BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Great info, as always.

Funny how certain cities were die-hard "Gee-Em" customers, whereas, some cities (Chicago being a prime example) simply went "gung-ho" with the "Dangerfields".

I don;t know if this was mentioned elsewhere in previous discussions, but what "special services" did the "Tee-Yay" run during the 1964/1965 seasons, bus-wise? (recall the 1965 photo of Fishbowl #2216, the link for which I posted earlier)

In that photo, look closely, and you will see that, on the roller curtain, the "O" in "WORLD" was replaced by the Unisphere!"

"NYO"

["New York City Transit Authority"]

Wink
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Tee-Yay's' special buses would have all read 'WORLD'S FAIR' on the front roll sign, and would, by definition, have been all Fishbowls. No "antiquated" Old Looks on that route (sign box up front or not). But I think there may've been special express buses (or equivalent) run by MaBSTOA in Manhattan to connect to such buses going to the later Fair. I saw a pic of at least one other special Fair bus with an ad for WNEW 1130 on one of the sides.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I have a book (which I misplaced years ago, and haven't seen in years) that dealt with the history of The Port Of New York and New Jersey.

I remember there was a photo of a RED & TAN Old Look at the GWB terminal, with "WORLD'S FAIR" on the roller curtain.

Recall, of course, GREYHOUND's prominent involvement in the Fair, from pavilions, "Glide-A-Ride" trams, and sightseeing-roof Fishbowls (I still have my tin toy friction replica of one of those buses in my collection!) Wink

I can STILL smell that "new bus smell" when touring the Fair aboard one of those sleek GREYHOUND Fishbowls..... Very Happy

"NYO"

["X-LIRR & SUBWAY"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat May 21, 2022 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos/info on the 1939 IND World's Fair line, and the 1964 AMF Monorail (THAT was "Jetsons" COOL.....NEVER to be forgotten!) Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/1939_and_1964_New_York_World_Fairs

["Follow The Blue Arrow To The Fair"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND at the '64 Fair.......

www.nywf64.com/greyhound07.html

["Greyhound Scenicruiser Service To The World's Fair"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyhounds Fishbowls at the 1964-1964 Fair.....

60 TDH-5303's

40 SDH-5302's

"NYO"

["Let's Go To The Fair-by Greyhound!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy these nostalgic Fair-era GREYHOUND pics....... Very Happy

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/531213718552457430/

"NYO"

["World's Fair Sightseeing]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 22, 2022 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Fair)"Nostalgia" with a Capital "N" (Yonkers, 1964).......Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155951

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["Meet You At The Fair"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting historical note.......

For a brief time in 1939, B&QT operated a special (extra fare) streetcar service to the Fair from downtown Brooklyn.

This service was short-lived, however, as the City ordered that this service stop running, as it violated the 5-cent fare franchise.

Both PCC's and older cars were used in this short-lived service......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117781

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117819

"NYO"

["World's Fair"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delivered just in time for service to the 1964 Fair, the LIRR took delivery of its final "conventional" cars prior to the new "M-1's".

Known as "ZIPS" cars, the cars were painted to tout service to the fair, their sides emblazoned with:

"YOUR STEEL THRUWAY TO THE FAIR GATEWAY"

For the 1939 Fair, the LIRR operated MU shuttles between Penn Station and the Fair; the PRR also scheduled its daily "TRAIL BLAZER" through to the Fair, with old DD-1's hauling the train, using third rail.

LIRR billboards of that era read:

"10 MINUTES-10 CENTS-FROM PENNSYLVANIA STATION TO STATION AT FAIR GROUNDS"......

"NYO"

["LIRR: YOUR STEEL THRUWAY TO THE FAIR GATEWAY"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excellent page (photos/maps/articles) on the LIRR's service to the '39 Fair; also, photos of the LIRR's World's Fair station and the trains themselves*......

https://arrts-arrchives.com/1939wf.html

*(EXCELLENT article (with photos) here of the LIRR's futuristic station at the Fair; truly sad that such a handsome, modernistic structure was destined for such a short service life)

["LIRR"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Interesting historical note.......

For a brief time in 1939, B&QT operated a special (extra fare) streetcar service to the Fair from downtown Brooklyn.

This service was short-lived, however, as the City ordered that this service stop running, as it violated the 5-cent fare franchise.

Both PCC's and older cars were used in this short-lived service......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117781

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?117819

Great shots!

Did you notice the very modern appearance of the railing along Horace Harding Blvd.? To my eyes, they seem out of place in that photo...look like they belong about twenty years later in time...especially in comparison to the street lamp standards, not to mention the trolley car.

"NYO"

["World's Fair"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I see you and I were noticing the same thing!

Indeed, those fixtures looked more reminiscent of the 1950's, at least to my eyes...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1960's/very early 1970's, an obscure 1958 sci-fi flick, "THE LOST MISSILE" was often aired in the New York area.

It deals with a "lost, unidentified missile" that is streaking through the skies at a low altitude (five miles up) and, the tremendous heat from its engines incinerates everything below.

Ottawa (later, sadly destroyed) is in the missile's destructive path; In Ottawa, there is great footage of many buses (CCF-BRILLS, Old Looks, and FORDS)

New York is also poised for destruction, and, here, we see a lot of "recycled" Civil Defense footage, a lot of it showing the Times Square area.

Many Old Looks and SURFACE Macks are seen; there is a quick interior shot of the driver's area of one bus bus, pulling over to the curb (Johnson fare box is prominent)

There are also some subway scenes; there are some Civil Defense footage of crowds passing through mezzanine areas, and, where, terrified mobs try to board the last train out of Manhattan, we see a studio mock-up of a platform (an old "INTERBOROUGH"-type sign is briefly seen on the wall)

The train (a mock-up) appears to be IND; when the train pulls out as people shove and push trying to get aboard before the doors close, we hear a typical prewar air whistle, with an announcer intoning: "No further trains will leave Manhattan" (we briefly see stock footage of a train pulling out of the station, which appears to be IRT)

Hysterical mobs jump off the platform and start running through the tunnel, some electrocuted on the third rail.

Of course, the world is saved when the "lost missile" is destroyed by a nuclear warhead, and we see more old Civil Defense footage of New Yorkers emerging from the subways and shelters, with traffic and life returning to normal.

As noted, this film dated from 1958; however, in one quick scene, you can see a theatre marquee displaying "TWO TICKETS TO BROADWAY", which dated back to 1951.

I had not seen this movie in perhaps 50 years, but, through a friend, discovered it was now on Youtube (a LOT of classic buses to be seen!)..........

"NYO"

["Duck And Cover!"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue May 24, 2022 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a SURFACE bus seen in "THE LOST MISSILE" (image is not all that good)

(Below the photo is another still, showing the interior shot I mentioned, with the Johnson fare box clearly visible)......

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1383176-Mack-C45-DT-1948.html

(courtesy: imcdb.org)

["Civil Defense-YOUR Defense!"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 25 of 70

Jump to: