BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transit Musem to close?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Transit Musem to close? Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I just heard of this disturbing news from another transit forum; it seems that the Transit Museum at the former IND Court St. station might be closed as part of an MTA "re-organization".

I cringe to think of what might happen to the historic rolling stock on display there, not to mention the many hundreds of rare and priceless transit artifacts that have been on display there for decades.

Back in the early 80's, I visited this wonderful museum almost every weekend (and NEVER left empty handed!), and, in looking back, never even dreamed that the Museum could be shut down one day.

Funny, the MTA always seems to have unlimited funds which allow the grossly overpaid corporate honchos to stuff their already-bulging wallets, while the city's subways and bus networks flounder.

Of course, I am also wondering how this will affect the Museum Bus Fleet, should the Museum close.

I indeed hope that the Museum can remain open somehow; to lose it will be yet another reminder of just how little the City regards its rich and diverse history.

Excuse me, now, I have to let my blood pressure come down a bit......... Mad Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transit Musem to close? Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Gentlemen:

I just heard of this disturbing news from another transit forum; it seems that the Transit Museum at the former IND Court St. station might be closed as part of an MTA "re-organization".

I cringe to think of what might happen to the historic rolling stock on display there, not to mention the many hundreds of rare and priceless transit artifacts that have been on display there for decades.

Back in the early 80's, I visited this wonderful museum almost every weekend (and NEVER left empty handed!), and, in looking back, never even dreamed that the Museum could be shut down one day.

Funny, the MTA always seems to have unlimited funds which allow the grossly overpaid corporate honchos to stuff their already-bulging wallets, while the city's subways and bus networks flounder.

Of course, I am also wondering how this will affect the Museum Bus Fleet, should the Museum close.

I indeed hope that the Museum can remain open somehow; to lose it will be yet another reminder of just how little the City regards its rich and diverse history.

Excuse me, now, I have to let my blood pressure come down a bit......... Mad Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad

Interesting that this proposal should be floated after the retirement of the RTS' . . . after all, the saying goes, all the "museum" buses are diesel fuel, and they've moved on from that . . . sheesh! Rolling Eyes

But this isn't the first time. The Museum was slated for closure in early 1991 until it got spared the ax. I have a few copies of New York Newsday articles from "the time" about that.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I had forgotten about that 1991 closure threat; thanks for the reminder.

It's a good point you brought up about the Museum Buses being diesel-fueled.

Good Lord, we simply CANNOT have those diesel-guzzling dinosaurs fouling up the pure, sweet, refreshing, invigorating New York air, even it's only for a few days each year........ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

All kidding aside, let's hope saner voices are heard....and, more importantly, listened to........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the possible closing of the Transit Museum (may it NEVER come to pass!!) Sad Crying or Very sad

If anyone here hears more news on this subject, especially regarding the Museum Buses, please keep us posted....thanks! Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: