BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St. George bus platforms, etc.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

As a really little guy, I remember riding the NHBL #1 to Journal Square from our corner in Union City; there, we would transfer to a SHBL local, and then ride all the way down the ("Hudson", now "Kennedy") Boulevard to the end of the line in Bayonne.

The old wooden ferry house for the Port Richmond ferry was located next to the old Uncle Milty's Amusement Park, which was a popular local amusement area at that time; this once-popular amusement park, which dated back to the trolley era, has now been gone for decades.

Though I was quite young, I remember walking with Mom to an old-fashioned ice-cream parlor at Port Richmond, before we took the ferry back to Bayonne.

Too, I also remember there was also a large red electric arrow near the Port Richmond slip, that directed vehicles to the boats; I took a photo of that same arrow (the lettering had long since vanished by that time) back in the summer of 1985, as well as what remained of the slip itself.

That same day, a transit buddy of mine and Your's Truly hiked the old SIRT North Shore (Arlington) line from St. George to Arlington and back to Port Richmond; there, we boarded a MTA bus back to the terminal (I think it was a Flex New Look but cannot remember exactly)

Back in the early/mid-1960's, Mom and I made many, many SIRT day trip excursions; we also would take the bus on some trips from the terminal to South Beach (I always remember MACKS); Mom remembered, as a girl, riding the SIRT electrics to South Beach with her family.

After the Perth Amboy ferry shut down in late 1963, the "IRVINGTON" and the "PIERMOINT" were both sold, and ended up out in Greenport, Long Island.

I would assume that both boats are long, long gone; hard to believe that crossing has now been gone for nearly 56 years........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staten Island by way of Pontiac, Michigan...

The attached photo shows a Board of Transportation, un-numbered, TDH-5101 going through the water test at the factory. In fact the actual caption reads:

"Water test, employing both fine spray and volume from every angle, enable workmen to be sure finished coach is water tight"

Note the destination sign: 112 Victory Blvd.: New York Ferry
As well as the run number box in the lower left windshield

This photo comes from the GM produced brochure, " Building General Motors Coaches" This brochure contains photos and captions of the massive plant; engineering talent and tools; transit coach production (mixture of 51 and 45 series buses under construction); intercity coach production (PD-4104); quality control; GM diesel engine; early models; current models; sales, service, and parts department and delivery.

Although produced during the air suspension periods, several photos show spring suspension buses such as the TDH-5101.

GM also produced the same type of brochure during the new look and RTS eras.

IMG_E7880 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.83 KB
 Viewed:  15946 Time(s)

IMG_E7880 (2).JPG

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

GIVE THE MAN A CIGAR......YET ANOTHER WINNER!! Very Happy Very Happy

(thanks for posting this!) Wink

In "OLD LOOK BUSES" (Luke/Metler, 2010), there is a GM promo photo (page #104, headed "DIESEL EXPERIENCE BRINGS REPEAT ORDER") showing two new Old Looks (no standee windows, single door) that were being delivered to "BOULEVARD TRANSIT LINES" of Bayonne.

The front sign on the lead bus (#73) reads "STATEN ISLAND", while the side sign box reads "FEDERAL SHIPYARD" (this long-gone, once-bustling shipyard was located in Kearny, and was home to many decommissioned WW2 Liberty ships awaiting the cutting torch, back in the 1960's)

Prior to the Aldene Plan of April, 1967, the CNJ (Jersey Central) also operated several rush hour trains to "FEDERAL".......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier in this thread/discussion, we've mentioned the bus "control tower" at the St. George terminal; check out this bus "control tower" at the Victoria Bus Station in London, back in 1947 (clearly, a "control tower" was MORE than needed at this bustling location!!) Shocked Shocked

The harried blokes up in the tower more than earned their paychecks, especially during rush hours! Shocked

http://www.busesonscreen.net/screenim59/movingm03.jpg

(courtesy: busesonscreen.net)
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at St. George Terminal last Wednesday.
I didn't see a control tower but the bus lanes were very busy with Orion VII NG HEVs, Orion VII 3G diesels and Nova LFSs.
A new shopping mall is being constructed between the ferry terminal and the Richmond County Ballpark. I heard on Newsradio 88 yesterday that "Empire Outlets" will be opening this week.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case there is a misunderstanding about the location of the dispatchers tower or "control tower" at St. George:
It is not placed at the south end of the platforms where the buses leave. Google Street View shows a two-story octagonal building at the head of Ramp A, with windows in all directions. That is, all arriving buses would pass it, and it would be on the driver's side of buses going to Ramps B, C, and D. I presume there was a decent view of ferries arriving from Manhattan and Brooklyn, as there was an attempt to coordinate bus departures with arriving ferries. My experience catching the R102 there is from the 1960's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

Appreciate the additional info! Wink

In the book "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY" (1964), by George W. Hilton, there is a great panoramic view (circa-early 60's) showing the terminal at St. George (page #54)

A "MISS NEW YORK" class ferry is about to dock at the terminal, while a "DONGAN HILLS"-class boat is awaiting departure in an adjacent slip.

Another "MISS NEW YORK" class boat rests in one of the west lay-up slips; a 69th St. boat is just visible, off to the right.

Though fifteen buses are on hand, the photo appears to be an "off hour" view; what makes this photo unusual is that there is not one auto or truck in this view, either waiting to board the ferries to Manhattan and Brooklyn, or debarking.

The "control tower" (has it been removed?) is clearly visible, located at the head of the first platform that the buses would have encountered upon entering the terminal complex.

As you correctly noted, the tower not only had an unobstructed view of the buses, but also, of the arriving ferries......

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for inquiring whether the tower is still there. I went back to The Google Street View photo of the tower and looked at the date: 2007. It proves nothing about 2019.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Thanks for inquiring whether the tower is still there. I went back to The Google Street View photo of the tower and looked at the date: 2007. It proves nothing about 2019.

Joe:

It would not surprise me at all if we learn that the tower is no longer there; still, it would seem that, even today in 2019, it would still be able to be used for some sort of bus operations capacity.

Even if the tower had lost its original purpose, one would hope that it had, at least, been "re-purposed" for some other use.

I well remember seeing that tower over the years, from my 1960's childhood, and well into adulthood.

As I had mentioned earlier here, I have not been at the terminal since the Fall of 1997; I know much has changed in the past 22 years......

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS' and Flxible "New Looks" coming out of the Staten Island Terminal

si terminal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.43 KB
 Viewed:  14582 Time(s)

si terminal.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TALK ABOUT NOSTALGIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Not only do the Flex New Looks and RTS's date this great old photo, but, also, those HUGE "Dee-Troit" gas guzzlers!!!!! Shocked

This action-packed photo would date back to when the "BARBERI" and the "NEWHOUSE" were the newest ferries in the Staten Island fleet (they are now approaching their 40th birthdays!) Shocked Shocked

Sad to think that those classic buses and big autos were turned into scrap, long ago........

Man, to go back in time, even to the 80's! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down page for a rare (1951) photo showing the entrance doorways to bus Platform 2 at the St. George Terminal.

Note the bus routes listed on the illuminated platform indicator.

Back in the 1960's, this is what Your's Truly well remembers! Wink

The ferry photos on this page are sure to bring back fond memories to those of us, like myself, who, long ago, either spent many leisure hours aboard the boats just for the fun of it, and those who might have lived in Staten Island....enjoy! Wink

https://www.silive.com/entertainment/2021/04/remember-when-cars-were-allowed-on-the-staten-island-ferry-18-vintage-photos-of-the-iconic-boat.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was VERY lucky to come across this EXCELLENT nostalgic page full of vintage Staten Island bus photos (some dating back to 1933!); Old Looks, MACKS, Fishbowls, "Dangerfields" and more....... Wink

Many old photos showing Staten Island buses battling floods, blizzards, etc., are here as well; also a number of garage photos and interior photos as an added bonus....enjoy!

https://mhks.org/from-ferry-to-tottenville-staten-island-bus-lines-past-and-present/
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Domenico Bus didn't do too badly, especially during transit strikes . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

DOMENICO....yet another once-commonplace "fallen flag".

The one photo on that page from 1951, showing the bus platform indicator at St. George, had me thinking how many of those routes still operate today, and what "re-structuring" took place in the 70-odd years since that photo was taken.

Back in the earlymid-60's, what route served South Beach?

I can remember being quite a young lad back then, when Mom and I took a short hop to South Beach' MACKS always come to mind.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: