BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball buses/rapid transit (then and now)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(See previous post)

The anchors on 1010 News Radio have been actually chuckling in an almost "too stunned"/"Am I reading this right?" state of semi-disbelief, regarding the Mets being THOROUGHLY wiped out yesterday.

Not surprisingly, the word "embarrassing" was being used with alarming frequency.............Sad

Talk about "The agony of defeat"......humiliation unchecked.............. Crying or Very sad

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Agreed.

The Yanks are getting by....but only JUST.

One cannot help, during these dismal days, but to recall such legendary, "larger-than-life "Yanks" as Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Joe DiMaggio, and Yogi Berra.

Not to mention Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris, in 1961. In those days, they (to say nothing of the earlier "greats") weren't getting hernias trying to carry the team to the finish line, as we're seeing today with "captain" Aaron Judge. Everybody in those days was winning one for the team, no matter what position they were playing (the last of Maris' 61 homers in '61 were while Mantle was out with one of his illnesses).

Among the Yanks' pitching staff of old, one name that keeps popping up is Whitey Ford. But he was actually one of the first pitchers on the team to have a "closer" - the oft-forgotten Luis Arroyo, who finished many games Ford started. (Thus preceding, by decades, the likes of Mariano Rivera.)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(See previous post)

The anchors on 1010 News Radio have been actually chuckling in an almost "too stunned"/"Am I reading this right" state of semi-disbelief, regarding the Mets being THOROUGHLY wiped out yesterday.

Not surprisingly, the word "embarrassing" was being used with alarming frequency.............Sad

Talk about "The agony of defeat"......humiliation unchecked.............. Crying or Very sad

"NYO"

Especially when you consider that the first Mets team of 1962 - pathetic though they were (40-120) - actually managed to win both games of a doubleheader now and then. Never mind Gil Hodges at this point - what would Casey Stengel have thought of the 2023 Mets? Or Yogi Berra (their 1973 pilot)?

And that's the other thing. The first Mets season was also the dawn of the MaBSTOA era, with FACCo, NYCO, Surface etc., hand-me-downs (predominantly "Shermans") going up to the Polo Grounds for fans to watch the "Amazin's" play. (And PATH took over the old H&M lines just as the '62 baseball season was ending.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I have the feeling that a least a FEW bus fans were then on hand, to record all of those ancient buses gathering at the Polo Grounds, back in '62......REAL BUSES to be caught on film! Very Happy

Even after the PATH takeover of the H&M in September, 1962, everyone I knew STILL referred to the system as "the tubes"; in the E-L timetables of that era, the term "PATH TUBES" was used (Your's Truly STILL, and always will, refer to PATH as "the tubes"!)

Even in the 1990's, ACADEMY"s rush-hour Boulevard East run to Hoboken had their Flex Metro's sporting HUGE roller curtains reading: "PATH TUBES".

Casey Stengal?

Ohhh, man, one can only BEGIN to imagine the VERY vocal comments on the 2023 Mets!!!!

Back in the early 1960's, I remember the TV commercials (as well as ads) where Yogi Berra was touting "YOO HOO" (I LOVED the stuff!)

Back in the day, "The Bombers" were, indeed, "larger than life" to "Noo Yawk" baseball fans (recall the "I LOVE LUCY" episode, "LUCY MEETS BOB HOPE", where the Ricardos and the Mertzes go up to Yankee Stadium for a game; the fans DRESSED UP to go to see a game, back then!)

William Frawley (aka Fred Mertz) was a HUGE baseball fan, and LOVED the Yankees; in fact, it was in his contract that he would be able to "skip work" when the Yankees were in the World Series!Shocked

In fact, he was close friends with a number of pro ballplayers back then, and enjoyed "chewin' the fat" with they guys at a bar or a club.

In the "PALM SPRINGS" episode ("I Love Lucy") episode Fred laments not being able to go see the Hollywood Stars, due to a rain-out!

I've also read about "Dem Bums"....regular neighborhood guys who rode the subway, washed their cars, mowed their lawns, with their wives shopping at neighborhood stores.........could you imagine today's grossly-overpaid Prima Donna players as "regular Joes"? Rolling Eyes

I know I sure can't, even with my vivid imagination! Shocked

For both the Yankees AND the Mets, the 2024 season is going to be QUITE interesting, to say the VERY least......(!!) Rolling Eyes Wink

"NYO"

["POLO GROUNDS SHUTTLE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......and.......the Yankees lost AGAIN this afternoon; let's see now of a MAJOR miracle can FINALLY help the hapless "Miracle Mets" this evening (I ain't holding my breath, on this one!) Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

["RIDE IRT LINES TO THE WORLD SERIES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........well, my goodness gracious......bless my soul.......the "Miracle Mets" actually performed a MIRACLE and FINALLY won a game! Shocked

It was a VERY narrow win for them (7-6), but still, for the 2023 Mets, the fact that they actually WON a game is a MIRACLE in itself! Shocked

Can they possibly win TWO games in a row Question

Or, was tonight's LONG-overdue victory just a "flash in a pan" Question

Stay tuned, fellows.........

"NYO"

["BALL GAME TO-DAY! RIDE THE INTERBOROUGH"!]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........well, this sultry Monday evening, the "Miracle Mets" actually pulled off another MIRACLE.....they actually won TWO (yep, count 'em, TWO!) games in a row, with a pretty decent score!! Very Happy

However, the "Bronx Bombers", sadly, BOMBED (again) royally tonight. Crying or Very sad

IMHO, even the most "casual" baseball fan from the "Noo Yawk" area have to be scratching their collective heads in confusion, frustration, (and amazement!) this tumultous 2023 season! Rolling Eyes

This has been one WILD season, for sure....you CAN'T make this stuff up......... Rolling Eyes Razz

"NYO"

['TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "The Bambino" himself:

"Every strike brings me closer to a home run."

"Yesterday's home runs don't win today's games"

"I've never heard boos after a home run, but I've sure heard plenty after a strikeout"

'Nuff said, Mr. Ruth............. Wink

"NYO"

["INTERBOROUGH LINES TO THE WORLD SERIES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last evening, the Amazin' NY Mets were hoping to have their third straight win (which they had not had in month); well, they lost, BUT, at LEAST they were on the scoreboard.......the "Bombers" were shut out, and in the roughest shape they've been in for many a year.

It's a safe bet that the hopes for the World Series and the post-season will have to wait until 2024...........

"NYO"

["FOUL BALL!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening, the Mets sent a lot of happy fans home on the #7 trains after their game at Citi Field, taking the series from Pittsburgh (this is also the first time that the Amazins have taken a series in quite some time!)

The Yankees are now below .500, and at their lowest in quite a few years, after losing to the Braves.

And, so, the "pendulum" continues to swing back and forth.......

"NYO"

["SHEA STADIUM"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening, the Mets sent a lot of happy fans home on the #7 trains after their game at Citi Field, taking the series from Pittsburgh (this is also the first time that the Amazins have taken a series in quite some time!)

The Yankees are now below .500, and at their lowest in quite a few years, after losing to the Braves.

And, so, the "pendulum" continues to swing back and forth.......

"NYO"

["SHEA STADIUM"]

Like I said, it seems to be a truism that when one NYC team is doing well, the other ain't. And that with the "talent" the Yankees have today, "captain" Aaron Judge must have quite a hernia trying to carry the team after each game (on top of whatever other injuries he's had). Way different from the days of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle where practically everybody won one for the team (and piled up World Championships in the process).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Agreed.

Recall, when baseball was a GAME, and NOT a multi-million dollar enterprise, as it is today.

Recall, also, the big steroid scandal of some years back?

I recall one wag at the time commenting: "Babe Ruth 'bulked up' the old-fashioned way: beer, sodas, and hot dogs!"

Not to take away from those players today who act......and PLAY......like professionals, but, you and I BOTH know that NONE could ever HOPE to come within striking distances of the legendary "Bombers" (the Yankee players, NOT the GRUMMANS!)

Then, too, look at other baseball legends from many years ago, such as Willy Mays, Hank Arron, and, of course, the pioneering Jackie Robinson (one of "Dem Bums" from Brooklyn)

Recall, also, years back, Phil "The Scooter" Rizzuto, doing the tv commercials for "The Money Store"? Wink

And, also, back in the day, seeing Yogi Berra's mug adorning car card ads for "Yoo Hoo"!

It is no wonder why so many boys back then aspired to be pro baseball players when they grew up.

Recall, also, kids hanging around Yankee Stadium and Ebbetts Field, hoping to get their ball signed by one of their heroes?

That so many of these "Golden Era" baseball legends were truly "larger than life" heroes makes you think of the massive crowds and long, long lines waiting to pay their last respects to "The Bambino" when he passed on to that big ballfield in the sky, while lying in state at Yankee Stadium (surely, many mourners arrived via public transportation)

This one man had become a legend, for certain, within his own lifetime.

The "Sultan of Swat" was indeed "royalty" to the Yankee fans of that long-ago era.

Even I can remember that, back in the 60's, at least in the "Noo Yawk" area, that the "Bombers" were indeed "gods", larger than life in so many ways.........

"NYO"

["BASEBALL SPECIAL"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention these points, because it seems much of today's Yankee players seem to have more in common with those misbegotten Grummans than the legends of old who played The Stadium I(a).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Funny you mention these points, because it seems much of today's Yankee players seem to have more in common with those misbegotten Grummans than the legends of old who played The Stadium I(a).

W.B.:

WELL SAID, my friend....I could NOT agree more! Wink

Just imagine what the Yankees of 60/70/80 years ago would think of the teams less-than-impressive 2023 season? Razz

I DON'T think the language would be fit for young ears to hear, for certain! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

["THE HOUSE THAT RUTH BUILT"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW:

The Amazin' Mets scored another win, earlier tonight, beating the Cardinals........ Very Happy

"NYO"

["PLAY BALL!"]

(as Ryan Field, Eyewitness News sports anchor, said earlier this evening:

".....the Yanks had the night off, thankfully....." Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 22 of 52

Jump to: