BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New York "bit players" we tend to ignore......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaGuardia, circa-early 1950's.

Note in this nostalgic view the number of CAREY Flexies in the photo; also, the lone Old Look (at center).......

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/50524827047644004/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scroll down page for a photo of a MERCEDES airport bus (snapped at NY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT) circa-1960 (also, look for a 4104)...........

https://www.aeropuertosarg.com.ar/losforos/index.php?topic=22912.20
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A spectacular color view of Idelwild (JFK), early 1960's.

Note the MERCEDES airport bus and the CAREY 4104; also, note bus at far right,

The spectacular, colorful mural is reminiscent to the one that, for decades, could be viewed from the parking lot for ALEXANDER'S, in Paramus (NJ)........

https://www.irememberjfk.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/jfk.jpg

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Note the MERCEDES airport bus and the CAREY 4104 (newest auto in the photo is the 1960 FORD station wagon)

The spectacular, colorful mural is reminiscent to the one that, for decades, could be viewed from the parking lot for ALEXANDER'S, in Paramus (NJ)........

Had to correct the link . . . one letter missing . . . but indeed, very nice . . .

I was only to JFK four times in my life . . . twice going to London, twice coming back from London, all to research who was who on The Benny Hill Show. As you can guess, I was to the British Airways terminal. The first trip was when there was still a JFK Express with connecting bus to and from the airport. The second . . . let's say post-"Train to [the Bus to] the Plane."

Last edited by W.B. Fishbowl on Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

Note the MERCEDES airport bus and the CAREY 4104 (newest auto in the photo is the 1960 FORD station wagon)

Had to correct the link . . . one letter missing . . . but indeed, very nice . . .

W.B.:

I just corrected that link..... Wink

Any clue(s) as to what company operated the MERCEDES bus, and the older bus on the far right?

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just corrected that link..... Wink

Any clue(s) as to what company operated the MERCEDES bus, and the older bus on the far right?

Can't say for sure, unfortunately; my own trips to JFK were in 1989 and 1990, when both types of vehicles would have long before been retired.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Though my family made many jaunts out to the old (1953) Newark Airport, I was only out at JFK once (July, 1966) when the family was seeing my brother and his new bride off on their honeymoon to Bermuda (via PAN AM)

My new sister-in-law's mother gone to Woolworth's the previous day, and bought me a dozen or so little tin friction airliners (probably coast about 19 cents each!)

She gave me these when we got into my sister-in-law's brother's red 1960 Pontiac; the little tin planes were for TWA, EASTERN, UNITED, and PAN AM (I still have every one of them, proudly displayed in my commercial aviation collection!) Wink

I remember seeing a number of 4104's and 4106's at JFK that day; also, I remember seeing a few Flexies.

For some reason, PAN AM and BRANIFF jets still stick out in my memory, to this day.........had no idea I was witnessing aviation history at the time.

I also remember seeing a lot of 707's and DC-8's that day.........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY AIRWAYS memories......

https://www.aerotime.aero/upload/files/new_york_airways_helicopter_service.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few photos of interest on this foreign language-page.....

https://kiwitaxi.ru/blog/kak-dobratsya/aeroport-kennedi-nyu-jork/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"196 FLIGHTS IN 21 DAYS" (1966)

I was VERY lucky to come upon this collection of STUNNING vintage (1966-era) color airline photos; also, in photos 3 and 4, note the CAREY 4104 and the NY AIRWAYS* bus.

Note, also, interior shots of the stunning TWA terminal and concourse.

There are also a number of vintage photos showing "Noo Yawk" from the air (man, how much has changed since those days!) as well as some rare NY AIRWAYS photos, as well as classic jts and props.....Happy Landings! Wink

www.dhc-2.com/Stateside_66.html

*One NY AIRWAYS photo even has an E-L tugboat nudging a loaded car float, in the background! Very Happy
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't just with the buses and, now, subway trains where changes were all afoot since then. Air travel is a whole 'nother experience from those "glory days." (It is instructive that Delta Air Lines only took up the 43rd Street billboard on Times Square from 1972 to 1975 - three years - whereas TWA's stint there was from late 1955 to 1962. Even by the '70's, air travel became a bit different - a combo of highly-publicized skyjackings and all the aftereffects of the OPEC oil embargo which hit air travel badly. And Delta's ads weren't nearly as "wow" as TWA's.)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aerial view of LaGuardia with a large number of Carey Flxible Clippers is a great shot!

The old look in the photo belongs to Triboro Coach, route Q-33.

Regarding the Mercedes bus, I believe they were operated by Carey on behalf of the Port Authority/JFK Airport.

I visited both LaGuardia and JFK back in the 1960s for our personal trips as well as to see my Dad off on business trips and to drop off and pick my brother up from army furloughs.

My favorite was the TWA building.

For me, nothing beats New York in the 1960s!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
It isn't just with the buses and, now, subway trains where changes were all afoot since then. Air travel is a whole 'nother experience from those "glory days." (It is instructive that Delta Air Lines only took up the 43rd Street billboard on Times Square from 1972 to 1975 - three years - whereas TWA's stint there was from late 1955 to 1962. Even by the '70's, air travel became a bit different - a combo of highly-publicized skyjackings and all the aftereffects of the OPEC oil embargo which hit air travel badly. And Delta's ads weren't nearly as "wow" as TWA's.)

W.B.:

You speak volumes, my friend, and I agree 100%.

Recall, too, back in the 60's, it was still an era when most folks "dressed up" for air travel (the same for rail and bus travel)

Between the highjackings and oil embargo, changes were indeed "in the air" (pun intended!) for the airlines.

Recall, by the mid-70's, the airlines were retiring their sleek, but fuel-guzzling CONVAIR 880's (TWA flew a number of these)

Jetways replaced the old portable stairways, for the most part (these were time-honored in so many film of that era; recall, too, the stairs mounted on trucks)

The look of the stewardesses also changed, firt from the tailored "military" look of the 50's and early 60's, to the "mod" Nancy Sinatra-ish look of the late 60's/early 70's, and, then, to more (ho-hum) uniforms.

Of course, the "flight attendants" of today are of both sexes.

Remember, too, it was not until the now-retired 747 came along, that "wide-bodies" began to appear in numbers.

Outdoor observation decks, as the years went on, were closed, mostly due to security risks (the one I recall very clearly was the one at the old Newark Airport; that was a LOT of fun, back in the day, when you could still see old piston airliners side-by-side with the sleek new jets.

There were the "dime-in-a-slot" binoculars to better ssee the aircraft; some airports even had a box with headphones where you could actually hear the communications between pilots and tower men.

What an exciting, innocent era it was, way back then!

All forms of public transport, back then, still offered so much in the way of color and variety.

I flew commercially once in 1987 (round trip from Newark to Orlando, via EASTERN) going south aboard a 757 and returning to Newark on an L-1011 TriStar (of course, EAATERN is now a "fallen flag"

The old Newark Airport featured the popular "NEWARKER" restaurant, that featured huge windows where well-dressed diners could watch the planes load and unload practically right in your lap.

Everyone remembers the fellow that walked around the tables, with a small oven strapped to his chest, dispensing hot garlic bread.

It was always exciting to see the pilots in their smart uniforms and caps, walking through the concourse, looking like front-line military bras (or GREYHOUND or TRAILWAYS drivers!)

After the terrorist attacks of 9/11, once again the airlines took a big hit; and just look at how many hundreds of flights these days are being cancelled due to COVID, and the frequent incidents of unruly, violent passengers running amok on board.

No thank you, I prefer to stay at home and look at the old photos in my many airline books that recall the colorful, proud era of the airlines as they were, cruising the skies in a more safe and sane world.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
The aerial view of LaGuardia with a large number of Carey Flxible Clippers is a great shot!

The old look in the photo belongs to Triboro Coach, route Q-33.

Regarding the Mercedes bus, I believe they were operated by Carey on behalf of the Port Authority/JFK Airport.

I visited both LaGuardia and JFK back in the 1960s for our personal trips as well as to see my Dad off on business trips and to drop off and pick my brother up from army furloughs.

My favorite was the TWA building.

For me, nothing beats New York in the 1960s!

MabSTOA 15:

Agreed:

NOTHING beat "Noo Yawk" in the 60's, ESPECIALLY if you were a transportation buff; in the air, on the ground, and below the ground, "Noo Yawk" had it all!

Thanks for the info on the airport buses; yes, the TWA terminal, indeed, was a stunning creation right out of "The Jetsons", and, indeed, would have, indeed, made for a fine pavilion at the '64 World's Fair! Wink

Today, I've heard that the old TWA terminal (thankfully not razed in the name of "progress") is now a hotel, with a restored TWA Constellation parked alongside, used as a cocktail lounge (this plane made BIG news when it was being transported, in sections, through Times Square, several years back!)

I well remember TWA and EASTERN Connies in Newark, back in th 60's; TWA's were gone by 1967, while EASTERN's were replaced by L-188 prop-jet Electra's on the Shuttle, the following year.

As it was with the buses, we all took so much for granted.......

"NYO"

*Thanks, also, for the additional information on the old La Guardia photo I posted! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a detailed page (w/ a number of great photos) on the historic TWA Terminal at JFK; the original SOLARI board is still in place and has been restored!) Very Happy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_Center
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 27 of 60

Jump to: