BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jersey City DOT Flex New Look oddities.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the CHARTERED Central Avenue bus 58 on Tenth Avenue, Manhattan, a long time ago Dad explained that the NYPD required the word CHARTERED on non-franchise route buses in the five boroughs. From the 1920's onwards, until the Department of Traffic took over from the NYPD, it was the Police Department that assigned bus stops, pedestrian safety zones, and various rules that applied only in the City of New York but had effect outside the city because the vehicles might enter the city.
---
For example, I think there is still a New York City law that requires commercial vehicles to have their street address painted in a certain size letters on both front doors. A friend of ours lived in Suffolk County and after the war bought a pick-up truck, which he would use in his store gate business on West 28th Street. He was often stopped by police officers for not having his business name and address on the truck's doors. City regulation! He would play the rural hick and get out of the ticket. I think the original purpose of the law may have been to combat bootlegging, but in the present it serves to immediately identify the vehicle in a collision without searching for paperwork. I find it particularly informative on fuel oil trucks.
---
Likewise, I believe the word CHARTERED was a city, not state or interstate requirement. Because so many buses came into the city, the various companies decided to follow the city law. Nowadays, perhaps, the law is void, as we can see charter buses on the interstates with signs like "Happy Holidays" or "Dahlia Tours," or whatever.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

As you and I both know, in our day, any time you saw a bus (transit or suburban) and saw "CHARTER" on the roller curtain, you, of course, knew that the bus had been hired out by some group or organization (school/church/fraternal organization, etc.)

In Great Britain, the word "CHARTER" was not used; roller signs would instead read:

"PRIVATE"

or:

"PRIVATE COACH"

When London-area buses displayed ads for chartering a bus, the ads would read something like:

"WANT TO HIRE A BUS? THEN TELEPHONE OUR PRIVATE HIRE DEPARTMENT"

PSNJ/TNJ always did a brisk charter business, prior to the NJT era; when I was going to school back in the 1960's, however, I remember our charters being mostly "ORANGE & BLACK", "RED & TAN", and "DE CAMP".

I can also remember seeing some buses displaying a "SPECIAL" sign when operating on charter.

I also have a number of vintage tin toy buses from the 1950's and 1960's that have "RESERVED" on the destination sign.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Avenue & 31st., 1973.

Here's a handsome "HUDSON VALLEY" Old Look suburban displaying a classic "CHARTER" sign.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1530

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NHBL Old Look #B-134, an old friend of mine, seen on a fan trip in Newark, back in 1975.

Note white-on-red "CHARTER" sign.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?654

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "DOMENICO" Fishbowl, snapped during a charter (fan trip), 1975 (bus here is signed "EXPRESS")

Also, note the vintage electric "CHARTER BUSES" sign on the garage, complete with an old telephone exchange.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2295

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE" NJDOT New Look, seen here on a charter run at South Ferry (1978) displaying a "SPECIAL" sign (note entrance to the old IRT South Ferry-Bowling Green shuttle on the left).......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?694

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BROADWAY" (Bayonne) also operated NJDOT Flex New Looks; these buses replaced the Old Looks, one of which can just be glimpsed on the left.

Mom and I sometimes rode on the old buses, back in the 1960's.

Note destination sign simply reads "BROADWAY", as the signs of the "BERGEN AVENUE" Flex New Looks only had "BERGEN AVENUE".......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayonne "BROADWAY" Flex New Looks.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?158 *

*Note that this bus (on Bergen Avenue) is displaying a "LOCAL" sign.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jersey City "indy" Flex New Looks......

By the time these new buses arrived in the mid-70's, the PATH Transportation Center was now handling all the buses that formerly loaded outside on the Square, or at the PS terminal on Sip Avenue.

Personally, I always liked the NJDOT Flex New Looks, however, I did NOT like the fact that they allowed for the retirement of a number of Old Looks (those that did survive this purge lasted into the early/mid-80's, before they were finally retired)

The last few NHBL Old Looks vanished from the #1 about 1986.

I am sure "indy" passengers (and drivers) appreciated the fact that these new buses had a/c, something that the Old Looks and Fishbowls lacked.

Ironically, the last time I ever saw a "CENTRAL AVENUE" Old Look was in November, 1974; the bus (quite full) was heading into the Lincoln Tunnel on a charter, heading into the city.

I, myself, was aboard a chartered "DE CAMP" Fishbowl, heading back home from our senior class trip into Manhattan (we took a tour of the magnificent Cathedral of St. John the Divine, and, later had a delicious lunch at the medieval "Monk's Inn", just a stone's throw away (Dang, I was only 17, then!)

In 1974, the "indies" were still Old Looks and Fishbowls (older non-GM buses, such as MACKS, had already been gone for several years or more)

Time indeed flies.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to the takeover by "ACADEMY", and much later, by NJT, another "indy", the "M&G" was one of the operators of the long-established #22 HILLSIDE"* (Fort Lee-14th St. Hoboken)

For many years, Mom and I were both quite familiar with this route (NJT cut it back to Nungessers around 2005); Mom and my aunt used it often to go shopping on Bergenline Avenue, and I often used it as part of my commute if the weather was inclement.

It is interesting to note this route (originally a PSNJ line) used NJDT Flex New Looks that featured both green stripes and orange stripes, in sync with "CENTRAL AVENUE" and "BERGEN AVENUE"/"LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE".

For 16 years (until 1993) the buses of the #22 could be viewed from our windows, looking just up the block (west) towards Anderson Avenue......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4316

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4317

*At a later date, the #22 was extended from 14th St., Hoboken (then the off-street terminal for "WASHINGTON ST." buses) down to the Hoboken PATH station.

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pre-"ACADEMY" operator of the "#22 HILLSIDE" was "FranMar"; "FranMar" operated Fishbowls; these are also buses that Mom and I knew quite well, back in those days........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2424 *

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2426

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway)

*Note that the "22" was still terminating at 14th St., Hoboken; also, note the "LITTLE MARCY'S" clothing store on the right; this was a long-established and popular store (now long gone) that the ladies in my family shopped at for many years.......
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In today's world, it is difficult (especially for younger people) to fully realize just how important the old "indy" companies of the Jersey City area were, several decades back.

The buses were, indeed, familiar parts of their respective neighborhoods; Jersey City locals would refer to the "MONTGOMERY & WEST SIDE" as "The Red Bus".

The buses that ran on Hudson Boulevard were known as (depending upon where you lived): "Boulevard buses", "#1 Local), "Boulevard #10", etc.)

Back in the 60's, the buses of the various "indy" companies offered economical and frequent service, especially during the rush hours.

In general, back then, it could be accurately said (of Jersey City) that: "If the 'Tubes' could not take you where you wanted to go, the buses would."

In the later 1960's, when older, non-GM buses (WHITE/MACK/REO, etc.) vanished, the Old Looks became the senior members of the various fleets.

In later years, not only would the Old Looks themselves become "endangered species", but, also, in turn, the Fishbowls that replaced them.

In time, even the NJDOT Flex New Looks would vanish from the Jersey City area, likewise, GRUMMANS and the RTS.

Today, only in old photographs and our memories to those colorful days of old "indy" operations survive....it sure was a lot of fun while it all lasted......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back when the NJDOT Flex New Looks began to enter service with Jersey City-area "indies" in the mid-70's, no one then, I'm sure, could foresee the day when these modern buses would be thought of as "classic" or "nostalgic".

I know Your's Truly certainly never did!

Today, it seems like it been eons since I rode one of these now-classic "indy" buses.......I sure wouldn't mind doing so again...... Wink

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?130

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though PSNJ operated the only streetcars in Jersey City (and, also, the only trolley buses "ASV's") one cannot underestimate the importance of the old "indy" bus companies in the area, even with the PS bus routes that eventually replaced the streetcars.

The commonplace "indys" added still more strength to Jersey City's already powerful public transport backbone.

"Local" buses:

NORTH HUDSON BOULEVARD

SOUTH HUDSON BOULEVARD

BERGEN AVENUE

LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE

DOWNTOWN

RED & TAN

Add to this, the PS routes that operated out of the Sip Avenue terminal.

Plus, you also had DE CAMP operating suburban service to Caldwell(#22); GREYHOUND was also still calling at the Square (Sip Avenue, opposite the PS terminal) in the 1970's.

In years past, you also had the long-distance buses operated by

EDWARDS

CHAMPLAIN

MARTZ

GOLDEN ARROW

SAFEWAY

The heavy amount of steady bus traffic at Journal Square, coupled with the frequent service provided by the H&M/PATH tube trains, all combined to make "The Square" the bustling, thriving, humming transportation/commercial/retail/entertainment hub it was known as for decades.

Without a doubt, it was FREQUENT, RELIABLE, ECONOMICAL public transportation that made Journal Square what it was, and has not been for well over four decades now........

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Coronavirus maybe around us for years, will people be willing to sit in a crowded airplane, subway train or bus? This could cripple our mass transit systems and send us to tricycle and private car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: