BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Art imitating life"?

Perhaps....but....there are exceptions......

In my extensive collection of vintage toy GREYHOUND buses, many feature a uniformed hostess opposite the driver.

One particularly rare toy I have (w/the original box) is the "MAGIC GREYHOUND BUS" (this is a SCENICRUISER)

On the box, it states that, by moving a lever, the door swings open (in a different position than the actual bus) to reveal a "stewardess" (she, and the passengers disappear and re-appear by working the lever)

Now, outside of GREYHOUND's long-defunct "WALL ST. EXECUTIVE COACH" service (which had hostesses aboard), GREYHOUND did not employ hostesses as did TRAILWAYS with its prestigious "Red Carpet" service.

Oddly enough, none of the vintage tin TRAILWAYS buses I have in my collection feature a hostess aboard! Shocked

Go figure! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

["TRAVEL CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS 5 STAR SERVICE!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down this interesting page to the ad in the last row, on the left: (TRAILWAYS "5 STAR SERVICE")........ Wink

https://www.vintageadbrowser.com/transportation-ads-1960s/3

["5 STAR SERVICE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down this page to the next-to-last image on the right-hand side (talk about an image of a lost world!) Wink

https://thebusmuseum.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

["CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS THRU BUS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vintage toy TRAILWAYS Scenicruisers I have in my collection, indeed, were, in a sense, "ahead of their time", when one recalls the later years....

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/293156256965063899/

["GO BIG RED-GO TRAILWAYS!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can almost SMELL the clean in this vintage TRAILWAYS terminal photo of long-ago!* Wink

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/544161567479810928/

['MEMPHIS"]

*(check out the other vintage photos on this page!) Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflections......

In the course of this "in depth" topic of many pages, Your's Truly has indulged in quite a bit of research, often coming across many items that I did not know existed (and often running into dead ends!), to make this topic an interesting one, one of informative (and nostalgic) historical "depth".

To say that my ongoing research, these past few weeks especially, has been an exhaustive work, to be sure, is an understatement; however, it is, for me, a true "labor of love".

Recently, I've also done much research on the historical highway coach operations in Australia, as well as GREYHOUND's long-ago journeys in Korea.

If anyone reading through this topic has gained even the smallest nugget of historical knowledge, then, for me, I rate this topic a "success"! Wink

"NYO"

["TRAVEL BY BUS"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Scroll down this interesting page to the ad in the last row, on the left: (TRAILWAYS "5 STAR SERVICE")........ Wink

https://www.vintageadbrowser.com/transportation-ads-1960s/3

["5 STAR SERVICE"]

That is the "observation lounge", in one of the first series of Golden Eagle's.
It offered nine "non-revenue" seats, that were not assigned, but were shared by all passenger's, who wished to socialize, or just get a change of scene, from their regular assigned recliner's.
The last series of Golden Eagles's built in 1969 only had four "lounge seats", regular recliner's that were forward of the galley, around a table.
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can almost SMELL the clean in this vintage TRAILWAYS terminal photo of long-ago!* Wink

['MEMPHIS"]

I never was a fan of those "pull thru" type terminals, where if one bus departed late, it could hold up other's behind it. Not to mention the safety of passengers crossing between buses to reach the outer 'lanes'....much prefer the "sawtooth" type platforms, like in the lower and upper level of The Port.
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflections......

In the course of this "in depth" topic of many pages, Your's Truly has indulged in quite a bit of research, often coming across many items that I did not know existed (and often running into dead ends!), to make this topic an interesting one, one of informative (and nostalgic) historical "depth".

To say that my ongoing research, these past few weeks especially, has been an exhaustive work, to be sure, is an understatement; however, it is, for me, a true "labor of love".

Recently, I've also done much research on the historical highway coach operations in Australia, as well as GREYHOUND's long-ago journeys in Korea.

If anyone reading through this topic has gained even the smallest nugget of historical knowledge, then, for me, I rate this topic a "success"! Wink

"NYO"

["TRAVEL BY BUS"]

You should put that research together, and write a book! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

GREATLY appreciate the compliment, my friend! Wink

YOU would be THE MAN for writing a book, given your vast storehouse of knowledge on the highway coach operations of many years back; too, look at how many "on-the-job" experiences you have to draw upon! Very Happy

Then, too, look at how much you could write on your many travels and voyages over the years (in the air, on the ground, and out upon the vast oceans).......I'd indeed request an autographed copy, from The Great Traveler Himself, THE traildriver! Wink

"NYO"

["START YOUR VACATION TODAY WITH 'TRAILDRIVER TOURS' " (an all-4106 company!) Very Happy

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

['MEMPHIS"]

I never was a fan of those "pull thru" type terminals, where if one bus departed late, it could hold up other's behind it. Not to mention the safety of passengers crossing between buses to reach the outer 'lanes'....much prefer the "sawtooth" type platforms, like in the lower and upper level of The Port.

traildriver:

Good points.

This could be the reason why the vast majority of old photos we see of urban stations/terminals are of facilities using the "sawtooth" setup.

Too, this would (IMHO) seem the format for the most flexible operations (recall the old Christmas light strings of many years ago? When one bulb burned out, the entire set went out!)

Thinking of this, I am now recalling the old Indianapolis terminal and its massive trainshed, which originally served electric interurbans. Here, the buses were all line up in rows, and, of course, if the lead bus broke down, things could get indeed get interesting for all the buses following! Shocked

Recall, too, the "sawtooth" arrangement of "bus slots" at the old GREYHOUND terminal, opposite the old Pennsylvania Station.........

"NYO"

["EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES"]

PS: Good to read your always-interesting comments again; your valued input has been sorely missed! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this timeless- "SIULVERSIDES"-era photo taken at GREYHOUND's San Francisco terminal......

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/255368241341034500/

["LOS ANGELES VIA COAST ROUTE"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a busy "Let's get these buses back on the road, guys!" 1940's photo at GREYHOUND's San Francisco shops; note, here, we have 743's, SILVERSIDES, and YELLOW Old Look commuter buses on hand! Wink

The florescent light fixtures up above were still quite modern, for that era....

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/292593307027641959/

["PACIFIC GREYHOUND LINES"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now....THIS structure is, indeed, NOT your "typical" GREYHOUND station, by ANY means.......

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/258182991109112312

IMHO, this VERY modest facility looks as though it had been once a neighborhood filling station (at least, in part); on the right of the "stretch limo" (passenger shuttle vehicle?), you can glimpse the tail end of a '58 FORD station wagon......

["GO BY BUS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a classic 1950's-era view of the new GREYHOUND terminal at Memphis, QUITE a contrast, indeed, to the humble, modest facility seen in the previous link..... Wink

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/451978512576917872/

["DIXIE GREYHOUND"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 33 of 79

Jump to: