BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here are two 1970's photos of the old 1924 East Boston "tunnel" cars running on the "Blue Line"; note the large headlights and pantographs, which the cars were re-equipped with for "Blue Line" service in the 1950's.

The interior photo* is pure "Noo Yawk", for certain! Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?78240 *

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?18305

(courtesy:nycsubway.org)

["PULLMAN"]

The roof, meanwhile, appears reminiscent of old "Aitch-and-Em" cars that went up and down "the Tubes."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Right you are!

Not to mention the 1938 "Eye-Are-Tee'" WF cars! Wink

And, of course, the postwar R10/12/14's, which were also the last cars equipped with the time-honored "slap-the-caps-between-the-cars" conductor's controls!

Postwar, you could easily see that none of the (Boston) MTA's equipment even came close to resembling anything that was then operating in "Noo Yawk".........

"NYO"

["FOREST PARK"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting bit regarding an ex-MTA (NYC) RTS up in Boston.....

"......is it a disgrace for a former New York City bus to wear a Boston Red Sox logo? 'Paul Revere's' #9431, an ex-MTA T8j-206, now carries regular passengers and Sox fans around Boston........"

Ohhhh, the irony of it all!

(from: "RAPID TRANSIT SERIES BUSES"(McCausland)

["RTS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"stoa" and "T" (RTS).............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155966

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?152929

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["2354"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"......is it a disgrace for a former New York City bus to wear a Boston Red Sox logo? 'Paul Revere's' #9431, an ex-MTA T8j-206, now carries regular passengers and Sox fans around Boston........"

["RTS"]

Was that one of those buses the "Port-of-Authority" purchased and then leased to " 'stoa" or the 'Tee-Yay"? If so, that might explain why that bus ended up in Boston. I think it was the case that PA purchases of buses, once their service to 'Tee-Yay' or OA ended, went elsewhere (i.e. in some cases to "Joisey").
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WPostwar, you could easily see that none of the (Boston) MTA's equipment even came close to resembling anything that was then operating in "Noo Yawk".........

"NYO"

["FOREST PARK"]

I was painfully aware of that in my own trip to Boston in 1988 (I traveled the "Green Line" to and from Fenway Park to see the "Bosox" play the "Chisox" - the former won, of course).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
WPostwar, you could easily see that none of the (Boston) MTA's equipment even came close to resembling anything that was then operating in "Noo Yawk".........

"NYO"

["FOREST PARK"]

I was painfully aware of that in my own trip to Boston in 1988 (I traveled the "Green Line" to and from Fenway Park to see the "Bosox" play the "Chisox" - the former won, of course).

W.B,:

The closest that any RAPID TRANSIT equipment in Boston came to resembling any sort of "Noo Yawk" equipment were the aforementioned 1912 Cambridge cars (which, as it turned out, inspired the "Bee-Em-Tee's" Standards)

Today's "Blue Line", as I'd mentioned earlier, runs along a part of the former BRB&L narrow-gauge electric line, which ceased operation in 1940 (in true "Noo Yawk" tradition, passengers transferred to ferryboats to complete their commutes into Boston; a direct connection was then available to the BERy's Atlantic Avenue El)

After the BRB&L abandoned their electric trains and connecting ferries, the Atlantic Avenue El quickly lost is usefulness, and was soon abandoned.

The equipment on the BRB&L were former steam-hauled, open-platform coaches, motorized for MU service, and used trolley poles for current collection.

Interestingly, some of these cars (minus electrical gear) later went to the EAST BROAD TOP and the US NAVY Railway at Pearl Harbor.............

"NYO"

["BOSTON"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

["RTS"]

Was that one of those buses the "Port-of-Authority" purchased and then leased to " 'stoa" or the 'Tee-Yay"? If so, that might explain why that bus ended up in Boston. I think it was the case that PA purchases of buses, once their service to 'Tee-Yay' or OA ended, went elsewhere (i.e. in some cases to "Joisey").

W.B.:

Good question.

The aforementoned McCausland book gives no further info on this bus, outside of what I posted earlier.

However, the book states that "Paul Revere" was/is primarily a charter bus operator, but kept a number of used RTS buses on hand for smaller groups.

Some of their used RTS coaches were T70-604 models.

Am now wondering how many ex-MTA ("Noo Yawk") RTS might have migrated north to Boston........

"NYO"

["MTA"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at least some ex-MTA RTS were later operated in Boston, I wonder how many other properties purchased used RTS from the MTA (besides New Jersey's "ACADEMY")?

Further note on Boston's "Paul Revere":

As of 2008, the company was also using its second-hand RTS on what was termed "low-load specialty routes"..............

"NYO"

["RTS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting little bit on the RTS in Boston:

Years ago, for Boston's "T", GM rigged up an interesting "fixture"* at one of their garages, which allowed mechanics to test their skills working on a new RTS, without actually touching an actual bus.

I wonder if the "Em-Tee-Yay" had anything similar, back in the early days of RTS operation.....

"NYO"

*(information from the aforementioned McCausland book)

['M9 CHATHAM SQ"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from the McCausland book........

Here it states that, while the MTA would continually purchase the RTS from NOVA and TMC, the now-defunct independent companies held onto their older models for a longer period of time.

I would imagine, that once the MTA decided to start retiring the RTS, these older models were the first to go.......

"NYO"

["M"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from the McCausland book........

Here it states that, while the MTA would continually purchase the RTS from NOVA and TMC, the now-defunct independent companies held onto their older models for a longer period of time.

I would imagine, that once the MTA decided to start retiring the RTS, these older models were the first to go.......

"NYO"

["M"]

I can tell you that the last RTS bus I rode, the day it had its last run, was a Nova, but had a TMC plate. I think I remember the GM RTS's, in their last years, being rebuilt before being put out to pasture.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Appreciate the info.

What of the CNG buses rostered by "COMMAND"?

I've seen photos of these buses wearing the old "COMMAND" paint, but now sporting "MTA" emblems..........

"NYO"

["CNG"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the only photo at nycsubway.org of a "COMMAND" RTS (CNG).........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156358

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["NOT IN SERVICE"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering now if the "Em-Tee-Ay"* ever considered purchasing (new) CNG-powered RTS (or, at least, experimented with a demo)

"NYO"

["7170"]

*(I have read that, surprisingly, the "Em-Tee-Yay"did continue to operate the ex-independent CNG (RTS) buses for some time, after the takeover)

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 68 of 70

Jump to: