BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was VERY fortunate indeed to have come across this page; there are many rare old Bronx photos here, with a number of TARS scenes and views of the Els**.

In some of these nostalgic scenes, SURFACE* buses can also be found....... Wink

"NYO"

https://backinthebronx.com/address-book/?sf_paged=26

*Towards the bottom of the page there is a nice "portrait" shot of SURFACE #674....... Wink

**There are also few photos of gate cars on the Dyre Avenue shuttle, and one of the former NYW&B station house at Hunts Point.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had noted in my previous posting that there was a photo of SURFACE #674 on the page whose link I had posted; here's a photo of fleetmate #601, looking more than a bit work-weary......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154552

(courtesy:nycsubway.org)

["Ride The Surface Way"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bronx Trolley Terminals & Hubs" (more vintage photos).......

www.forgottenbronxtransit.mysite.com/photo.html

["Third Avenue Railways System"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
I had noted in my previous posting that there was a photo of SURFACE #674 on the page whose link I had posted; here's a photo of fleetmate #601, looking more than a bit work-weary......

["Ride The Surface Way"]

I wonder, was that pic taken in the '50's when, due to their bankruptcy, their maintenance practices were practically non-existent? (As was the case with some of their more dilapidated GM Old Looks and Macks.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

["Ride The Surface Way"]

I wonder, was that pic taken in the '50's when, due to their bankruptcy, their maintenance practices were practically non-existent? (As was the case with some of their more dilapidated GM Old Looks and Macks.)

W.B.:

Yes, this photo must have been taken in the 50's (early/mid-50's); note, in the right background, the auto that, clearly, is an early 1950's model (a Surface "BUS STOP" sign can also be glimpsed).......

"NYO"

*I did a quick check of Guy E. Martin's "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES", and, although delivery dates are given for the new postwar MACKS, there was no retirement date given for the retirement of the older buses.

If the photo in question was taken between 1950 and 1953, these older buses would have been being replaced by new MACK C-45-DT's (1900-2024).......

["Ride The Surface Way"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this snowy scene from the late 1940's, showing an elderly TARS deck roof streetcar (running on Route "X") followed by a new SURFACE Old Look.

The old being pursued by the new.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/6967311182/

["Tars Rt 'X'"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

........even though SURFACE buses vanquished the old TARS streetcars in Da Bronx, their legacy, like that of the streetcars, has now disappeared without a trace (AFAIK)

Though a small section of long-disused track might, every so often, be seen poking through worn pavement (line poles, except, perhaps, a single lonely and solitary example), have also disappeared.

But, what remains of SURFACE nowadays?

Today, only older, long-term residents and transportation enthusiasts would even know that SURFACE buses once lumbered and snorted through the streets.

Then again, it would only be the older folks who could even recall MaBSTOA........time marches on, but too much is forever lost in the process..... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excavated remains of an ancient society.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Tracks_on_Broadway
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since these photos were taken in the later 1990's, even these fleeting remains of the streetcar in "Noo Yawk" have since vanished.

Recall, the remaining Brooklyn trolleys ran for nearly a decade after the last TARS cars in "Da Bronx" were replaced with SURFACE buses......

https://www.forgotten-ny.com/1998/12/trolley-tracks/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, this page features vintage and modern-era photos detailing the last remaining trolley line poles in the Coney Island area (recall, streetcars served Coney Island well into the 1950's)

Though not impossible, it would seem highly unlikely that any of the old TARS poles in "Da Bronx" have survived until the present day.....

https://www.forgotten-ny.com/2012/03/coney-island-trolley-poles/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When these now-timeless photos of MaBSTOA Fishbowls were snapped 50-odd years ago, I doubt that the photographer had any inclination that he was, in fact, recording "Noo Yawk" bus history.

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154201

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155055

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

Note only due the buses themselves recall a long-since departed era in the City, but, also, the classic "OA" MaBSTOA insignias, and the stylish script over the windows; too, the distinctive "space age-60's" MaBSTOA "OA" medallions would also disappear.

All too soon, however, the buses would lose their familiar "Tee-Yay" green paint schemes, and the smart-looking script above the windows would also vanish.

How quickly today's commonplace becomes tomorrow's history......

"NYO"

["1 To 147st-Lenox Av"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo gallery on MaBSTOA's TDH-5303's...........

www.busdrawings.com/Transit/ny/mabstoa/1963tdh5303/3301to3375/index.htm

["9 to 225 St"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When these now-timeless photos of MaBSTOA Fishbowls were snapped 50-odd years ago, I doubt that the photographer had any inclination that he was, in fact, recording "Noo Yawk" bus history.

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154201

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155055

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

Note only due the buses themselves recall a long-since departed era in the City, but, also, the classic "OA" MaBSTOA insignias, and the stylish script over the windows; too, the distinctive "space age-60's" MaBSTOA "OA" medallions would also disappear.

All too soon, however, the buses would lose their familiar "Tee-Yay" green paint schemes, and the smart-looking script above the windows would also vanish.

How quickly today's commonplace becomes tomorrow's history......

"NYO"

["1 To 147st-Lenox Av"]

The short-run 101 branch between 125th Street-3rd Avenue and 23rd Street-3rd Avenue was basically set up in 1960 as a replacement for the old NYCO Division #3 Lexington Avenue route, with the north end truncated by six blocks (the #3's northern terminus had been 131st Street). Until the entire 101 route was shifted in 1965 to 100th Street depot, only that short-turn branch was based there (with specially-allotted TDH-4507's assigned to 100th Street that had 'SURFACE TRANSIT INC.' markings), with that branch handled by FACL - NYCO Division drivers, while the full 101 itself (both the regular Fort George-to-City Hall route and another 'short-run' from 96th Street to 6th Street) was out of Surface depot(s).

As I said, the last green buses to bear that distinctive script above the side passenger windows were:
- MaBSTOA: #6700 (GM)
- 'Tee-Yay': #5790 (Flx)
While the "space-age" 'OA' insignia were strictly on batwings 6701-6900 and 8301-8780.

['2 to 8 ST via LENOX']
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Appreciate, as always, your "in depth" historical feedback! Wink

Back in the day, seeing buses bearing scripts that read "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY" and "MANHATTAN AND BRONX SURFACE OPERATING AUTHORITY" added so much diversity and interest to the "Noo Yawk" bus scene.

In today's world of giant, people-eating caterpillars and oversized milk cartons, what, really, is there, to distinguish the "divisions"?

Going back to our old friends, the "Dangerfields", look at the "Tee-Yay" and "MaBSTOA" photo galleries at nycsubway.org; there are far, far more pics of the Fishbowls than there are of the "Dangerfields".

Getting back to the "diversity" era that we all took for granted, the "batwings" really gave us something else interesting to whet are "appetites", so to speak.

I especially loved the side signs, which always reminded me of the signs carried either between or above the rear doors on many center-entrance streetcars.

How much we took for granted.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......I think we're all pretty much showing our age, in this (and other) discussions......well, at least, we older fellows can HONESTLY say we cam remember BUSES that LOOKED like buses, and not oversized Dustbusters or rubber-tired milk cartons....... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

["25 To Alabama Ave"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun May 01, 2022 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 15 of 70

Jump to: