BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Avenue & 34th*, 1982.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1150

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*When this photo was snapped the 3rd Avenue El in Manhattan had been gone nearly 30 years, and gone from the Bronx less than a decade.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From:

"NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (Guy E. Martin)......

"........all of the 4506's and 4507's, some almost 20 years old, were sent to the scrap heap with the arrival of 325 new GMC TDH-5303's, numbered 5201 through 5525, early in 1965......"

".......five hundred additional 5303's, numbered 6401 through 6900, were received with 480 more, numbered 8301 through 8780, arriving in 1966 and 1967........"

"........the 8000 series were all air-conditioned, and had illuminated billboard advertising above the windows, obscuring the standee windows. Buses with billboard advertising had been on the increase since prototype bus #3472 was retrofitted in 1964......."

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faithful old (MaBSTOA) workhorses, still on the job....for now (1970)

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?792

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?797

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Avenue & 23rd, 1971*.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1093

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*Note, also, the once-futuristic "Whiteway" street lamps......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOT of "Noo Yawk" nostalgia going on here, at Broadway & 216th, back in 1972.

Most prominent here is the former (Kingsbridge Division) TARS car house*, here stabling "Tee-Yay" buses.

(note the "PLAID STAMPS" sign at the SHELL station!)

Sights like this (both in New York and in New Jersey, seeing buses still using former trolley barns), were once so commonplace at that time, but now, sadly, have forever vanished down the echoing corridors of time.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2741

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*One can only imagine what now-priceless transit relics were simply tossed into the trash, when this ancient facility was closed......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Avenue & 34th, 1981......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2568

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 54
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1067
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
A LOT of "Noo Yawk" nostalgia going on here, at Broadway & 216th, back in 1972.

Most prominent here is the former (Kingsbridge Division) TARS car house*, here stabling "Tee-Yay" buses.

(note the "PLAID STAMPS" sign at the SHELL station!)

Sights like this (both in New York and in New Jersey, seeing buses still using former trolley barns), were once so commonplace at that time, but now, sadly, have forever vanished down the echoing corridors of time.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2741

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

*One can only imagine what now-priceless transit relics were simply tossed into the trash, when this ancient facility was closed......

Kingsbridge housed Bronx MaBSTOA routes that were ex-STS/ST. (Interesting, given where it was located.) A new facility was put in place of that one. Just like 132nd Street was later demolished and Manhattanville put in its place. And Mother Hale replacing the old 146th Street depot that in turn was built in place of a prior New York Railways car barn.

Fun fact about Kingsbridge: For a period of over a year following the MaBSTOA takeover, that depot housed the ex-FACCo 4 Fifth Avenue-Fort Washington line. Seemed to be more in proximity to Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters than its once-and-future home of 132nd Street. This is why you see pics in the 1962-63 period of Kingsbridge-based buses running on the route in the area around Penn Station - and, on the FACL/ST Fishbowls, the route number placed on the right side of the front roll sign display (driver's left) rather than the left (driver's right).

I see the bus inside that stable, er barn, er depot, er garage - whatever, is of the 4-piece rear window layout.

And 8416 was an Amsterdam bus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Great historical facts and details.....which, of course, is your "4-tay"! Wink

(I see that you, like myself, noted the four-piece rear windshield on that Fishbowl that's just visible in the garage bay!) Very Happy

The old TARS streetcar system (and deservedly so) has been celebrated in print in a number of good books; where, then, are the books on ST and MaBSTOA?? (hint, hint!) Wink

Given this, have you ever noticed out of all many hundreds (thousands) of vintage "Noo Yawk" bus photos up on bus.nycsubway.org, VERY few photos show garages/depots, especially "Tee-Yay"/MaBSTOA?

It seems that there are a few yard scenes, but that's about it.

The garages/depots, of course, just as they are today, are vital and integral to bus operations; countless traction photos show the car barn buildings themselves, but rarely, if ever, do we see BUS GARAGE photos.

Especially, I would like to see more old depot photos from the ST and MaBSTOA age; I'm willing to wager there are such pictures out there, but, at present, are not out either on the 'net or in book form.

And, lastly, speaking of photos few and far between on bus.nycsubway.org; look at the section on ST.....just a handful.

To date, the largest number of ST photos I've seen are in the Guy E. Martin book.........

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 54
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1067
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Great historical facts and details.....which, of course, is your "4-tay"! Wink

(I see that you, like myself, noted the four-piece rear windshield on that Fishbowl that's just visible in the garage bay!) Very Happy

The old TARS streetcar system (and deservedly so) has been celebrated in print in a number of good books; where, then, are the books on ST and MaBSTOA?? (hint, hint!) Wink

Given this, have you ever noticed out of all many hundreds (thousands) of vintage "Noo Yawk" bus photos up on bus.nycsubway.org, VERY few photos show garages/depots, especially "Tee-Yay"/MaBSTOA?

It seems that there are a few yard scenes, but that's about it.

The garages/depots, of course, just as they are today, are vital and integral to bus operations; countless traction photos show the car barn buildings themselves, but rarely, if ever, do we see BUS GARAGE photos.

Especially, I would like to see more old depot photos from the ST and MaBSTOA age; I'm willing to wager there are such pictures out there, but, at present, are not out either on the 'net or in book form.

And, lastly, speaking of photos few and far between on bus.nycsubway.org; look at the section on ST.....just a handful.

To date, the largest number of ST photos I've seen are in the Guy E. Martin book.........

"NYO"

Not just STS/ST depots (pre-MaBSTOA), but also FACCo (if possible) and NYCO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Agreed.

In Mr. Ogden's book on FACCO., there are only two depot photos; only one shows the building itself (54th St. & 9th Avenue) with an open-top YELLOW pulling out.

Photo-wise, it would seem, the old bus depots/garages seem to be, more or less, "bit players".

I would like to see not only photos of the exteriors of the depots, but also, the interiors, showing buses being maintained, etc..........

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA RTS #2558 enjoying a brief respite at Kingsbridge, back in 1987.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?786

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garages, when the remaining MaBSTOA Old Looks were making their swan songs.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?790

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?798

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

132nd St. yard, 1972.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?837

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 54
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1067
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Agreed.

In Mr. Ogden's book on FACCO., there are only two depot photos; only one shows the building itself (54th St. & 9th Avenue) with an open-top YELLOW pulling out.

Photo-wise, it would seem, the old bus depots/garages seem to be, more or less, "bit players".

I would like to see not only photos of the exteriors of the depots, but also, the interiors, showing buses being maintained, etc..........

"NYO"

54th and 9th was a former New York Railways car barn, turned New York City Omnibus depot (rebranded Fifth Avenue Coach Lines 1956-62); as NYCO and FACCo had the same ownership at the time, I suppose it figures they'd have a double-decker lurking about. Didn't FACCo have a garage on 102nd Street between 5th and Madison that was meant to house those two-level buses?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 13625
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I cannot be at all sure, but I think the garage you mentioned that housed the double-deckers (102nd St,) indeed existed.

Here again, the Ogden book should have had, at least, a separate chapter on the depots; after all, they were a vital component of daily operations, and were fascinating subjects unto themselves......

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group