BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA Nostalgia ("Take 2")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 90, 91, 92  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not MaBSTOA but Board of Transportation, City of New York

#4174 is a GM TDH-4510 and #1791 is a Twin Coach model 44-S

Note the driver with his back to the camera, he has his coin changer on his belt on his back.

s-l1600 (14).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.26 KB
 Viewed:  3980 Time(s)

s-l1600 (14).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....hmmmmmm...I don't see a certain Mr. Kramden among the fellows here..... Rolling Eyes

LOVE that classic PLYMOUTH!!!!! Very Happy

REAL buses....NOT giant insect or economy-sized milk cartons........are what gets me smiling!! Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
REAL buses....NOT giant insect or economy-sized milk cartons........are what gets me smiling!! Wink

"NYO"

Or Slinkies on wheels (a.k.a. Artics).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

"NYO"

Or Slinkies on wheels (a.k.a. Artics).

........not to mentioned oversized mutant caterpillars, rubber-tired shoe-boxes, railroad worm larvae....(!!) Razz

Man, ain't NUTHIN' that appeals to me, bus-wise, these days.....just as is the case with subways, the fun is gone. Sad

Oh, well.....at least we older fellows have our memories of REAL buses!!!!!! Very Happy

["NYO"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject of classic "Noo Yawk" buses......

Any news of the now-dormant "Museum Fleet"?

Are they all based at one garage, or are they scattered about?

Sad such beautiful old buses, rare pieces of transit history, are now basically f0rgotten. Crying or Very sad

I'd be VERY surprised indeed if they ever ran again in "holiday service"........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once those who tended to and cared for the buses retired, their days on the road were numbered. I haven't heard hide or hair about them since.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Once those who tended to and cared for the buses retired, their days on the road were numbered. I haven't heard hide or hair about them since.

W.B.:

Recall, too, as it is with vintage subway equipment, each year sees fewer and fewer men still with us who know how to repair and maintain such vintage machines.

Obtaining parts for buses more than several decades old is yet another "monkey wrench thrown into the works" Sad

Guess the fate of the historic bus fleet is now pretty well sealed....would be great if the National Bus Museum took in at least a few....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Noo Yawk" buses in "The Cosby Show"........

In two "Cosby" episodes from 1985, there are quick glimpses of buses.

In "PLAY IT AGAIN, RUSSEL", there are two quick scenes of an RTS (remember them?) running past the "BABY GRAND" club (I think this was on 125th St., or, at least, in the vicinity)

If this was a 125th St. route, it would have, of course, been a cross-town line.

In "THEO & COCKROACH", we see a VERY snowy Manhattan street scene, complete with a snow-plasterd "LIBERTY LINES "Buffalo" (rear view)

I well recall seeing "LIBERTY LINES" buses in Manhattan, many years ago, when I was still working in the city; am curious as to how many "Buffalo" GM's they operated.

Thanks for any info.....

"NYO"

["Bx M1-EAST SIDE"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another 80's "Cosby" episode, "Mrs. Huxtable Goes To Kindergarten", there is a quick (a bit blurred) shot where an "Em-Tee-Yay" Fishbowl is going by....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Noo Yawk" buses in "The Cosby Show"........

In two "Cosby" episodes from 1985, there are quick glimpses of buses.

In "PLAY IT AGAIN, RUSSEL", there are two quick scenes of an RTS (remember them?) running past the "BABY GRAND" club (I think this was on 125th St., or, at least, in the vicinity)

If this was a 125th St. route, it would have, of course, been a cross-town line.

Either Bx15 (ex Bx29) or M100, if 125th. Whichever way you slice it, an ex-Surface (STS / ST) route.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "THEO & COCKROACH", we see a VERY snowy Manhattan street scene, complete with a snow-plasterd "LIBERTY LINES "Buffalo" (rear view)

I well recall seeing "LIBERTY LINES" buses in Manhattan, many years ago, when I was still working in the city; am curious as to how many "Buffalo" GM's they operated.

Thanks for any info.....

"NYO"

["Bx M1-EAST SIDE"]

I may have seen a few Bison operated by Liberty Lines, but the majority were either suburban Fishbowls or their regular type.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

Thanks for any info.....

"NYO"

["Bx M1-EAST SIDE"]

I may have seen a few Bison operated by Liberty Lines, but the majority were either suburban Fishbowls or their regular type.

W.B.:

I also well recall the "Bison" which NJT "inherited" in their early years; PSNJ rostered them, as did DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, MANHATTAN LINES, and a number of other "area" carriers, back in the day.

Some of the old "Joisey" fallen flags" originally purchased "Bison" for charter services, but soon were using them on the longer commuter runes......

"NYO"

["EXPRESS"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also well recall the "Bison" which NJT "inherited" in their early years; PSNJ rostered them, as did DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, MANHATTAN LINES, and a number of other "area" carriers, back in the day.

Some of the old "Joisey" fallen flags" originally purchased "Bison" for charter services, but soon were using them on the longer commuter runes......

Begs the question of why the "Tee-Yay" didn't purchase any "Bison" for their express bus routes.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

Begs the question of why the "Tee-Yay" didn't purchase any "Bison" for their express bus routes.

W.B.:

I had never contemplated why the "Tee-Yay" never purchased "Bison" for their express-bus routes, but this does make for an interesting thought.

It would been cool seeing a "Bison" dolled up in classic "Tee-Yay" green, especially humming along the VZ Bridge..... Wink

ACADEMY was also using them for a brief time of the rush-hour "BOULEVARD EAST" runs out of Hoboken, in thne early 1990's; of course, my luck, they were retired only a few weeks before I started riding the line twice daily. Crying or Very sad

At least, I can say I RODE on a number of now-classic "Bison", back in the day! Wink

"NYO"

["NEW YORK EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bison", back in da day..... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154497 *

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154392

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["SHORT LINE TOURS"]

*The nostalgia indeed OOZES with this classic early 1970's scene, just outside of the "Port-of-Authority...... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Page 48 of 92

Jump to: