BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball buses/rapid transit (then and now)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Baseball buses/rapid transit (then and now) Reply with quote

Fellows:

What FACCo/SURFACE/MaBSTOA routes served the fabled "House That Ruth Built"?

Was there extra service on game days?

What about today in 2021?

What routes served the now-gone, legendary Shea?

As always, appreciate any info.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseball buses (then and now) Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Fellows:

"NYO"

The Q-48 stopped in front on the Roosevelt Avenue side of Shea, beneath the '7 Train' line on its Flushing/LaGaurdia Airport run. The Q-66 stopped nearby along Northern Blvd. side.
Q-48 was NYCTA, Q-66 was Queens Transit...
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Baseball buses (then and now) Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Fellows:

"NYO"

For Shea, the Q-48 stopped in front on the Roosevelt Avenue side of Shea, beneath the '7 Train' line on its Flushing/LaGuardia Airport run. The Q-66 stopped nearby along Northern Blvd. side.
Q-48 was NYCTA, Q-66 was Queens Transit...

Last edited by traildriver on Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks much, as always! Wink

Now, that just leaves us with the FACCo/SURFACE/Tee-Yay routes that carried the faithful to The House That Ruth Built (also, TARS streetcars).....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......of course, with both Yankee Stadium and the now-gone Shea Stadium, mass transit-wise, the bulk of the fans arrived (arrive) by the subway (the IRT* had the game pretty much to themselves, here!)...... Wink

"NYO"

*In Brooklyn, BMT trains and B&QT streetcars were once jammed with Dodgers fans, heading to the fabled Ebbets Field.........
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......of course, with both Yankee Stadium and the now-gone Shea Stadium, mass transit-wise, the bulk of the fans arrived (arrive) by the subway (the IRT* had the game pretty much to themselves, here!)...... Wink

"NYO"

For Yankee Stadium, you could also take the 'D or BB Train' there. And nowadays, Metro-North's Hudson Line also stops there...
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, the LIRR Port Washington line also stops at Shea Stadium...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Appreciate additional info, as always! Wink

Recall, too, the old elevated IRT "spur" that served the old Polo Grounds until the 1950's......

"NYO"
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

"NYO"

For Yankee Stadium, you could also take the 'D or BB Train' there. And nowadays, Metro-North's Hudson Line also stops there...

Well, that combo never quite served 161 Street. Going back to 1933 it was the C and CC. When the Sixth Avenue subway opened, the D became the full-time service with the C/CC running in the rush hours (C was gone in October 1949). The rush-hour CC became the C in the mid-1980s and switched northern terminals with the B in 1998. Since then it indeed has been the D and rush-hour B.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....back in the day, you knew rush hour was nigh when the prewar IND cars (and, later, the R-10's) came out to play, for "CC" service; I still remember the ancient cars displaying "HUDSON TERMINAL" on the roller curtains.

The prewar cars served the "CC" through 1975; the R-10's ran on the "C" through 1989.....I really miss those "Pattons" (aka "Thunderbirds")

When the R-10's were retired, they were also the last cars in service to have "monitor" roofs (the IRT R-12/14's also had the same type of roof)

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian wrote:
traildriver wrote:

"NYO"

Well, that combo never quite served 161 Street. Going back to 1933 it was the C and CC. When the Sixth Avenue subway opened, the D became the full-time service with the C/CC running in the rush hours (C was gone in October 1949). The rush-hour CC became the C in the mid-1980s and switched northern terminals with the B in 1998. Since then it indeed has been the D and rush-hour B.

Thanks for that correction. My memory isn't that good anymore, and I just used today's routes, and added a letter, as that was the IND practice for local routes back then.

In addition to the regular routes, the TA also ran "subway special's" for an extra fare that ran express on IND lines to Yankee Stadium. I remember them using the old lower level platform at 8th Avenue and 42nd Street...
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Baseball buses (then and now) Reply with quote

Fellows:

I know the Bx-49 was a common sight around Yankee Stadium I(a) and I(b); it became Bx13 in 1984. So was the Bx-34 (today's Bx6). Thus, exclusively Surface before MaBSTOA took over everything.
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for that correction. My memory isn't that good anymore, and I just used today's routes, and added a letter, as that was the IND practice for local routes back then.

In addition to the regular routes, the TA also ran "subway special's" for an extra fare that ran express on IND lines to Yankee Stadium. I remember them using the old lower level platform at 8th Avenue and 42nd Street...

Really? I didn't know about any extra fare runs from 42/8 other than to Aqueduct. Do you recall when those specials ran? Thanks.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......in 1960/1961, NY TITANS football specials were operated; these specials (IND) ran from 179th St. (Jamaica) to the Polo Grounds.

These trains ran express to the lower level platform at 42nd St.; the motorman changed ends south of the station, and then ran non-stop on the IND Concourse line to 155th St.

I've read that prewar cars were used on these specials; however, I have seen a photo of a train of R-10's on one of these runs.....

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its August 1973 and a three year old Flxible, number 4697 on route 49, lays over next to the "House that Ruth Built"

yankee stadium (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.82 KB
 Viewed:  32803 Time(s)

yankee stadium (2).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 1 of 49

Jump to: