BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New York "bit players" we tend to ignore......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
..........then, too, the MTA has had to deal with "scratchitti", more recently....... Sad

Seems a lot of this "new age" vandalism seems to focus more on the subway than the buses; the defacement of transit vehicles by misguided young "artists" never ceases to get my blood pressure up...... Twisted Evil

Same here. Even more disgusting is that all that is encouraged by certain politicians and certain persons in the media.

W.B.:

Agreed 100%; you are "spot on".

I remember, back in the 70's and into the 80's, when you had certain pols that, basically, thought graffiti was simply "artwork", an 'expression" of art by frustrated young urban artists." Sad

"Art" my foot.....was/is VANDALISM....that's all it ever was.

Recall, too, that many "budding artists" used to steal MTA "master keys (and to sell/duplicate) to allow the access into parked trains in the yards.

Many years ago, I was given a copy of "SUBWAY ART" (Cooper/Chalfant) by a co-worker who knew I was into subways/buses.

The only reason I like the book is that there are many photos of the old SMEE trains I knew, loved, and rode on countless times.

In the photos, these "artists" look happy, carefree, defiant, and tough.

It is obvious most paint was pilfered.

One photo shows #8571, bearing the defiant message on its side:

"TO THE BOYS IN BLUE-CATCH ME IF YOU CAN."

On another defaced SMEE: "CAUGHT YA SLEEPIN' MTA-HA HA!"

It was that same blatant defiance that helped bring the system down into the depths of lawlessness.

Another photo shows a carefree "youth" happily skipping along the roofs of a parked train of battle-scarred R-10's.

There is one bus seen in these photos; "Dangerfield" #7738 (with blank ad panel over the a/c), somewhere up in Da Bronx, with an IRT train (festooned with colorful "art") passing overhead (impossible to pinpoint location or even the route of the train, as all signs are totally covered over in paint)

IMHO, the photographers were also guilty, as they not only more or less made these vandals into local (and talented) "heroes", expressing themselves, but, also, showing the in the act, defiantly spaying paint on the trains and station walls.

As I have said before, I still miss those old trains, but NOT the graffiti....it truly was a sign that everything was out of control, and the "boys in blue" truly were fighting a losing battle.

Sad........
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........I still remember clearly riding on an R12/14 on a downtown 7th Avenue IRT express one morning on my way to work (about 1981), and feeling disgusted that not only were all the windows painted over, but also, virtually all of the covering for the florescent tubes.

At 14th St., I got out of the car, and boarded an R-15 in the same consist (at least the lights weren't scrawled over)

Still amazes me how totally out-of-control the graffiti epidemic was; sadly, the police (NYPD/Transit Police) were almost ineffective against the tidal wave of vandalism that then plagued the subways....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier, we'd been discussing the late, great, TWA.

I came across this old photo last evening, showing a dapper NASA tour bus driver, standing alongside his trusty GMC.

Note the "TWA" insignia on the bus.........

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/425730971001548770
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo seen in the previous link made me recall a souvenier booklet a friend had given me several years back, from the JOHN F. KENNEDY SPACE CENTER (late 1960's)

On the cover is a Fishbowl, with "NASA TOURS OPERATED BY TWA" emblazoned across the lower dash.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a brief period, TWA owned a subsidiary company, called TWA services, which ran several hotel and tour operations around US national parks, many of which were started by railroads. The current descendant company is called Xanterra, I believe. Not sure if they still have the NASA franchise...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
For a brief period, TWA owned a subsidiary company, called TWA services, which ran several hotel and tour operations around US national parks, many of which were started by railroads. The current descendant company is called Xanterra, I believe. Not sure if they still have the NASA franchise...

traildriver:

Appreciate the info.

When I came across the picture whose link I posted I was surprised, as the one photo I had seen (on the cover of my old souvenier booklet) shows a Fishbowl.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took the NASA tour, in the seventies, they were running those huge Neoplan double decked, four axle (2 front!), Skyliner’s….😎
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 49 feet long, they were the longest non-articulated buses I’ve ever been on. About the only things bigger, were those airport mobile lounges🙂
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
When I took the NASA tour, in the seventies, they were running those huge Neoplan double decked, four axle (2 front!), Skyliner’s….😎

traildriver:

from "THE BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES" (Stauss, 1988):

"....although it is sold primarily in Europe, 14 are in service at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida......."

Imagine GREYHOUND operating these behemoths(!!) Shocked Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEOPLAN Skyliner, non-articulated.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoplan_Skyliner
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoplan_Jumbocruiser
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More "bit players" in "Noo Yawk", once upon a yesterday.......

Manhole covers manufactured by a US foundry

Relay boxes on traffic signals (you could hear the mechanical innards at work, when the lights changed!)

Blue and white metal "PUBLIC TELEPHONE" signs

Corner drugstores(w/ soda fountains!)

A "NEDICKS" on virtually every block, and, also, in many subway stations

The word "PLEASE" on subway car doors (PLEASE DO NOT LEAN ON DOORS"/PLEASE KEEP HANDS OFF DOORS").....this was from way back when the word "PLEASE" was STILL in common usage!

Cast-iron police/fire alarm boxes on street corners, surmounted by an illuminated globe.

It's all so long ago, now......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an imcdb.org (vehicle) page for the 1968 Doris Day comedy, "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT?", taking place during the November, 1965 East Coast blackout.

https://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=63801

Bus-wise, note the photo of Miss Day, after she just debarked from a 4104; "Times Square Spectacular"-wise, note the photo showing the clock displaying:

"IT'S NOW 5:26:59:9"

(classic Times Square signs like this REALLY bring back memories for Your's Truly!)

Also, note the one photo showing a classic "DON'T WALK" sign.

A train of prewar IND cars (in a tunnel; probably at Court St.) is also seen in one photo........
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
This is an imcdb.org (vehicle) page for the 1968 Doris Day comedy, "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT?", taking place during the November, 1965 East Coast blackout.

https://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=63801

Bus-wise, note the photo of Miss Day, after she just debarked from a 4104; "Times Square Spectacular"-wise, note the photo showing the clock displaying:

"IT'S NOW 5:26:59:9"

(classic Times Square signs like this REALLY bring back memories for Your's Truly!)
Also, note the one photo showing a classic "DON'T WALK" sign.

A train of prewar IND cars (in a tunnel; probably at Court St.) is also seen in one photo........

The Desert Inn sign atop the Bulova EPOK and clock gives away the year of filming as 1967, for sure (at the time of the 1965 blackout, BOAC was still advertising at that spot). However, the particular 'WALK' / 'DONT WALK' sign shown, I don't remember it ever used in 'Noo Yawk'.

One other film I know of spotlighted that Bulova EPOK and clock to the hilt: the 1973 film version of the musical Godspell.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As usual, good detective work! Wink

Indeed, the Times Square of 1965 would, by the following decade, have vanished, replaced with what wouldbe known as the "Sleaze Pit Of The World".

Sadly, think how "innocent" the City of "Noo Yawk" still was in 1965, when the Blackout hit; 12 years later, in 1977 the blackout was cause for mass rioting and looting, especially in Brooklyn. Sad

Take notice on the imcdb.org page, how many vehicles used were models that came out AFTER 1965 (I guess the producers figured that the audience would not know, nor even care if they did.

I wonder if the "ASSOCIATED CHARTER BUS COMPANY" (note the pic of the 4104) was an actual company, or, simply a fictitious one, used for the movie? (I remember with no trains running out of GCT, Miss Day found a bus that was going up to, I believe, Westchester)........

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 41 of 60

Jump to: