BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triboro Coach - Before and After

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Triboro Coach - Before and After Reply with quote

Here are views of Triboro's ACF 45-S transit bus as delivered and after their in house "rebuilding".

Note the addition of the GM Thermo-matic roof mounted grill with Michigan marker lights as well as the GM emblem and wings and headlights and wide chrome bumpers.

I wonder what GM's take was on these ACF buses with GM nameplates.

The windshield frame was from the ACF-Brill C-44 bus model.

The radiator filler cap was kept under the wings.

IMG_8127 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.82 KB
 Viewed:  9000 Time(s)

IMG_8127 (2).JPG

IMG_8128 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.69 KB
 Viewed:  9000 Time(s)

IMG_8128 (2).JPG

Last edited by MaBSTOA 15 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some unknown reason, the ACF 45-S also came with a two piece front destination sign.

When the bus was rebuilt, the same configuration was kept.

IMG_8129 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  206.89 KB
 Viewed:  8999 Time(s)

IMG_8129 (2).JPG

IMG_8130 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.98 KB
 Viewed:  8999 Time(s)

IMG_8130 (2).JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"IN-FREAKIN'-CREDIBLE!!" (Kid Sally Palumbo [the late, great Jerry Orbach], from the 1971 set-and-shot-in-New York City Mafia comedy, "THE GANG THAT COULDN'T SHOOT STRAIGHT") Shocked Shocked

NEVER saw these photos before.....AWESOME!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

I was greatly reminded of the ACF-BRILL C-44 suburbans I grew up with, back in the 60's, then rostered by DE CAMP and INTER-CITY; oddly, C-44 transits were not operated by any of the operators in my area, so I only knew the suburban models rostered by the two aforementioned companies.

Again, THANK YOU for sharing these rare photos (I guess these buses could have been classified as "full-scale kitbash jobs")......... Wink

"NYO
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triboro bought 16 ex-Greyhound World's Fair TDH-5303 in 1966. These were the first Triboro buses with air conditioning. Fleet numbers 931-946.

Once in Triboro hands, the buses were re-configured, somewhat, to Triboro standards. That meant...

a) Grant fare boxes
b) Curved driver stanchion (NY requirement, however, Greyhound did not have this stanchion)
c) Two part destination sign
d) Dashboard mounted transfer tray (box shape)
e) Exterior repainting.

Later on, these buses were repainted into a red and light cream scheme (I still would like to know why the brown russet color was changed to this ugly red!) Ad racks were added and a folding door mounted exterior rear view mirror was added as was a windshield washer.

When they were "new" at Triboro and before they got the ad racks, you could see the faint outline of the "dog" on the aluminum siding.

Interior wise, they kept their Greyhound color scheme, directional signal lever mounted on the steering column, National Seating seats, and melamine panels between the windows. They also had jack-knife rear doors and air operated parking brakes in a floor mounted column to the right of the driver.

Note the fuel door mounted behind the front axle rather than the standard placement between the rear door and rear axle.

BTW, Greyhound #206 along with 237 was purchased by Steinway Transit, the only other New York area operator who purchased these ex-Greyhound buses.

These Triboro Coach buses were my favorite!

206 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.36 KB
 Viewed:  8990 Time(s)

206 (2).jpg

IMG_8126 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.21 KB
 Viewed:  8990 Time(s)

IMG_8126 (2).JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.............after seeing these great pictures, I am (again) quite lucky to have a tin friction GREYHOUND Fishbowl (Mom purchased this for me while we were at the Fair) and a CORGI replica in my collection today.

As usual, GREAT info and GREAT photos.....thanks for sharing with us here..... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: