BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Speaking of bygone "storefront depots"----------the one such depot Your's Truly knew back in the 1960's was the one used by CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS on 32nd St in Union City (where Your's Truly hails was raised!) Wink For years they had three or four tin-litho TRAILWAYS buses in the display window (of course-I recall this well!)------------I think that-today-this "depot"/ticket office is (was?) used by a Spanish operator running buses to Florida; Your's Truly has not been down that way in at least 20 years-----------"NYO"

I recall the prestigious New York to Los Angeles Five Star Luxury Service trip, operated by ABL division with a Golden Eagle, made a quick station stop there, ten minutes after departing the PABT. Several Safeway Trails division trips stopped there as well, on the way to DC or as far as Miami or even Dallas..

Probably the current operator is La Cubana on the NY to Miami route....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1960's-Your's Truly indeed DOES recall seeing TRAILWAYS buses stopping briefly at this "depot"-but the sightings were "fleeting" at best; when the folks and I returned to NJ after a wonderful week up in Canada (1973)-our "PARKER TOURS/CASSER TOURS "Buffalo" let us off here (outbound-we boarded at a "storefront" depot in New York; just a few steps west along 32nd Street was the stop where we could board a PSNJ TDH-4509 on the long-defunct #16 and #17-------- ahhhhhh the good ol' days! Very Happy "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And-as we already discussed elsewhere-GREYHOUND also had a "storefront" depot on Sip near the PSNJ station at Journal Square-at least through the 1970's (oddly-despite frequently being at "The Square" beginning in Your's Truly's long-departed childhood days-I cannot honestly recall seeing any GREYHOUND buses at this depot) also-GREYHOUND (AFAIK)-began calling at JSQ in the 1930's------------"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And-as we already discussed elsewhere-GREYHOUND also had a "storefront" depot on Sip near the PSNJ station at Journal Square-at least through the 1970's (oddly-despite frequently being at "The Square" beginning in Your's Truly's long-departed childhood days-I cannot honestly recall seeing any GREYHOUND buses at this depot) also-GREYHOUND (AFAIK)-began calling at JSQ in the 1930's------------"NYO"

Eastern Greyhound ran a couple of New York to Philadelphia locals that operated via US 1 and NJ 27 thru Newark, New Brunswick, Princeton, Trenton, and North Philadelphia. The earlier one stopped in Jersey City, and then ran over the Pulaski Skyway to Newark. I rode it in 1967...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that GREYHOUND still calls at Penn Station in Newark; just where was GREYHOUND's depot in Newark prior to the 1935 opening of Penn Station? A possible clue could be a 1935 photo on the book "THE UNION TROLLEY LINE" showing a PS streetcar near the DL&W's Broad Street station in Newark--------in-between runs on Plane Street------------there is building that possibly could be the ex-GREYHOUND depot/ticket office itself; there is also an adjacent parking lot full of autos (perhaps the buses loaded/unloaded here?)----------on the wall of an adjacent building is a "running dog" painted on the side-----could this be the site of the old GREYHOUND station? All we can do today is guess-----we also know that (at least starting in the 30's) GREYHOUND also called at Elizabeth; I would think that the station was near "The Arches"-near the raised PRR and CNJ tracks-in the downtown business district------------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If indeed the GREYHOUND station was at Plane and Broad Streets in Newark prior to the opening of Penn Station in 1935-its relocation to the new Penn Station would translate into a facility where there were direct connections to through trains-as well as PS streetcar/AS/bus lines (and local independent bus lines)-------recall also-it would not be until 1937 that the "Tubes" would be extended into Penn Station-and also in 1937-that the City Subway would be extended beyond Broad Street into the new facility at Penn Station----------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

---------when Newark's New Penn Station opened in 1935-GREYHOUND was already setting the stage for the sleek new 719s and 743s; the only old photo (to date) Your's Truly has found (on the 'net) of a "Hound" at Newark was one showing the GX-2 at Penn Station (I recall that this photo was on the now-defunct "SCENICRUISER" site----------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting also that Newark-as New Jersey's largest city-did not boast an "independent" GREYHOUND station-at least-back in the old days; or-why Newark did not boast a central "union" bus station for the intercity lines which then connected Newark to the rest of the nation-----------"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting also that Newark-as New Jersey's largest city-did not boast an "independent" GREYHOUND station-at least-back in the old days; or-why Newark did not boast a central "union" bus station for the intercity lines which then connected Newark to the rest of the nation-----------"NYO"

The old Public Service terminal fulfilled that role...besides PS, most intercity buses used that facility. I believe even Greyhound for some time. IIRC, for a while, some Greyhound trips continued to stop at that terminal as well as their new Penn Station terminal for a few years after the new one opened....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes-----the old PS facility indeed saw a lot of traffic that was not their own; recall-also-the old suburban operators that once started/ended their runs in Newark (then-too-the PS and local "indy" operators who utilized the bus lanes at Penn Station)-------------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall also that-while it was being built-the "Port-of-Authority" was being touted as a "union" bus station; this-I feel-was fully realized when GREYHOUND abandoned its 1930's Art Deco station opposite the old Penn Station in 1963-and shifted operations up to "The Port"----------------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious as to just how popular (and profitable) charter work was for GREYHOUND-back in the 1950's and 1960's-----I know that-long ago-charters were quite the "thing"; Your's Truly is curious to learn of what destinations would be popular for charters-especially the longer runs? I can see different organizations/groups also using GREYHOUND for "day trip" charters---------"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious as to just how popular (and profitable) charter work was for GREYHOUND-back in the 1950's and 1960's-----I know that-long ago-charters were quite the "thing"; Your's Truly is curious to learn of what destinations would be popular for charters-especially the longer runs? I can see different organizations/groups also using GREYHOUND for "day trip" charters---------"NYO"

Charters were never a priority for most Greyhound division's. They concentrated and focused primarily on their scheduled operation's. They left most of the charter work to independent operator's. The exception's were if a group wanted a long-haul, nonstop type charter, that required multiple driver reliefs. Greyhound (and Trailways) were in position to easily provide that type of service, since they had relief points already established, where small companies would have to fly and hotel relief driver's for that. But that type of charter was a very small percentage of the overall business. The other type that they did, was large moves, that required a lot of buses.
When I worked for them in the early '70's in Omaha, we averaged maybe one or two charter's per day. Greyhound was more expensive than most companies for charter's, and really did not seek out that business. We did not even have our own charter sales department, but sold them thru a subsidy called Loyal Travel Service, a commercial travel agency.

Scheduled line service was always our first priority, in those years...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT info; thanks for sharing here! Wink Recall in Grady Hall's little paperback book on "piloting" for GREYHOUND back in the day-he recalled a three-week "charter" up to Canada back in 1966; chapter 11 of this book is entitled "OTHER CHARTERS"; healso recounted are how the high schools in the Stockton area used to charter GREYHOUND buses at the end of the school year-for senior trips---------(one of this "old school" GREYHOUND "pilot's" exciting charters was taking a senior club group up to Alaska-back in 1971)----------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long ago (elsewhere on this board) we discussed the ex-GREYHOUND Fishbowls that-after the World's Fair closed in 1965-were sold to New Jersey suburban operators; I DO clearly recall seeing (and-of course-riding) suburban Fishbowls which were furnished with "sightseeing panels" on the roof; which buses were ex-GREYHOUND----and which were purchased new by the suburban carriers? Your's Truly recalls such buses operating well through the 1980's; I know that Fishbowls with "sightseeing roofs" were also quite popular with operators that also ran sightseeing tours-----in fact-the last Canadian suburban Fishbowls built-(68H-5303As) featured "sightseeing" roofs; these buses dated to 1970------"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 71 of 73

Jump to: