BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen here at Canal & Cropsey, back in 1980,"Borough Bomber" #319 looks almost serene.

At a casual glance, few would forsee not only a short (and undistinguished) service life for this bus and its bad luck brothers,but also, the days when the newspapers would be full of stories of these misfortunate buses literally falling apart on the teeming streets of "Noo Yawk........ Sad

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153306

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["B5 Kings Hwy"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cropsey & VA Hospital, 1980.

It looks as though, in this photo, that the veteran Fishbowl somehow KNOWS that, by its very presence, it simply overshadows the new "Borough Bomber".......certainly, no one can deny the fact that the once-commonplace Fishbowl, a rugged and highly-dependable bus in its own right, enjoyed decades of solid, reliable service to 'Noo Yawk" bus riders.......Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154692

["Take The Train To The Bus To The Plane"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the iconic, once oh-so-commonplace WOOLWORTH "5 & 10's", the unfortunate "Borough Bombers" can no longer be found in "Noo Yawk"...........or, for that matter, anywhere else these days...... Sad

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155764

["M100"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bronx Bomber", 1982.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155483

["Bx2"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue May 03, 2022 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Magic Of Macy's" (1982)......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155584

{"Macy's At Herald Square"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in '82, a "Borough Bomber" appears to be "in the lead" of a humble "Dangerfield" (Bainbridge & 210 St).......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155495

(courtesy:nycsubway.org)

["Bx15"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Back in '82, a "Borough Bomber" appears to be "in the lead" of a humble "Dangerfield" (Bainbridge & 210 St).......

["Bx15"]

And that electronic front sign on that "Bomber" appears to have seen better days, as well.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

["Bx15"]

And that electronic front sign on that "Bomber" appears to have seen better days, as well.

W.b.:

You noticed that, too?

Funny, I never though of the "Bombers" receiving less respect than the humble "Dangerfields" until you made mention of this in an earlier posting.

I wonder, now, just how the "Bombers" were regarded by drivers and mechanics when they first began entering service?

I'm guessing that at least some of the drivers preferred Fishbowls and "Dangerfields" over the new "Bombers" (of course, I am sure that at least some drivers might have been enamored, at least, at the start, with the new GRUMMAN buses)

I'll wager you this, though, HAD the "Bombers" been rebuilt and remained in "Em-Tee-Yay" service, they would have been looked down upon as the proverbial "red-headed stepchild",, receiving even less "respect" than the "Dangerfields".........

"NYO"

["Grumman'}
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall, also, that on the subways, a "Bomber" situation had developed m(later 1970's) when cracks were discovered in the Rockwell trucks of the new R-46 cars (ironically, replacing the last of the venerable prewar IND cars), requiring these cars to be pulled from service.

These cars, not surprisingly, had once been dubbed "the most troubled cars ever purchased" (sound familiar?)

Back in my straphangin' days, I avoided these cars like the plague, and only rode them when I had to; of course, even with all the garish graffiti, the R-10's were my faves! Wink

The R-46's, on the other hand, I would refer to (not complimentry!) as the "Lemon Limiteds" Razz

How ironically history repeated itself just last year, when a sleek, brand-new subway fleet had to be pulled from service, do do a number of issues? Sad

Sure makes you respect the longevity of such bygone cars as "Lo-V's", "Standards", R-10's (aka "Pattons"/"Thunderbirds"), and, of course, the legendary "Redbirds" and "Brightliners"........ Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new "Lemon Liner" at Stillwell Avenue.

Unlike the "Bombers", these cars eventually had the "gremlins" ironed out of them, and continue to serve to this day.

Too, consider that these cars have been in service over 40 years, while their rubber-tired counterparts were gone completely within a few years of delivery......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?119429

{"F Coney Island"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting "class comparison" shot at Stillwell Avenue, back in 2000......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1701.

It is easy to see what car classes inspired the '68's. Wink

In my long-established habit of giving monikers to buses and rail cars, I still refer to the 68's* (which class I still like, despite the fact that they dispatched my beloved "Patton" R-10's to the scrap heap) as "Rockys" or "Balboas", as they seem to be more "muscular" versions of the 44's and 46's........ Very Happy

"NYO"

["B Coney Island"]

(I have read of the 68's sometimes being referred to as "Hippos")
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to think about how many decades a given subway car might be in service, in comparison to the service years of a bus.

Certainly, way back in the day, city buses were built like the proverbial tanks, and were as tough.

In the early 1980's, on the IRT, you still had R-12's/14's/15's in service, dating from 1948 to 1940.

Now, had the MTA still had been running buses from that same era in the early 1980's, we would have still had Old Looks and MACKS (prior to 1951) still in service.......

"NYO"

["Ride The Surface Way"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting "class comparison" shot at Stillwell Avenue, back in 2000......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1701.

It is easy to see what car classes inspired the '68's. Wink

In my long-established habit of giving monikers to buses and rail cars, I still refer to the 68's* (which class I still like, despite the fact that they dispatched my beloved "Patton" R-10's to the scrap heap) as "Rockys" or "Balboas", as they seem to be more "muscular" versions of the 44's and 46's........ Very Happy

"NYO"

["B Coney Island"]

(I have read of the 68's sometimes being referred to as "Hippos")

Gene Sansone, author of a series of books detailing the evolution of New York City subway cars, characterized the Westinghouse-Amrail R-68's as the "dumb blondes" of the system. (He rated the Kawasaki R-68A's slightly higher - but only slightly.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I have that same Sansone book right beside me as I type these words; yes, I got a chuckle out of his referring to the 68's as "dumb blondes" (my apologies to any and all blondes!) Wink

Recall, last year, when a whole fleet of new NTT trains was sidelined, due to a number of issues; at least the "Em-Tee-Yay" still had older cars that could be used to "fill in the gaps" created by the removal of the new trains from service.

I always liked the 40's (both versions) and the 42's, though I did not care for their "improved" interiors after rebuilding.

These now-gone cars seemed, IMHO, pretty much "jacks of all trades", and enjoyed a decent service life, providing at least halfway-decent service.

I was never all that fond, however, of the R-62's; the only ones I got to like were those where sometimes you were lucky enough to find a railfan window awaiting your presence (in later years, I sought these out on the #7 Flushing line, after they had replaced the "Redbirds")........

"NYO"

["7 Main St."]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dusk Of The Gods" (1972).........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?53689

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 17 of 70

Jump to: