BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA Nostalgia ("Take 2")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 92, 93, 94  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probable a few of 'em were slated for express service, I'll have to check notes I have to see which 'Dangerfields' were slated for same. But no doubt there'd've been a few, though relatively miniscule compared with the Fishbowls.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
It's probable a few of 'em were slated for express service, I'll have to check notes I have to see which 'Dangerfields' were slated for same. But no doubt there'd've been a few, though relatively miniscule compared with the Fishbowls.

W.B.:

Look forward to what info you can dig up! Wink

I've long wondered what buses would have been better suited for "express" operations, Fishbowls or Dangefield.

I have also read that using a V8 engine with a VS2 auto tranny was well-suited for hilly routes and higher speed freeway/express operation.

This extra power, I've read, could also be an asset on buses furnished with optional air-conditioning; on the other hand, if operations called for high-speed running, a four-speed (stick) tranny was the best solution-but this did not work well in heavy local service with frequent stops........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two photos (1981) showing Fishbowls running on the "X13" and "X28"........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154642

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154703

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

W.B.:

Look forward to what info you can dig up! Wink

I've long wondered what buses would have been better suited for "express" operations, Fishbowls or Dangefield.

I have also read that using a V8 engine with a VS2 auto tranny was well-suited for hilly routes and higher speed freeway/express operation.

This extra power, I've read, could also be an asset on buses furnished with optional air-conditioning; on the other hand, if operations called for high-speed operations, a four-speed (stick) tranny was the best solution-but this did not work well in heavy local service with frequent stops........

"NYO"

We know the last ten 'Dangerfields' ever produced - 'Tee-Yay's' 9155-9159 and MaBSTOA's 9160-9164 - were actually 53102-8-1's (whereas all that preceded them were 53102-6-1's). Wonder if those were meant for express bus purposes or what. But we do know that GM made the custom T6H-5310's for express service, that's for sure.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

One of the books on Fishbowls (co-authored by Squier) also says:

".....the interiors of the 5310As were designed for suburban/express operation; the forward-facing seats were of high-back type......"

Also:

".......NYBS (New York Bus Service) purchased its first Fishbowls in 1960 (5301s), but, ten years later, single-door transits outfitted with suburban-style interiors were also purchased......."

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I checked the MaBSTOA list for May 1, 1978. Not a single one of their 'Dangerfields' were express buses. Can't vouch for the 'Tee-Yay' side, though according to the Ohio Museum of Transportation the 1977 order for them had 9130-9154 built for express bus service. Now to find out where those were assigned, and which routes ran these.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Appreciate info so far; this is all quite interesting...... Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopty-doo - exactly one pic of one of those 'Dangerfields' on an express run (and wouldn't you know it, one that went to Staten Island):

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154959

(courtesy nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Whoopty-doo - exactly one pic of one of those 'Dangerfields' on an express run (and wouldn't you know it, one that went to Staten Island):

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154959

(courtesy nycsubway.org)

W.B.:

Yup!

That was one of the photos I found last night! Shocked

The other photo showed a DC "Dangerfield", back in 1981....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....too bad that the "Tee-Yay" never used Old Looks in "express" service....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Exotic".....exotic, that is, for "Noo Yawk"...... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153409

(coutyesy: nycsubway.org)
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of another day besides St. Patrick's, Salute to Israel and Puerto Rican Day where Fifth Avenue routes, depending on where and which they were, would have been rerouted either along Lexington or 7th: the Easter Parade.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
I was thinking of another day besides St. Patrick's, Salute to Israel and Puerto Rican Day where Fifth Avenue routes, depending on where and which they were, would have been rerouted either along Lexington or 7th: the Easter Parade.

W.B.:

To this day, I know, buses are re-routed for the Thanksgiving Day Parade, hosted for decades by a certain long-established store in Herald Square......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

W.B.:

To this day, I know, buses are re-routed for the Thanksgiving Day Parade, hosted for decades by a certain long-established store in Herald Square......

"NYO"

For the past several years, the Parade itself has been "re-routed." Especially south of Columbus Circle. Hasn't gone through Broadway in years.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

W.B.:

"NYO"

For the past several years, the Parade itself has been "re-routed." Especially south of Columbus Circle. Hasn't gone through Broadway in years.

W.B,:

Be intereting to see how the buses were re-routed for the Thanksgiving Day Parade, 60-odd years ago.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 47 of 94

Jump to: