BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double-decker demos in Manhattan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Recall, the "Q" cars were the only non-INTERBOROUGH rolling stock to run on the 3rd Avenue El; in 1958, these cars replaced the last open-gate BMT (convertible) cars on the Myrtle Avenue line.

They also had their roofs lowered to allow them to pass through the subway tunnels, to facilitate shop moves.....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Recall, the "Q" cars were the only non-INTERBOROUGH rolling stock to run on the 3rd Avenue El; in 1958, these cars replaced the last open-gate BMT (convertible) cars on the Myrtle Avenue line.

They also had their roofs lowered to allow them to pass through the subway tunnels, to facilitate shop moves.....

"NYO"

And ended up outliving and outlasting both the Standards and Triplexes.

I remember seeing early blueprints for the Fourth Avenue line where the platform edge was 4' 7¼" from track center; this was on the presumption that cars of the same width as what would later become "Q's" would run on that tunnel. The IRT's platform edge, at least until the TA and then MTA came along, was 4' 7¾" from track center (all this in contrast to the BMT's 5' 2" which would later be adopted by the IND).

And to get back to the original point - the Third Avenue el did outlive (if only by two years in Manhattan) the fabled "Queen Mary" double-decker buses.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1949 drama, "PORT OF NEW YORK" (Yul Brynner has HAIR in this flick!), there is a quick scene at the Canal St. platform of the 3rd Avenue El (MUDC's making a lot of noise!) Wink

A few buses can also be glimpsed here and there..... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1949 drama, "PORT OF NEW YORK" (Yul Brynner has HAIR in this flick!), there is a quick scene at the Canal St. platform of the 3rd Avenue El (MUDC's making a lot of noise!) Wink

A few buses can also be glimpsed here and there..... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Were the FACCo open-toppers and "Queen Marys" all scrapped by the same scrapyard, or were they scrapped at different scrap dealers?

Wish more of these historic buses were saved.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1944's "THE CLOCK", Robert Taylor "chases" an open-topper for quite a few blocks down 5th Avenue...........there is also an IRT segment as well..... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of scrapping operations, I know a number of prewar IRT cars met their demise at the site of the old Starlight Amusement Park; quite a few (non PCC) B&QT streetcars were (literally) buried at the infamous Canarsie sand pits, over the years.

Though they would be, indeed, sad to see, I'm guessing that some enthusiast of the era photographed "Queen Marys" awaiting the torch.

Wondering also if these once-proud buses were driven under their own power to the scrapyard, or were they towed?

In the late 1950's and early 1960's, steady parades of now-redundant (double deck) trolley buses were commonplace scenes on the streets of London, heading to the torch..... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......am also curious to learn if there was an official "last run" for the last Queen Mary; I am sure FACCo management was glad to see them retired, being far less economical to operate than the new single-deck fleet.

I'm sure the NY papers carried at least a brief snippet on the last run.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........also, is there any record of what "Queen Mary" made the official last run of a FACCo double-decker, in 1953?

I'm sure some of the more fortunate enthusiasts of that long-ago day must have procured a few momentos, if only a roller curtain........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
.......am also curious to learn if there was an official "last run" for the last Queen Mary; I am sure FACCo management was glad to see them retired, being far less economical to operate than the new single-deck fleet.

I'm sure the NY papers carried at least a brief snippet on the last run.....

From what my understanding is, the last route to run Queen Marys was #5 Fifth Avenue-Riverside Drive.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

From what I have learned here, the withdrawal of the "Queen Mary" double-deckers was not en masse, as I had previously thought.

I just recalled a (circa-early 50's) photo in the Ogden book, showing a number of buses in front of the Fifth Avenue library; though there are four double-deckers in this photo, there are also three single-deckers (two Old Looks and a MACK)

By the time this photo was taken, it was clear that, already, the new single-deckers were "taking up the reins" in the FACCo fleet.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........you have to wonder how many bus enthusiasts, 70-odd years ago, were out and about, snapping away with their Kodaks, making sure that they captured the soon-to-be-history double-deckers on film......I am sure there are countless photos taken back then, that we will never see......

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A London double decker refugee found a home in New York City. Here we see it sightseeing along Sixth Avenue/Avenue of the Americas

13243700_843502969117074_2743396791236602390_o.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.16 KB
 Viewed:  8463 Time(s)

13243700_843502969117074_2743396791236602390_o.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" 'ERE'S A RIGHT RUM GO! BLIMEY, MATE! THIS 'ERE BUS AIN'T GOIN' TO PICCADILLY CIRCUS!" Shocked

LOVE that vintage "RT" ("Regents Three"); the "RT" was a prewar design, but only a handful were delivered before the outbreak of WW2.

Production of this now-iconic bus ended in 1954; like the later "ROUTEMASTER", the "RT" once dominated the LT fleet, and is still regarded as a London icon.

The earliest "RT" buses sported route number boxes on the front of the upper deck, but, these eventually disappeared......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this undated b/w photo, we see (LONDON TRANSPORT) "RTL-129" at the UN (also, note "THE HAYES LINER" 4106 to the rear..

For many years, the timeless, iconic "RT" class dominated the streets of Jolly Olde London.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156391

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: