BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dateline: 1969 (also, other assorted vintage scenes)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time this 1969 photo was snapped of Old Look #3248, the long and legendary era of the Old Look in New York was indeed in its twilight.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?836

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5th Avenue & 8th St., 1969.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?795

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

In 1969, a "railfan window" could be found on all New York City subway cars, regardless of line.

Today, the final R-42's made their last runs.

With the R-42's now history, the only subway cars still in service with "railfan windows" are the remaining R-32 "Brightliners", which, from what I'vei heard, are to be retired in the not-too-distant future.

When the R-32's make thier final runs, the era of railfan windows will have faded into history.

Mind-boggling to think of how many subway buffs (Your's Truly included!) once thrilled to "playing motorman" over the course of many decades, thanks to the "railfan window"!

With railfan windows about to become extinct on the subways, perhaps the most intriguing and magical aspect of "riding the rails" underground will be gone forever, only to be experienced on Museum specials.

ABC-7 Eyewiness News reporter Tim Fleischer did a good report on the last run of the 42's (on the "A") line, near the end of the 4PM broadcast.

There was also one quick glimpse of an old photo of the cars when new, signed for the "RR".

Yet another long colorful era in NYC transit history has now disappeared forever down the echoing corridors of time....... Sad

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Fellows:

In 1969, a "railfan window" could be found on all New York City subway cars, regardless of line.

Today, the final R-42's made their last runs.

With the R-42's now history, the only subway cars still in service with "railfan windows" are the remaining R-32 "Brightliners", which, from what I'vei heard, are to be retired in the not-too-distant future.

When the R-32's make thier final runs, the era of railfan windows will have faded into history.

Mind-boggling to think of how many subway buffs (Your's Truly included!) once thrilled to "playing motorman" over the course of many decades, thanks to the "railfan window"!

With railfan windows about to become extinct on the subways, perhaps the most intriguing and magical aspect of "riding the rails" underground will be gone forever, only to be experienced on Museum specials.

ABC-7 Eyewiness News reporter Tim Fleischer did a good report on the last run of the 42's (on the "A") line, near the end of the 4PM broadcast.

There was also one quick glimpse of an old photo of the cars when new, signed for the "RR".

Yet another long colorful era in NYC transit history has now disappeared forever down the echoing corridors of time....... Sad

"NYO"

And I was on that final run. Northbound, got on at High Street-Brooklyn Bridge (it was packed like sardines) at 12:58 P.M.; southbound, stayed on from 207th Street to Euclid Avenue, getting off when everybody else did around 3:12 P.M. Let it all sink in quietly, unlike all the younger yahoos with their devices crowding around like bees in a hive. Because of all the crowds, didn't even get to enjoy even a remote moment of RFW . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Great that one of "the boys" from here was part of history! Wink

Yes, I could see that the train was pretty dang crowded (I experienced the time-honored "sardine crush" for nearly 25 years!) Shocked

Too bad you could not get near the RFW, even for a few minutes.

I hope that the pair of 42's at the Museum will eventually be restored to their original appearance, with the old interior paint replicated, as well as re-installing straphanger straps, and, of course, applying the "Ronan Era" blue striping to the exteriors.

Like the remaining "Brightliners", I never could warm to the overhauled interiors; I never liked the dull paint, nor did I like the removal of the traditional standee straps.

Last I rode a 42 (just for the fun of it) was in early 2003, just before I retired.

Hard to believe that, once the last R-32's vanish, "railfan windows" will be extinct on New York subways (they've already been gone from PATH equipment for a number of years now)

Time flies MUCH too fast for me.........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Great that one of "the boys" from here was part of history! Wink

Yes, I could see that the train was pretty dang crowded (I experienced the time-honored "sardine crush" for nearly 25 years!) Shocked

Too bad you could not get near the RFW, even for a few minutes.

I hope that the pair of 42's at the Museum will eventually be restored to their original appearance, with the old interior paint replicated, as well as re-installing straphanger straps, and, of course, applying the "Ronan Era" blue striping to the exteriors.

Like the remaining "Brightliners", I never could warm to the overhauled interiors; I never liked the dull paint, nor did I like the removal of the traditional standee straps.

Last I rode a 42 (just for the fun of it) was in early 2003, just before I retired.

Hard to believe that, once the last R-32's vanish, "railfan windows" will be extinct on New York subways (they've already been gone from PATH equipment for a number of years now)

Time flies MUCH too fast for me.........

"NYO"

Second time I've been part of recent history; I was on the final RTS bus ride last spring.

I would have also recommended restoring the original depth of the front and side door windows of the R-42; I calculated their post-GOH depth to be equivalent to an R-32, R-36 or R-38.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

Another of my favorite car classes were the "Slant" 40's; someone once said of them: "They're so ugly, you GOTTA love 'em!"

All I know is that I always liked them (especially pre-GOH) and was truly enamored with that "full length" railfan window (last time I rode a "Slant" was back around 1998, when I took a half PM personal day to go "riding the rails", as well as visit the TM)

To this day, I will never forget the eerie, weird feeling I felt the day after the last Redbirds ran; it simply felt VERY odd being in the subway, and knowing that there was NO PLACE in the vast complexities of the system where the legendary Redbirds were still clattering along.

Many years back, I can remember standing at the RFW of a WF "Bluebird" on the #7 (entering Queensboro Plaza), and still being able to see the disconnected rails of the old 2nd Avenue El, that, until 1942, had run over the Queensborough Bridge.

Remember, too, that these cars, even after GOH, still had interior lights that blinked off and on when there was a gap in the third rail; as a kid, I recall the incandescent light bulbs in the prewar cars blinking off and then on again, when switching tracks, or otherwise encountering a third rail gap.

I always got a kick out of that!

Sadly, today's younger generation will NEVER have our wonderful transit memories........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the now-retired R-42's......and classic buses.....this timeless scene from 1981 is sure to bring back memories..... Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1948

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1969 (transit-wise).......

The last BMT "AB" Standards are retired.

The Myrtle Avenue El closes (the old "Q" cars were the last wooden cars in regular service anywhere in the country)

The remaining cars of the R-42 order enter service.

Also, in 1969, it was still possible (for a while, at least) to ride Old Looks and MACKS in New York.

Steam ferries sill plied the waters of the Harbor between Whitehall Street and St. George (along with the three 1965 "KENNEDY" Class diesels)

These steam ferries were of the early 1950's "MERRELL" Class, and the late 1930's "MISS NEW YORK" Class.

The SIRT was still a subsidiary of the B&O, and was still operating its original ME-1's between St. George and Tottenville.

Both the Bowling Green and Culver shuttles were also then still in operation.

On the LIRR, the new "M-1" ("Metropolitans") were replacing the last of the venerable old MP-54 MU's........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll happen in the spring. Sad
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

That'll happen in the spring. Sad

I was wondering when the R-32's would last to...
So they will fall short of being the longest lived NY subway cars...1964 to 2020.
56 years. The BMT Q's lasted an incredible 66 yeats, when retired in 1969. So the two types overlapped five years in service, but still...just two generations of subway cars spanned 117 years!

And speaking of "last trips"...I was aboard the last Myrtle Avenue Local using the Q Cars in 1969. There were serious "foamer's" on that one...at the end of the ride, they literally ripped the leather straps down for souvenirs, in full view of TA cops aboard, who just rolled their eyes, and looked the other way... Laughing
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

We cannot forget the old IRT Hi-V's, either, when talking of subway car longevity.

Many lasted well into the 1950's, and some were over 50 years old when they were were finally retired by new SMEE equipment.

The old H&M (PATH) "Black" cars lasted until late 1965 in service; the oldest were the Class "B" cars, which dated back to the opening of the downtown tubes (to Hudson Terminal) in 1909, lasting 56 years in service.

Look at the old wooden "El" cars; many were built in the 1880's to be hauled by Forneys, and, after electrification in the early 1900's, kept on running for decades, some lasting into the 1950's (the BMT units were especially long-lived!)

Also in 1969, the last prewar IRT cars (which included some of the 1938 WF cars) were retired from service on the Bronx 3rd Avenue El, thus closing out the era of prewar IRT equipment.

How rich and diverse the transit hobby was, back in the day....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about those Budd built R-32's is...they could probably live on another ten or twenty years with minimum maintenance.... Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
The thing about those Budd built R-32's is...they could probably live on another ten or twenty years with minimum maintenance.... Cool

traildriver:

Agreed, 100%! Very Happy

IMHO, I think that, when these venerable old cars are retired, these cars will get even more media coverage and "fan coverage" than the now-retired R-42's; and, when they vanish from the revenue rails, railfan windows will be extinct on the subways. Sad

IMHO, the cars looked their best in their original configuration, with those sharp-looking blue doors and end bulkhead roller curtains (I NEVER liked the "new, improved" miniscule electronic route sign that replaced those huge, easy-to-read roller signs)

I hope that the Museum will restore at least one set of 32's to the original, 1964 appearance...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1977 was the last year of revenue service for the remaining prewar IND cars*.

This photo at Stillwell Avenue (of course, Fishbowls were VERY plentiful back then!) truly is a time warp.

Also, on the left, note the old steel line pole that, for decades, carried wire for the streetcars.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1789

*Last time I rode these venerable old relics was on the rush-hour "CC", back in 1975.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: