BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What we need on New York's bus history
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also unrelated . . . also crying out for a close examination in a book is the history of New York City television in a manner similar to books already out about TV in such cities as Chicago and Cleveland and some smaller cities. So it's not just the last six years of FACL and the early years of MaBSTOA and their fleets that warrant comprehensive books.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Also unrelated . . . also crying out for a close examination in a book is the history of New York City television in a manner similar to books already out about TV in such cities as Chicago and Cleveland and some smaller cities. So it's not just the last six years of FACL and the early years of MaBSTOA and their fleets that warrant comprehensive books.

I agree 100%!

Too, detailed histories of television in New York could also include photos of the buses ("mobile studios") used by the early TV stations; I have two 1950's-era tin "TV buses" in my collection.

Also, New York histories I'd like to see published:

Electric lighting

The water/sewer system (calling Ed Norton!)

Department stores

Elevators/escalators ("moving stairs" in Great Britain); think about it.....our modern skyscrapers would not have been possible had it not been for the elevators (Is that correct, Mr. Otis?) Wink

Years ago, there was an excellent page on the 'net, dedicated (in DETAIL) about the history of electric lighting in St. Patrick's Cathedral; man, this was really interesting!

Sadly, this page vanished long ago. Sad

Also, a book on the history of the Sanitation department; so much of tremendous interest here, including horse and wagons, trucks, garbage scows, incinerators, ans, of course, the men themselves, who have toiled throughout the decades.

Also, detailed histories on the NYPD and NFYD (I do have one small book on NYFD history, but I feel, another, much larger volume is needed on New York's true heroes)

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth........

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Arcadia Publishing site.

A lot of New York City area history.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now on eBay a few slides for sale from 'VintageVault75' that belong in a book on Fifth Avenue Coach Lines' last years, all New Looks:
- A/C #10, clearly marked 'Fifth Avenue Coach Lines Inc.', plying the 1 - 4th & Madison Avenues route c.1960 (it must've been relettered Surface Transit Inc. afterwards).
- #3143, around 100th(?) Street depot with some of the last buses ordered for NYCO (3083 and 3087) plus one of the '58-'59 Old Looks; the front changes the NYCO #2's description to "Park Ave So & Madison Ave."
- A pic of #100 (the Flxible demo bus) with FACO #4 markings, indicating to Penn Station.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Here is the picture of the lone Fifth Avenue Coach Flxible/Twin Coach demo, number 100 on route 11 to Abingdon Square.

From what I could see, that would actually be route 10 that also went there. That looks like the area around Frederick Douglass Circle and the northwesternmost end of Central Park.
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a concise history of NYC electric power generation and distribution, check out this paperback by Joe Cunningham:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=new+york+power+joseph+cunningham&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss
For a very good history about railway and transit power stations, check out this link:
https://ethw.org/The_Railway_Power_Stations_of_New_York_City
Here is a link to a website dedicated to documenting the history of NYC radio:
https://www.nyradioarchive.com/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
For a concise history of NYC electric power generation and distribution, check out this paperback by Joe Cunningham:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=new+york+power+joseph+cunningham&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss
For a very good history about railway and transit power stations, check out this link:
https://ethw.org/The_Railway_Power_Stations_of_New_York_City
Here is a link to a website dedicated to documenting the history of NYC radio:
https://www.nyradioarchive.com/

Thanks for providing these links; regarding transit power stations, IMHO, a copy of Christopher Paye's, excellent, and outstanding photo documentery, "NEW YORK'S FORGOTTEN SUBSTATIONS: THE POWER BEHIND THE SUBWAYS". is a MUST for anyone with even a mild interest in the subways.

To see photos of these hulking, massive, monolithic machines that once powered the subways sitting silent, rusting, and decaying, as they await scrapping, is truly a haunting experience, to say the least.

Hard to believe that it was really not all that long ago that these huge rotary converters and transformers were being used to move millions underground.

To me, the more high-tech and "Star Wars" a transit system becomes, we lose more and still more links to a past that can never be brought back.

Today's electronic signalling and power distribution simply leaves me cold; one could only imagine the sense of awe that must have been felt when those massive rotary converters were still alive and humming with power, and towering proudly above the lowly heads of mere mortals, like some great mythological behemoths from another age.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To date, not one book (AFAIK) has ever been put out detailing a photographic history of the PABT.

A book detailing the PABT's rich history has sorely been desired by not a few bus historians, Your's Truly included.

And, outside of bus historians, who would even recall the old "ALL-AMERICAN" terminal, near the site of today's PABT?

I was very fortunate to come across this very rare view of a rush hour scene at the old "ALL-AMERICAN" terminal, dating to the 1940's (note the prewar and postwar PS buses on hand in this bustling scene; an AEROCOACH can also be seen in the background, as well as an "AUTOMAT" sign.......

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/505106914452180984/

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this AWESOME rare color photo from the 1940's, showing various PS buses at the old "ALL-AMERICAN" bus terminal (note the different paint schemes!)

Note, also, the huge and prominent painted sign, which also touts "QUAKER CITY BUS CO."

What a "museum fleet" those buses would make today! Wink

https://www.fotosearch.com/clt011/kr132201
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More "Noo Yawk" long-haul bus nostalgia*..... Wink

https://www.drivingfordeco.com/vanished-new-york-city-art-deco-the-pennsylvania-capitol-greyhound-terminals/

*Many rare interior terminal photos, as well as artist's renditions of designs for the new "UNION BUS TERMINAL" (PABT)

Also, note ad announcing GREYHOUND's moving into the PABT....... Very Happy
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
To date, not one book (AFAIK) has ever been put out detailing a photographic history of the PABT.

A book detailing the PABT's rich history has sorely been desired by not a few bus historians, Your's Truly included.

"NYO"

I too would buy one if published, but...there simply isn't enough interest in the subject to make it commercially viable. It could only be done by an author willing to finance it just for their own enjoyment, with no hope of getting a return on their investment...

I have heard that the Port Authority has a photo history in their proprietory archives, but apparently they do not wish to publish it, either...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Agreed; there would not be much damage for such a book (outside of bus historians/New York historians), but I know I have seen a number of pictures online that indeed would be fantastic if published in book form.

One outstanding photo my niece found for me awhile back shows an evening rush hour at the PABT in progress, not long after it opened in 1950, with several ORANGE & BLACK Macks (and some ACF-BRILLS of another company) dominating the crowded suburban platform area..... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
More "Noo Yawk" long-haul bus nostalgia*..... Wink

https://www.drivingfordeco.com/vanished-new-york-city-art-deco-the-pennsylvania-capitol-greyhound-terminals/

*Many rare interior terminal photos, as well as artist's renditions of designs for the new "UNION BUS TERMINAL" (PABT)

Also, note ad announcing GREYHOUND's moving into the PABT....... Very Happy

That's about as good as it gets, as far as info on the two former NY GL terminals. I don't recall GL using the "Midtown Bus Terminal" on 43rd Street, but perhaps they did at some time in the past...

Also note the reply to the mistaken observation about the GL regional offices on 8th and 40th....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: