BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to a photo of the now closed Montreal Terminal, as well as the previous more centrally located terminal. The latter was the one I first arrived at on my previously mentioned EGL trip. The land was too valuable in that location, so Greyhound and Colonial moved over to the eastern one which was expanded in the early '70's to accommodate them.
When Quebec was asserting its "Frenchness" during the '70's, Dorchester Street, the main financial street was renamed "Rene Lavesque Blvd", along with many other English named streets in Montreal.

https://medium.com/@OliviaCollette/the-history-of-montreal-s-eastern-bus-terminal-a758640a7685

The one on Dorchester was close to the CN Central station beneath the Queen Elizabeth Hotel, and not too far from the CP Windsor station used also by the D&H....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

GREAT link; thanks for posting! Wink

LOVE old photos of the bygone bus hubs; today's humdrum, lackluster facilities are more atkiun to airports or malls, IMHO.

Perfect example:

The old "Port-of-Authority" in Manhattan was once termed "The Most Beautiful Bus Terminal In The World".

Today, it is now one of "the 10 ugliest buildings in Manhattan".

How the Mighty Hath Fallen........ Crying or Very sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Any info on "thru bus" services between the PABT and Eastern Canada, back in the day?

Thanks....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following from a TT in my collection for "VERMONT TRANSIT LINES" (1981)......

"MONTREAL-BURLINGTON-ALBANY-NEW YORK"

"THRU COACHES OPERATED BY VERMONT TRANSIT & GREYHOUND LINES"

CONNECTING COMPANIES:

BONANZA BUS LINES, INC.

PETER PAN BUS LINES

PEOPLE'S BUS LINES

VOYAGEUR, INC.

Through buses (serving Montreal) are also listed:

MONTREAL-NEW YORK

MONTREAL-BOSTON

MONTREAL-PROVIDENCE (via Boston)

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Any info on "thru bus" services between the PABT and Eastern Canada, back in the day?

Thanks....

"NYO"

Yes...

From The Port, you could start your trip on Eastern Greyhound Lines, and get a thru coach to:

Halifax, NS via St. Stephen, NB, thence SMT (Eastern Limited) via Saint John and Moncton to Amherst, NS, then Acadian Lines to Halifax

Edmundston, NB via Bangor, ME, thence Bangor and Aroostook Railroad (Highway Division) via Madawaska, ME. The coach crossed the border into Edmundston, then crossed back into Madawaska and continue on to Fort Kent, ME (the northern end of US Highway No. 1).

Quebec City via Springfield, MA, thence Vermont Transit to Newport, VT, thence Quebec Central Transportation on to Quebec City.

Montreal via Springfield, MA, or via Albany, NY thence Vermont Transit to Burlington, VT, then back on EGL to Montreal

Ottawa via Montreal thence Voyageur Colonial onto Ottawaa

Ottawa via Syracuse thence GLC and Thousand Islands Bridge

There were a lot more destinations across Canada via Buffalo, thence Gray Coach Lines, Canada Coach Lines, and Greyhound Lines of Canada ranging from Hamilton, to Toronto, as far west as Calgary and even Vancouver at one time...

Yes, there were many "exotic" pool partners of Greyhound who got to display their "colors" in New York City as a result. Not just from Canada, either...

Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

EXCELLENT analogy! Very Happy

It never ceases to amaze me as to just how comprehensive ALL intercity bus networks were, 50-60 years ago; literally, if a train couldn't get you to where you were going, 10-to-1, the BUS did! Very Happy

Today, of course, buses (what's left of them, anyway) serve far fewer places than they did a half-century ago.

AMTRAK has continually cut service to so many areas, that there are now places where there is NO public transportation option at all,, bus or rail. Sad

In our day, GREYHOUND and CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS were both still the kings of the highway; recall "Big Red's" prestigious "Red Carpet" service (imagine this service today?) Shocked

As I grew up in Union City, NJ (a 15-minute bus ride to the PABT, via the NHBL's #5) Mom and I often visited the Terminal just for the fun of it (Mom long remembered that little cup-shaped observation area (she always said it reminded her of a teacup!) that overlooked the bustling main concourse.

It was exciting, too, to hear the announcements that drifted out over the PA system

We'd walk past the various ticketing areas, and enjoyed talking about all the different cities the buses traveled to.

Sometimes, Mom would pick up a few timetables, and we'd have fun thinking about taking the bus to the different cities and towns listed.

And, of course, we ALWAYS visited "Hobby Mart"!

Back then, of course, the "Port-of-Authority" was still thriving and still attired in all its 1950 streamlined glory; the days of unsavory characters and crime were still years into the future at that time.

Going home, just before boarding the #5 (usually an Old Look) Mom would by a "JERSEY JOURNAL" for my dad at the "GARFIELD NEWS" stand, on the suburban level; Your's Truly usually got a new Bugs Bunny or Dennis The Menace comic.

I still recall seeing ORANGE & BLACK's suburban MACKS, and SOMERSET's Old Looks and ACF-BRILLS.

To this very day, I can STILL see, hear, and SMELL those classic buses, as they arrived and pulled out.

Back in the 60's, during the summer months, my folks and I would take LAKELAND (either an Old Look or a Fishbowl) and ride to the end of the line (Warwick), where either my aunt or uncle would pick us up, for the short hop to their summer bungalow in Highland Lakes (Lake Wanda)

LOVED the smoooooooth yet powerful sounds of a GM suburban coach in full cry!

Ahhhh, it's all so long ago, now.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of interesting LAKELAND links (company began operating in 1952)...........

www.kenstransitgifs.com/lakeland.html *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakeland_Bus_Lines

*(Note that LAKELAND once rostered MACK suburbans; these were C-45-STD's)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "exotic" visitor's to New York City, brings to mind "other" modes of transport as well....

As late as 1968 or '69, if you went down to the platform level of Penn Station to see the arrival or departure of Penn Central train No. 3 or 4, "The Penn Texas", its Pullman cars included some from the Missouri Pacific, or subsidiary Texas Pacific, that ran thru the St. Louis connection to their Texas Eagle to various destination's in Texas. Also in the pool was a thru Pullman to Mexico City, via the N de M's, Aztec Eagle, and once in a while you would be treated to the site of an N de M (National Railway of Mexico) Pullman sleeper. Nowadays, there's basically no passenger trains in Mexico.

Earlier, in the twilight of the "streamliner era", post WWII, the PRR, the NYC, and the B&O began pooling with western railroads to operate various coast to coast thru Pullman sleepers, with each contributing equipment to the pool. So you got to see these "exotic" cars in Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal.

Even before that, thru trains to points in the South or New England brought 'exotic cars' into New York.

Airlines got into the act, as well, taking a page from railroad's "play book"...
When the skies were regulated, and each carrier had a piece of the pie allocated to them exclusively, in order to offer more destination's on their lines, some carrier's began operating "interchange flights", pooling aircraft to offer thru service to points beyond their own route network. Nowadays, this is done by "code-sharing", that is adding their flight number codes to other airlines flights, but back in the day, the actual aircraft went thru. The crews changed at the interchange point.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Ahhh, the good old days when the public transportation scene was still quite colorful and diverse! Wink

Where we lived in Union City when I was a kid, all I had to do was to cross Hudson (now Kennedy) Boulevard (with its 1940's-era traffic lights!), and walk west one block on 13th St., and then walk up the entrance/exit ramp to the (now long-gone) TWO GUYS parking lot.

There I had an EXCELLENT panoramic view of the PRR tracks as they curved in towards the Bergen Tunnels.

Over the years, I saw GG-1's, MP-54's, and trains still carrying heavy head-end traffic (recall the huge REA facility at Sunnyside Yards)

I remember seeing not only PRR cars, but cars of the ACL/SCL/NH, and C&O; it was also interesting to see these "mixed consists"!

I was close enough to hear the clickety-clacking of the wheels, and thrill to the arcing of the pans; and, of course, you'd hear the proud horns of the G's and the distinctive air whistles on the ancient MP-54's as they entered and left the tunnel (Mom, myself, and several neighbors were also fortunate enough to see the somber passing of the RFK funeral train, back in June, 1968)

How appropriate that the two GG-1's hauling the funeral train had just been repainted into P-C black.

When we visited the old, now-gone Newark Airport (complete with open observation decks and the memorable NEWARKER restaurant!) it was always interesting to see the sleek new jets alongside old veteran propliners, like the Connie and DC-6.

You could actually SMELL the planes (can't do this at a big-city airport, anymore, sadly)

And, of course, was always tremendous fun watching the buses traveling to and from the Lincoln Tunnel; so many "fallen flag" companies......PSNJ, SUBURBAN, WESTWOOD, RED & TAN, INTER-CITY, NORTHEAST, not to mention ORANGE & BLACK, MANHATTAN LINES, SOMERSET, DE CAMP, and, of course, GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS.

I may be a lot older than I was these days, and gray, but, man, I'd NEVER trade the memories I have of transportation when it was still COLORFUL and DIVERSE....and FUN!!

"NYO"

Very Happy
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629"]traildriver:

At the old GREYHOUND terminal (across from the old Pennsylvania Station, and, later, at the "Port-of-Authority") I well recall seeing GREYHOUND (and TRAILWAYS) drivers walking through the concourse; they indeed looked like high-ranking Air Force men! Very Happy

PROUD of THEMSELVES, PROUD of their UNIFORMS, and PROUD of their PROFESSION! Wink

Back in the 60's, I wonder how many other young boys (like Your's Truly) fantasized about driving a SCENICRUISER or a 4104/4106 along America's highways and byways, attired in a natty uniform?
"NYO"[/quote

NYO--

That was myself, too...

After my first "long-distance" bus ride, solo, at the tender age of eight! (those were different times), from New York City PABT to Worcester, MA,
aboard a Trailways of New England PD-4103 in 1955, I was "bitten hard by the bug".

My parents introduced my to the driver, and sat me on the aisle seat directly behind him so that he could observe me enroute, and assured that he would see that I got off in Worcester to be met by my aunt and cousin's.
I was mesmorized by all the wonders of the coach, especially the recling seat. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get one of the "new buses" (PD-4104 with its 'picture windows", but as soon as the driver closed the door and started driving, that quickly went away.

Since the bus did not have a rest room, we made the obligatory scheduled rest stop 2.5 hours later at the Cypress Grill, near Middletown, Ct. We also made station stops at New haven and Hartford before arriving at Worcester. I was intently focusing on the streets we took right out of the PABT, and all the turns we made and the names and numbers of the highways.

I especially remember the various service plazas on the New England Thruway and Connecticut Turnpike. This was a year prior to the beginning of the Interstate Highway system numbering. I was fascinated by the sounds of the Detroit Diesel straight 6-71, and the skill of the driver double-clutching thru the gears. Also how smooth and professional the driver piloted the coach thru traffic.
By the end of the trip, I was "sold" on becoming a long-distance bus operator.

And now, a lifetime later, I am still enjoying my 'dream profession'...
Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

1955?

I did not hit the planet until two years later (January, 1957!)

Ahhhh, you, my friend, are indeed one of the "lucky men" who was able to follow your dream to reality; Your's Truly was always fascinating by commuter operations (rail//ferry/bus), so, in 1979, I was able, at least, to see that "dream" become reality!

As I always wore a suit, tie, and a fedora, and always carried a briefcase, I was, indeed, the on-the-go "live action" version LIRR's old "Dashing Dan"!Wink

I graduated high school in July of 1975.

The first thing I did was to write to the E-L, CNJ, and PATH for an application for employment.

While I DID take an "entry quiz" for PATH (not to brag, but I thought I was a "shoe-in" here) I knew I was a goner as soon as I saw the test, as it was almost all mathematical (simple ARITHMETIC was ALWAYS my WORST subject!) Sad

There was very little about the trains/operations themselves; needless to say, I flunked.

Instead of at least getting a letter back stating I'd failed, all I got was a "postcard" (NOT all all conducive to privacy!)Sad

Oh, well.

I had also written to PENN CENTRAL; their response was classic; they sent me my OWN LETTER back, with "SORRY, WE ARE NOT HIRING", written in red at the top!

(Guess they were so bankrupt, they couldn't even afford stationary!)

Both E-L and CNJ were courteous enough to reply with polite letters and applications; they told me that they were not hiring at present, but would keep my request on file.

Well, this was just before ConRail; I never bothered to re-apply)

Oddly, I never tried for employment with any of the bus operators (and, in a way, I'm glad I didn't; too much changed in too short a time)

In my nearly 25 years of working on "The Street", I rode, at different periods, the PATH tubes, the subways, buses, and ferries.

By the time Your's Truly retired in early 2004,, so much had changed.

I was then taking the subway and NJT's #159R to and from the city (PATH to downtown, of course, out due to 9/11)

Fishbowls and Flex New Looks were gone, as were the IRT "Redbirds" (I DID ride the R-32 "Brightliners" downtown in the AM; of course, the old R-10/12/14/15's were, by that time, long gone)

Few commuters were still "dressing up" as I was still doing, and, after 9/11, was no longer comfortable either on the subways or going through the Lincoln Tunnel (something I NEVER thought I'd feel!)

At work, floor operations was downsizing, and I was now doing extra work for the same pay.

Here again, I once found being on "The Floor" most exciting, but, by 2003, I was more than ready to "pack it in".

The fun had virtually all evaporated, commuting-wise. Sad

Your's Truly took my first "solo" bus ride in 1966, via a PSNJ 4509 on the "17 SUMMIT", from our stop on 13th St. to 24th St (Union City).; my folks and I were going to have dinner (Italian!) with my brother Joe's fiancee's family, and Mom sent me on ahead with a cake from Werben's Bakery (right by the bus stop on Summit)

A short ride, but one that, nonetheless, was an EXPERIENCE!! Wink

I am now reminded of just after 9/11, when ferry operations were being "restructured", and, quite often, chartered fishing party boats were being brought in to carry the extra loads, now that there was no PATH tubes to downtown.

I well recall the barges (covered in canvas) moored at the seawall at Battery Park as floating docks, where we boarded whatever boat was coming in.

Later, I began sailing from the area near South St. Seaport to Hoboken, where I would catch an ACADEMY Boulevard East bus.

On cloudy, misty days, when no one was outside the cabin, I would stand as close to the bow as I could, and sing old Irish sea chanties (Hey, the oppurtunity was TOO GOOD to pass up!)

After the Hudson froze solid one morning (forcing me to take "The Tubes" from Hoboken to 33rd St., then walk a block to catch an IRT 7th Avenue train downtown) I reluctantly started taking the bus into the city and then the subway (at least the "Redbirds" were still around for awhile yet)

I did this until warmer weather, when I went back to the ferries, at least for a time.

That's all in the past, now; and I STILL miss "the old days" when vintage equipment could still be savored.

However, I DO have MANY wonderful, vivid memories of those old days! Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....if any fellow would have made for an OUTSTANDING "bus man", it would have most certainly been the late, legendary Jim Lehrer.

I could easily picture him behind the wheel of a SCENICRUISER, EAGLE, 4104, or Flex CLIPPER; recall, too, in his earlier days, he WAS employed as a ticket agent/bus announcer for CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS at a small Texas depot! Very Happy

And, as the fates had it, he ended up making a lifelong career of being one of our most long-standing and respected newsman; and yet, as we all know, his love of buses, bus history, and memorabilia only grew stronger through the decades (Your's Truly KNOWS that feeling QUITE well!) Wink

Had I had the chance, in another time and another place, I would have had a VERY TOUGH time deciding to go with either GREYHOUND or TRAILWAYS (I loved, and still do, both companies)

Loving SCENICRUISERS and EAGLES as I did (and still do, of course!) it would have made for a VERY difficult choice, as to which company I would "pledge allegiance" to!

Not surprisingly, my vintage toy bus collection clearly shows my strong dedication to both of the fabled old carriers!Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Had I had the chance, in another time and another place, I would have had a VERY TOUGH time deciding to go with either GREYHOUND or TRAILWAYS (I loved, and still do, both companies)

"NYO"

NYO--
I know exactly what you mean...I solved that dilemna by, at different times, working for BOTH companies... Very Happy Cool

As well as many other's. Guess you could call me that old railroad term for men that moved around the country, working for various roads, a "Boomer",
nothing to do with baby boomer generation, but rather someone that went from one lucrative company, stayed a while, and then when wanderlust overwhelmed, moving on to 'greener' pastures.

The old magazine, "Railroad", edited by Freeman Hubbard, had many exciting fictional stories telling tales of these "boomers" versus "home guards", that spent an entire lifetime on one road, and possibly just one division of that road. The boomer's having experience in all types of territory, were usually very adept at problem solving, and thinking "outside the box" to accomplish same.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Ahhh, "RAILROAD".....NEVER missed an issue, back in the day! Wink

Recall, also, Joe Easly's, "ALONG THE IRON PIKE"?

And, of course, Steve McGuire's "TRANSIT TOPICS"!

And "INFORMATION BOOTH"("ASK BARBARA")?

IMHO, when RAILROAD and RAILFAN merged, it just wasn't the same.

I preferred it when they were still TWO separate publications; I enjoyed the "old format" of the two magazines much better.

However, I DO recall a VERY good article on the last CNJ tugs, that were then operating (I believe) down South somewhere, and were about to be retired (they had F-M power plants, if I recall correctly)

"BUS WORLD" I really miss to this day; I recall, towards the end, the format changed, and there was virtually nothing "vintage" within its pages.

Back around 1986, one issue had what Your's Truly termed the BEST "centerfold" of all time, featuring a magnificent lineup of GREYHOUND's historic fleet, with drivers attired for that particular era.

Those buses were ROLLING MASTERPIECES!!!! Very Happy

Another magazine I really miss is "ElectricLines"; always so much on trolleys, interurbans, rapid transit, and electric motive power, here and abroad.

Given the"glut of smut" on the shelves these days, sad that neither "BUS WORLD" or ElectricLines" are now both long gone. Sad

Going waaaaayyy back now (1960's), recall the ads in MR and RMC for FLIESCHMAN, MARKLIN, ARNOLD-RAPIDO, ROKAL, VARNEY, BOWSER/PENNSYLVANIA SCALE MODELS?

In the late 60's, two issues of RMC had excellent features on the old ERIE Stillwell coaches and the old DL&W "Boonton" cars (I knew both types VERY well as a kid!) Wink

Showing my age, now....... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....too, cannot forget another of my favorite "hobby" magazines of the 1970's, Vane Jones "TRACTION & MODELS".

Your's Truly gleaned a lot of tips and ideas of traction modeling, from those pages, when I was in my teens!Wink

Recall, also, back in the 60's, the ads in RMC and MR for Brooklyn-based "SILVER LEAF RAPID TRANSIT MODELS" (on Marlborough Road!)

I remember seeing photos of outstanding HO models of IRT Lo-V's and BMT "Standards"; back in the mid-60's, I recall seeing a BEAUTIFUL Silver Leaf "Lo-V" in the window of "HOBBY MART" at the PABT, which had been hand-painted and detailed....WOW!!!!!! Shocked

(Reminded me of an H&M "Black" car!) Very Happy

It was, perhaps not at all surprisingly, that, until I first saw a copy of "BUS WORLD" on the stands in lower Manhattan (mid-1980's), that I realized that I was NOT the ONLY male into buses! (I certainly never met any other bus/transit enthusiasts during my school years!) Sad

Where have the years gotten to? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 34 of 73

Jump to: