BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Cruise Ship Companies: What Is The Future?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: The Cruise Ship Companies: What Is The Future? Reply with quote

The past ex-amount of years have not been smooth sailing (pun not intended!) for the cruise ship industries.

Passengers swept overboard, nueroviruses, and other maladies have not been kind to the industry in recent times.

One can only imagine as to how the cruise ship operators are coming (and how they will continue to cope) with the current health emergency (may we all start to see some rays of hope soon)

I briefly heard on 1010 WINS News Radio something about some idle Carnival Cruise ships might see use as floating hospitals.

As with so many other industries (most certainly airlines) the cruise ship companies have been dealt are hard blow, and it will be most interesting (as well as positive) to see them eventually come back and once again begin providing cruiser to happy, HEALTHY vacationers, at a later date, hopefully not too far into the future.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you might expect, there are a number of news stories on the internet regarding this topic.

Right now, one cannot help but wonder is how these cruise ship companies are going to cope during this uncertain time, and also, what the future holds, regarding the (eventual) return to "business as usual" ......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, during this time, I think that many who, heretofore, never thought of the vast complexities (and tremendous costs) of operating a cruise ship company, are now going to see the business in an entirely new light......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding "hospital ships".......

In "THE BOATS WE RODE" (Roberts/Gillespie, 1974) there is a page on the St. John's Guild's "FLOATING HOSPITAL"

Looking much like a futuristic excursion boat, this vessel entered service in 1974 as a "passenger service barge".

The lack of engines not only eliminated power plant vibrations, but also, made available more space for highly specialized equipment.

Her upper decks had clinics medical, dental, and other departments, as well as social services; special features included four large classrooms and an auditorium for educational films and lectures.

Beginning in 1872, the St. John's Guild took sick children on picnics and excursions, using converted barges and de-engined steamboats.

Prior to the new "FLOATING HOSPITAL's" arrival in 1974, the "LLOYD I. SEAMEN" (also requiring a tug for traveling) was in this service, from 1935 through 1973.

Many years ago, I also recall TV commercials for the "U.S.S. HOPE"......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should bring up cruise ships re the China Virus, (as the POTUS now likes to refer to it)....

I am typing this on perhaps the last cruise ship to complete its voyage...
I boarded Hurtigruten’s expedition ship, the Roald Amundsen in Punta Arenas, Chile on 29 February, for a 17 day expedition cruise to Antarctica and return.
Along the way, this pandemic hit the world. Now, after conpleting our voyage (virus-free, thankfully), Chile, and most other South American countries will not let us disembark. They did let us back, only to refuel, and gave us some provisions.
Our next hope is to disembark on the 25th, in Stanley, the Falkland Islands, where Hurtigruten is trying ti arrange charter flights home.
Meanwhile, we are enjoying Hurtigruten’s hospitality at their expense on our “extended” adventure....

Stay tuned....🙂
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Might I suggest that you change your handle to "GlobeSailer"? Wink

Talk about "seeing the world", as the old travel brochures used to say! Shocked (I sure hope you got to see some penguins as you neared Antartica!)

Fascinating!!

In addition to my lifelong interests in transportation, I've long been fascinated by historic navigators (and, boy, there were plenty!)

For instance, St. Brendan ("St. Brenden The Navigator") inspired seafarers down to the time of Columbus; his name has been linked to the discovery of America, and the mysterious appearance of Christianity among the Aztecs.

Of course, I've read much over the years on Henry Hudson and Verrazzano (our "local" navigators"!)

I am QUITE sure that there is QUITE a difference in sailing aboard an expedition ship than a luxury cruise liner! (recall, now, the long-ago days of passenger-cargo ships...."combos"?)

Several French, German, and Dutch steamer firms built such ships well into the 1950's, due to their popularity, and also, the source of increased revenue from travelers.

A few:

"AFRICAN ENTERPRISE" (FARRELL LINES)

"PRESIDENT POLK" (AMERICAN PRESIDENT LINES)

"ALCOA CAVALIER" (ALCOA STEAMSHIP COMPANY; this was a division of ALCOA ALUMINUM)

"GOTHIC" (SHAW SAVILL LINE)

"SANTA MONICA" (GRACE LINE)

In talking about "exotic cruises", I have, in my collection, an old brochure from the "NEW YORK & CUBA MAIL STEAMSHIP COMPANY".

They had two Manhattan offices; one was at the foot of Wall St., and the other was at 545 5th Avenue.

Three handsome steamers were in service then:

"ORIZABA", "SIBONEY", and "YUCATAN".

On the front of the brochure, there is a charming photo of a guitar-playing Senorita talking to a handsome Senor.

"CRUISES TO CHARMING OLD MEXICO"

On land, these cruises included rail transportation via Pullman!

These tours included all costs and the ships sailed from New York weekly.

Getting back to your "extended voyage", I certainly hope you will stay healthy and safe, AND also, provide updates on your fascinating adventure (sounds like an old "National Geographic" special!) Wink

"NYO"

*BTW: *Just did some fascinating reading on the "ROALD"; had NO idea that she was a sailing ship!

Man, what colorful images of the "Tall Ship" era were enticing my imagination earlier ("AVAST, THERE, MR. STARBUCK! GREAT WHITE SIGHTED OFF THE STARBOARD BOW!") Wink

Sailing ships have also long fascinated me.......and what a contrast to a modern cruise ship! Shocked

Then again, starting with harbor craft like ferries and tugs at a very early age, I've long had a strong interest in maritime history (but, then again, I think you already know that!) Wink
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This “Roald Amundsen”, named for the great Norwegian explorer, first to the South Pole, and first to complete the Northwest Passage, is a modern, state-of -the-art, hybrid powered, polar class 6 expedition ship, built last year. No sails...🙂
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
This “Roald Amundsen”, named for the great Norwegian explorer, first to the South Pole, and first to complete the Northwest Passage, is a modern, state-of -the-art, hybrid powered, polar class 6 expedition ship, built last year. No sails...🙂

traildriver:

QUITE interesting, to say the least (I was doing some more reading up on the "ROALD" last evening) Wink

No sails....well, at least, this noble ship is not at the mercy of the winds! Very Happy

I have a photo book on the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge; many rare photos from the 1870's and 1880's.

From these historic photos, you could clearly see, though steam already dominated harbor traffic (ferryboats, tugs, excursion vessels, etc.) the "tall ships" still dominated the much of the maritime trade.

The name "ROALD" AMUNDNSEN" reminded me also of the long-gone HOLLAND-AMERICAN line; I still clearly recall the Hoboken pier where the liners docked, before operations were shifted over to Manhattan sometime around 1964.

A friend of my brother's then worked at the pier, and he would give us passes to go on board one of the ships when they were docked at Hoboken (I well remember the majestic "NIEUW AMSTERDAM (I have a pocketknife with her likeness on it, that I purchased for $2.00 at a flea market, many years back)

Outside of CUNARD, it is still hard to believe that all the other great "steamship companies" of decades past are now, like virtually all the ships that once sailed under their flags have long since met the torch.

The present becomes the past all too quickly.......Sad

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Liner Conversions"........

Recall, when WW2 was being fought, both the "QUEEN MARY" and the "QUEEN ELIZABETH" entered wartime services.

The "QUEEN MARY", in fact, was the first to depart for military service, sailing to Sydney, where she was stripped and retrofitted for trooping; the "QUEEN ELIZABETH" followed her several months later.

At first, both ships (known as "Gray Ghosts") operated across the Indian Ocean, carrying Australian soldiers for the African campaigns, then returning with prisoners, evacuees, and the wounded.

In 1942, both ships began sailing again on the North Atlantic, carrying troops between New York and Scotland, weekly (the "Channel Route" was far too dangerous during the war)

During peacetime, both liners carried roughly 2,000 passengers; retrofitted for war service, each ship could now transport well over 15,000 GI's per crossing; in 1943, the "QUEEN MARY" established the greatest record of any ship during a crossing, with 16,683 soldiers and crew aboard.

By the late 1940's, both of these majestic and monolithic liners were again sailing across the Atlantic, carrying trans-Atlantic peacetime passengers......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent page (w/photos) on historic and modern hospital ships......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_ship
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the excellent book, "GREAT CRUISE SHIPS AND OCEAN LINERS: 1954-1986" (by William H. Miller, Jr., 1988), there is a photo of the "LINDBLAND EXPLORER", anchored off an Antarctic iceberg; penguins are seen lolling on the ice, with the ship in the distance, riding at anchor.

The caption states that the passengers went ashore in special inflatable landing rafts called "Zodiacs".

The "LINDBLAND EXPLORER" was built in 1969, at the Nystad Varv Shipyard at Helsinki; she was, in fact, especially designed for "adventure cruises" that were, indeed, "off the beaten track"-to the islands of the East Indies, the coastal regions of China, along the Amazon, and also, to remote spots in Scandanavia, as well as other exotic locales........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on the "LINDBLAND EXPLORER".....

In November, 2007, she sailed from Ushaia, Argentia, for a 19-day cruise through the Drake Passage.

Unfortunately, she collided with an iceberg, near King George Island.

Thankfully, all passengers were rescued; however, the ship herself sunk some 20-odd hours after the impact........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had mentioned before, it is going to be very interesting, to say the least, to see how quickly the cruise ship companies will recover from the current pandemic.

Needless to say, none of the companies are experiencing profitable (or happy) times, these days; hopefully, in the not-too-distant future, we will start to see at least SOME signs of slowly getting back to some semblence of normalcy........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I've been wondering about, is to the general upkeep of these huge ships during their layups during this time.

I would guess that there must be at least "skeleton crews" at work, inspecting the ships (power plants, hulls, etc.) to make sure all is as it should be........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cruise ships that were already scheduled for major dry-docking refurbishment during this time, are the fortunate ones...dry docks for cruise ships are scarce, and are scheduled years ahead, so ship owner's can't just take advantage of slow booking period to take their ships out of service.

Ship's that are layed up, do need a 'skeleton crew' aboard. Minimal for security, but also mechanical people to maintain batteries, seals, insure that pipes don't freeze, that their is no pest control problem, etc...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: