of......the way life used to be......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?70120

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?41411

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
N4 Jamaica




Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 831
Location: Long Island

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in the New York City buses forum. Which bus routes were affected in the 1960's when the superblocks of the WTC were assembled?
---
The twists and turns of the M20 west of West Street amaze me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 16485
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
This is in the New York City buses forum. Which bus routes were affected in the 1960's when the superblocks of the WTC were assembled?
---
The twists and turns of the M20 west of West Street amaze me.


Joe:

Recall, in the pre-WTC days, Cortlandt St. ran straight through to the Hudson River (the PRR ferries ran until 1949, and the West Shore boats ran until 1959)

Likewise, Barclay St. (the terminal of the DL&W/E-L ferries) also ran straight through to the waterfront......

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1394
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
This is in the New York City buses forum. Which bus routes were affected in the 1960's when the superblocks of the WTC were assembled?
---
The twists and turns of the M20 west of West Street amaze me.

What was then the #10 - Eighth Avenue/Central Park West route was especially affected by the demapping of several lower Manhattan streets in preparation for the building of the massive WTC complex. On Jan. 16, 1966 - only two days after the equally massive service changes along Fifth and Madison Avenues when the former was converted to one-way southbound and the latter to one-way northbound - one of the 10's branches, heretofore to Cortlandt Street, had its southern terminus moved a few blocks up to Vesey Street. (At the time, this route had two other branches, one to Abingdon Square and the other to Houston and West Streets; another branch, to West 3rd Street and Avenue of the Americas, didn't come into being until 1969.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 16485
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Interesting historical input, as always.

I well recall the chaotic activity downtown during the construction of the now-gone Towers.

At one point, the cast-iron PATH (ex-H&M) tubes were exposed, and had to be supported throughout the excavation; you could hear the rumblings of the trains heading to and from the old Hudson Terminal, while the new WTC station was being built!

The old HUDSON TERMINAL buildings (the original "Twin Towers"!) were also being demolished at this time.

The Lower Manhattan waterfront of the early/mid-1960's has totally vanished; the row upon row of piers, wharves, and ferry slips has vanished under tons of fill excavated from the WTC site.

That area bears no resemblence whatsoever to what I remember as a kid, back in the early/mid-1960's.

Recall, too, the old elevated West Side Highway decayed to the point it had to be torn down.......

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 16485
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West & Barclay, 1978.

By this time, the former Hoboken Ferry (E-L) terminal at the foot of Barclay Street was gone close to a decade (the ferries were shut down in November, 1967)

Landfill excavated from the WTC site now occupies much of the area where the ferry slips, piers and wharves were once located (the rusting elevated West Side Highway was still standing, at the time of this photo)......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154807

(courtesy: nycsubway.org).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 16485
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesey & Washington, 1978......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154916

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1394
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Interesting historical input, as always.

I well recall the chaotic activity downtown during the construction of the now-gone Towers.

At one point, the cast-iron PATH (ex-H&M) tubes were exposed, and had to be supported throughout the excavation; you could hear the rumblings of the trains heading to and from the old Hudson Terminal, while the new WTC station was being built!

The old HUDSON TERMINAL buildings (the original "Twin Towers"!) were also being demolished at this time.

The Lower Manhattan waterfront of the early/mid-1960's has totally vanished; the row upon row of piers, wharves, and ferry slips has vanished under tons of fill excavated from the WTC site.

That area bears no resemblence whatsoever to what I remember as a kid, back in the early/mid-1960's.

Recall, too, the old elevated West Side Highway decayed to the point it had to be torn down.......

"NYO"

Let's not forget the fabled "Radio Row" which was all but wiped out when the Port Authority swooped in to acquire the land used to build the WTC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1394
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Vesey & Washington, 1978......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154916

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

So one of the 1968 'Tee-Yay' Fishbowls made their way to 126th Street depot for service on routes like M22. One wonders why a few 1964 or 1965 Flxies didn't join this venerable one in carrying passengers on their Manhattan routes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 16485
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Vesey & Washington, 1978......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154916

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

So one of the 1968 'Tee-Yay' Fishbowls made their way to 126th Street depot for service on routes like M22. One wonders why a few 1964 or 1965 Flxies didn't join this venerable one in carrying passengers on their Manhattan routes.


W.B.:

Good question!

From what I have learned here, it would seem that many depots seemed to be "Gee-Em" strongholds, with either no Flexies based there, or perhaps, a ("pardon the pun!) a token handful.

Then again, you know far more about depot assignments than Your's Truly...... Wink

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group