BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a few old photos....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....in my estimation, we can NEVER get ENOUGH old photos of FACCo New Looks; as we've commented on so many times before in our many related discussions here, it seems that, with the exception of us "die-hards", New Looks are almost totally ignored from any sort of "history" on the Company.

As New Looks have now been gone from the streets of "Noo Yawk" for over 20 years now, I truly feel that these once-futuristic buses have often been ignored by many in the hobby, and that, IMHO, it was not until these now-iconic buses entered their twilight years, that they really began to finally be appreciated for the stylish, classic, and rugged buses that served the traveling public for several decades.

Thanks, too, for sharing this NICE photo!Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much obliged. 'Tis for this reason I bring these up, if I find a decent pic of such buses in operation.

ST 3175, meanwhile, was initially based out of Amsterdam, if its service on Rt. 104 - Broadway as in a 1962 pic taken at Times Square is of indication. (You'll have to search through Getty Images to get to that one.)

The FACL New Looks I've been able to ascertain in terms of what routes they plied (divvied by FACO Division, NYCO Division and Surface Transit; and what bus numbers I've seen used by what route, which should give you an idea as to where such buses were assigned) were:
- 3 - Fifth/Convent/St. Nicholas (A/C 5)
- 4 - Fifth Avenue/Fort Washington
- 5 - Fifth Avenue/Riverside Drive (A/C 3, A/C 4, 3104, 3123)
- 15 - Jackson Heights

- 1 - Fourth/Madison Avenues (A/C 10)
- 2 - Fourth/Madison Avenues (3110, 3143)
- 10 - Eighth Avenue/Central Park West (A/C 8, 3105, 3107, 3151)
- 16 - 34th Street Crosstown (3156)

- 104 - Broadway (3175)
- 106 - 42nd Street Crosstown (3172)

- Bx31 - Southern Boulevard (320?)
- Bx34 - 163rd Street Crosstown (3197)

. . . out of a total of 17 that was cited in a New York Times article in late 1960 as running these newer buses. Certainly the 10, which ran through the Great White Way, was certainly deemed important enough to have runs with these then-newies. Same for 104.

Last edited by W.B. Fishbowl on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post still more historical documentation regarding the FACCo New look operations/assignments.

Again, as I know I have stated many times previously here, the New Looks were as much a part of FCCO's history as were the famed double-deckers; in fact, the New Look could well be well regarded as "The Lost Bus Of Fifth Avenue".

From: WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS" (McKane/Squier):

".......on October 2, 1959, Fifth Avenue Coach Lines, Inc. exhibited its "Bus Of The Future" to a group of city officials headed by Mayor Robert Wagner. One sneering NYCTA employee, who was also present, sneered: 'Bus Of The Future my eye! It's the same wayward bus we brought here from Pontiac three or four months ago, and then returned it to General Motors after our crews inspected it. That bus had been laid up in New Jersey until Fifth Avenue got a hold of it, and brought it here'........."

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting 1961 photo...

a) The two tone taxi are no longer around
b) Best and Company is defunct
c) Everyone, including tourist, were well dressed (no jeans; no t-shirts; no shorts!)
d) The street sign are no longer yellow nor do they have two names on one
e) Great looking 1959 Impala
f) The Fifth Avenue Coach New Look is an air conditioned bus followed by a square window TDH-4507

... All gone to history books!

1961 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.4 KB
 Viewed:  10135 Time(s)

1961 (2).jpg

traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot! Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaaaahhhhh, when society STILL took PRIDE in their appearances, BUSES still looked like BUSES, and taxicabs came in every color of the proverbial rainbow!!!! Very Happy

Man, this is JUST how I remember the city, when I was just a tyke!!! Very Happy

MANY THANKS for posting this AWESOME photo........the nostalgia simply OOZES out!!!!!!!!! Smile Smile

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put this in another thread, but will put it here too: FACL "Fishbowl" #3107, running on Rt. 10 along Eighth Avenue in 1960, having passed the Port Authority Bus Terminal as was consituted then and heading towards 42nd Street . . .

facl-3107_rt-10_8av-41st_1960.jpg
 Description:
FACL #3107 on Route #10, Eighth Avenue towards 42nd Street, 1960
(For educational purposes only.)
 Filesize:  144.45 KB
 Viewed:  9174 Time(s)

facl-3107_rt-10_8av-41st_1960.jpg

traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great shot...show's the scene that was still there when I went to work at "The Port" in 1968... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh, memories...........way, way back, when "PABT" did NOT stand for "Perpetually Aggravating Bus Terminal", and loooong before what was once "The Most Beautiful Bus Terminal In The World" somehow morphed into one of the ugliest buildings in New York.......ahhh, progress...... Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port did have its moments of "glamour"...when they rolled out the red carpet, for the daily departure of Continental Trailways' Golden Eagle, offering Five Star Luxury Service, to California! Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
The Port did have its moments of "glamour"...when they rolled out the red carpet, for the daily departure of Continental Trailways' Golden Eagle, offering Five Star Luxury Service, to California! Cool

traildriver:

You said it, my friend! Wink

Long-distance bus travel at its very FINEST, to be sure! Very Happy

To go "off-topic" for a moment, here, "BIG RED" outdid "The Hound" with "Red Carpet, 5 Star" services and airline-style hostesses! Very Happy

Hard to believe that such grandeur and elegance still existed in our day.......(!!) Shocked

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: