BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cruise Ship Companies: What Is The Future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(see previous links)

Yes......both types of ships are HUGE......AND....they BOTH carry passengers (and they FLOAT!).....but there is a fascinating and intriguing world of difference between them...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_liner *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_ship *

["ALL AHEAD SLOW"]

*(outstanding collection of historic and modern photos on these pages!) Very Happy

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Largest in the world.............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icon_of_the_Seas

["ROYAL CARIBBEAN"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

["ROYAL CARIBBEAN"]

Largest, that is, until the next Royal Caribbean ship comes out...that's their "M O" of late....each one is at least slightly larger than the last, for "bragging rights"...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

["ROYAL CARIBBEAN"]

Largest, that is, until the next Royal Caribbean ship comes out...that's their "M O" of late....each one is at least slightly larger than the last, for "bragging rights"...

traildriver:

I would imagine that, at some point, the MAXIMUM size for a cruise ship will be eventually reached.

How will the cruise ship companies find new "bragging rights" when they no longer have a ship built for them that is bigger than those of their competitors?

When I think back to my much, much younger days, I could not possibly imagine a "liner" being larger than, say, the "UNITED STATES" or the "QUEEN ELIZABETH".

When Mom and I would stand in the shadow of the prows of these great, majestic liners, 60-odd years back, I felt much like a Lilliputian standing in the shadow of Gulliver! Wink

One thing I liked about the "traditional" liners (and early cruise ships) was that they had an abundance of open spaces, where passengers could truly enjoy the exciting, bracing atmosphere of a sea voyage.

Recall, now, too, the long-gone "DONGAN HILLS" and "MISS NEW YORK"-class SI boats, with their open promenade decks.

Personally, if I heard that the next cruise ship was to feature a football stadium on board, I would NOT be the least bit surprised! Shocked

"NYO"

["UNITED STATES LINES"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard on the news that the world's largest cruise ship-"ICON OF THE SEAS"-is sailing out of Florida today (she was christened earlier this week by a soccer icon); this huge ship can carry 7600 passengers (full capacity) and is staffed by a few thousand crew (this ship also boasts the world's largest "at sea" pool!) Shocked She is also has greater fuel efficiency than older craft (a HUGE on-board party-to be sure-is now being celebrated on this towering and glittering ship!) Wink "NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...for decades now, RCCL has tried to maintain "bragging rights" for operation the world's largest cruise ship. The jump from the previous largest, their "Oasis Class" to this new Icon Class is only about 5 or 6 %, not nearly as large as their biggest previous leap of about 35% when their Voyager class was introduced...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Yes...for decades now, RCCL has tried to maintain "bragging rights" for operation the world's largest cruise ship. The jump from the previous largest, their "Oasis Class" to this new Icon Class is only about 5 or 6 %, not nearly as large as their biggest previous leap of about 35% when their Voyager class was introduced...
Personally----I think that-one-day-it will no longer be possible for a cruise ship to be built larger than its predecessors------after all-----aircraft carriers and battleships can only be built to a certain length ("when is big "too big"?)-----I feel that quite a few of the newest ships are built too high "topwise"-----thinking now of high winds and rough seas----------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting: Earlier-I found online photos for the 1969 flick "HERCULES IN NEW YORK" (Arnold Shwazznager/Arnold Stang!) Shocked One photo showed Arnold Stang at the West Side piers; in the background the "FRANCE" is seen docked-along with a tug at her prow (a long long ago scene-for certain!) "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-----of course-not only are the old West Side piers seen in the 1969 fantasy flick "HERCULES IN NEW YORK" long since gone-without a trace-but also-the proud and graceful "FRANCE" has-likewise-long since ceased to exist-----when this flick debuted-such scenes were indeed endangered------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-----------ironic that-of all the graceful liners that once called at the West Side piers-only two are still in existence today-----one of these noble ships is (as we already know) a floating hotel/shopping center in California-while the iconic "SS UNITED STATES" has been sitting idle for decades-rusting and decaying further-despite the occasional news stories we hear that this once-proud ocean greyhound will finally be restored----------Your's Truly is NOT holding his breath on this------ Sad "NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, here's some more "survivor's" that have enjoyed a much better fate than the "Big U"....

https://ssrotterdam.com/

https://www.qe2.com/en/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten about these two graceful relics of another age; thanks for the heads-up! Wink As a lad 60-odd years ago-I well recall the old the old "5th Street Pier"* in Hoboken-before operations shifted to a West Side pier; a worker there (at Hoboken) at the went to high school with one of Your's Truly's older brothers-and would hand us "guest passes" so we could go aboard and "see the sights"-------those graceful ships were indeed sleek and stately (and HUGE!) Shocked About 40 years back-I can recall seeing the "OCEANiC" undergoing work in Bayonne while aboard a St George-bound ferry (one of the "KENNEDY"-class diesels)-----as a kid-it was always quite exciting to be aboard a SI boat and see an outbound liner pass us-----ahhhh------what great recollections! Very Happy *(Thislong-since-razed pier was also featured in 1954's "ON THE WATERFRONT")------"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Luxury Liner Row"------how lucky this now-gray fellow still recalls the long-ago days (60-odd years back!) when you could still gaze upon rows of classic liners awaiting their next sailings ( I can still see the original "Queens"-the sleek new "FRANCE"-and the stately "UNITED STATES"-----in the 1970's-on a sunny Saturday) I recall seeing the "DORIC"and the "SAGAFJORD" as well as three or four others on the West Side (these ships were then likely all doing cruise work) interesting also to recall a certain CUNARD ship (the "CARONIA")-which had the honor of being the first liner designed for cruising-------(recall too-the HUGE green gas tank with the big yellow sign: "GAS HEATS BEST")-just on the other side of the old West Side Highway)-------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another personal childhood recollection-back in 1966-I recall seeing the sleek "CONSTITUTION" and her equally stately sister-the "INDEPENDENCE"- in drydock together at the old 14th Street shipyards (now long gone) in Hoboken; what a thrill-years later-to see a photograph of these two ships at the Hoboken shipyards in 1966-(just as Your's Truly recalled!) in the excellent book "GREAT CRUISE SHIPS AND OCEAN LINERS: 1954 to 1986"! Shocked Shocked Was QUITE surprised-to say the least-to see this photo-to say the least! Shocked By 1966-both ships also spent their winters laid up; the once-profitable trans-Atlantic trade was rapidly disappearing and both ships were-by then-also cruising to the Caribbean------"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting also-that-on the New Jersey side of the Hudson-the only location where transatlantic liners docked was at Hoboken (the last sailed circa-1964); also liners did not call at Jersey City (although plenty of cargo ships/freighters did); though Staten Island once boasted a plethora of "deep water" piers (again-used only by freighters) between St George and Clifton-there were no piers for passenger ships (the closest to liners docking in Staten Island were the troopships which connected with SIRT/B&O trains during WW2); of course-cruise ships now also dock in Bayonne-----"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: