BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New York "bit players" we tend to ignore......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though this photo is from Chicago, I wanted to post it here.

This is a still from the 1961 film, "A RAISIN IN THE SUN", starring the late (RIP), great Sidney Poitier.

Note the CTA Old Look and postwar TWIN in the background......

https://www.listal.com/viewimage/11597175
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Though this photo is from Chicago, I wanted to post it here.

This is a still from the 1961 film, "A RAISIN IN THE SUN", starring the late (RIP), great Sidney Poitier.

Note the CTA Old Look and postwar TWIN in the background......

https://www.listal.com/viewimage/11597175

That building with the Coca-Cola sign . . . which, B.T.W., was mounted atop the East Randolph Street side of 151 North Michigan Avenue - it always reminded me of the building at 1572-1576 Broadway on which 47th Street side many a "spectacular" billboard was mounted from the 1910's up to its demolition in 1991 (with a bit of the Studebaker Building one block north at 1600 Broadway). Especially since on the ground floor for years in the Chicago building was Randy's Restaurant - reminiscent of when, after Castro Convertibles moved out of the Times Square location sometime in the '80's, Sbarro's restaurant moved in.

The "jump clock" on that Coke ad dated to about 1953-54. It was on a 7 x 11 grid, and only told the time (the second lamp bank had no curvature on the lower left side that would have enabled the flashing of a '7' and, therefore, allowed the temperature to be shown in an alternating pattern with the time). It would carry on through 1969, after which the building was torn down. (The last pics taken of that had the "Things Go Better With Coke" slogan in Helvetica Medium, but did not survive the point where "It's the Real Thing" began showing up on Coke billboards including the one on 47th Street after the November 1969 overhaul which was ready in time for that year's Thanksgiving Day Parade.) From my calculations, the columns were spaced 10.5" apart, the rows 10". A 1955 ad from General Electric published in Signs of the Times magazine identified the bulbs used on that time display as PAR38's.

I once saw on Getty Images a photo at the bus stop next to this sign from 1950, taken at night - and they misidentified the location as Times Square! (Never mind that at that point 47th Street still had the Ruppert Beer billboard . . . and Coke was still at Columbus Circle with their "Thirst Knows No Season.")

There is a scale redrawing of that clock and an explanation of the whole schleboodle at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24498044@N03/51468280407/

Regardless of whether 6 x 9 or 7 x 11, I was always fond of the way the '7' was constructed. Only the time display atop the old Watchtower Building in Brooklyn (which now says 'WELCOME' below it) survives within the NYC metro; that on the ex-MONY building was ruined by add-ons whereby '7's' look like upside-down 'L's' (not unlike, getting back to what all this is about, the so-called "buses" of today that look either like robot caterpillars or overblown milk cartons).

Oh, and Mr. Poitier was not the only Hollywood figure to pass on yesterday. So did director Peter Bogdanovich. Anything of his that would have been bus-related?

Finally, up to 1952 New York and Chicago were joined at the hip, bus transportation wise . . . FACCo and NYCO were sisters of the Chicago Motor Coach Corp., all of which were owned by the Omnibus Corporation of Chicago. (1952 was the cutoff, as that year Omnibus sold all of CMC's routes to the CTA.)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nostalgic photo for me...I was stationed in Rantoul, Il. (Chanute AFB), in '66 and '67, and used to go up to Chicago often on weekends. I vividly recall the great variety of iconic signs both painted and electric, all over the Chicago skyline. Randolph Street was as close to "42nd Street" as you could get in Chicago... Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

MANY thanks for posting so much in-depth, highly-detailed information of these once-commonplace "spectacular" signs; you, indeed, are NOT only a sharp-eyed expert on deciphering vintage roll signs! Wink

In the excellent and exhaustive book, "CHICAGO SURFACE LINES: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY" (Alan R. Lind, 1974), there are, of course, many bus (and trolleybus) photos.

From the book:

".......the CHICAGO MOTOR COACH COMPANY, known as 'The Boulevard Route', was another CSL competitor. During the 1930's, the Company extended its bus lines over Northwest Side streets, in Chicago Railways territory....."

".......after prolonged litigation, CMC was ordered curtail its runs in that area. Chicago Railways then took over with Chicago's first trolley bus lines......."

Like "high faltun' 5th Avenue, the "Motor Coach" buses had Michigan Avenue all to themselves; no streetcars dared to run along it, nor did any subway run beneath its upper-class length.

The first double-deck (open top) double-deckers did not appear until 1917; the last 'Queen Mary"-types were retired in 1950, three years before the last of the "Noo Yawk" breed were retired in 1953.

CSL's first bus route began operation in 1927, between Harding and Laramie, as an extension of the Diversey streetcar line.

Interestingly, like the streetcars, CSL buses were owned by four underlying companies, including CALUMET & SOUTH CHICAGO RAILWAYS and CHICAGO CITY RAILWAYS.

Chicago was, for many years, a steadfast stronghold for WHITE and TWIN COACH; after the War, new GMC's began to appear, as well as ACF-BRILLS, and, of course, large numbers of postwar TWINS.

Recall, also, by the 1960's, large numbers of Flex New Looks were being delivered to the CTA.

CSL's largest postwar bus order was for nearly 200 WHITE 798's.

Also in 1946, both CHICAGO RAILWAYS and CALUMET & SOUTH CHICAGO both ordered a number of TD-4506's.

In the immediate postwar CSL fleet, MACK was indeed in the ultra-minority; only 17 Model C41GT's were added in 1947............

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the excellent and exhaustive book, "CHICAGO SURFACE LINES: AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY" (Alan R. Lind, 1974), there are, of course, many bus (and trolleybus) photos.

From the book:

".......the CHICAGO MOTOR COACH COMPANY, known as 'The Boulevard Route', was another CSL competitor. During the 1930's, the Company extended its bus lines over Northwest Side streets, in Chicago Railways territory....."

".......after prolonged litigation, CMC was ordered curtail its runs in that area. Chicago Railways then took over with Chicago's first trolley bus lines......."

Like "high faltun' 5th Avenue, the "Motor Coach" buses had Michigan Avenue all to themselves; no streetcars dared to run along it, nor did any subway run beneath its upper-class length.

The first double-deck (open top) double-deckers did not appear until 1917; the last 'Queen Mary"-types were retired in 1950, three years before the last of the "Noo Yawk" breed were retired in 1953.

Sounds almost like FACCo in their attempts to extend to the Bronx in 1924, only to be driven (ha-ha) out of town in 1928 after litigation (and Surface Transportation taking over the routes in question - today's Bx1 Concourse/138th Street and Bx2 Concourse Hub). Again, CMC and FACCo (and NYCO) shared common ownership in this period. And CMC's parent got out of Chicago two years before they sold FACCo and NYCO (and in one of those "Fish That Ate the Whale" scenarii, if you're familiar with Rich Cohen's book about the guy who ran United Fruit for years, NYCO in November 1954 then acquired FACCo whose routes would thereafter carry the "Fifth Avenue Coach Lines" legend - and by 1956 the whole enterprise would be renamed Fifth Avenue Coach Lines, Inc.).
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the link to that miscaptioned photo on Getty Images:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/coca-cola-advertisement-brightens-the-gloom-of-a-new-york-news-photo/52038013

How in tarnation can anyone confuse Chicago with "Noo Yawk"? Sounds like besides a map, they need glasses. Besides, by 1950 "Four Roses" was long gone from Times Square (its place atop the Studebaker Building on 48th Street and Broadway having been taken over in late 1947 by Chevrolet who would stay there through 1963). And again, Coca-Cola didn't return to 47th Street until December 1965; as of 1950 Pepsi was at that bottom spot on 47th, below Ruppert Beer (which left later that year; that ad spot wouldn't be filled until early 1952 when Admiral Television Appliances began a more than 13-year run there until, after about a month, Coke replaced it). None of Coke's "Noo Yawk" signs looked as that did.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Very nostalgic photo for me...I was stationed in Rantoul, Il. (Chanute AFB), in '66 and '67, and used to go up to Chicago often on weekends. I vividly recall the great variety of iconic signs both painted and electric, all over the Chicago skyline. Randolph Street was as close to "42nd Street" as you could get in Chicago... Cool

Would you characterize the Life zipper atop the Walgreens building at 151 North State (on the corner with East Randolph) as a sister, or at least a cousin, to the One Times Square zipper which at that time was also operated by Life - and which perforator/transmitter system was supplied by the same firm, Naxon Telesign? And would you or anyone know when that Chicago zipper was turned off? A shame the "Windy City" didn't have subsequent multiple uses for certain electronic elements the way "Noo Yawk" had - once its time was finished in Chicago, it was finished.

That Chicago zipper, meanwhile - the Smithsonian Institution website pertaining to Douglas Leigh's papers had a pic of that zipper misdated "1940-45." Were they by any chance confusing that building with the one on 42nd Street and 7th Avenue which, on the NW corner (the Rialto building), had a "zipper" of their own which flashed the news, that was sponsored by Coca-Cola, during WWII?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

The following is from the aforementioned book.....

".......in 1924, CMC merged with the Fifth Avenue Coach Company and the New York Transportation Company to form the Omnibus Corporation of America....."

".....in 1925, the City of Chicago filed for an injunction to prevent CMC from operating on city streets without a franchise, even though the bus firm had Illinois Commerce Commission approval. That same year, CSL filed a complaint with the Commission, claiming unfair competition by CMC in their application for route extensions into CSL territory on the Northwest side....."

".....in 1927, CMC President J. A. Ritchie offered to replace CSL's streetcars with more than 4,000 double-decker buses. His system would have served the entire city, and taken away CSL's franchise completely......"

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
And here's the link to that miscaptioned photo on Getty Images:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/coca-cola-advertisement-brightens-the-gloom-of-a-new-york-news-photo/52038013

How in tarnation can anyone confuse Chicago with "Noo Yawk"? Sounds like besides a map, they need glasses. Besides, by 1950 "Four Roses" was long gone from Times Square (its place atop the Studebaker Building on 48th Street and Broadway having been taken over in late 1947 by Chevrolet who would stay there through 1963). And again, Coca-Cola didn't return to 47th Street until December 1965; as of 1950 Pepsi was at that bottom spot on 47th, below Ruppert Beer (which left later that year; that ad spot wouldn't be filled until early 1952 when Admiral Television Appliances began a more than 13-year run there until, after about a month, Coke replaced it). None of Coke's "Noo Yawk" signs looked as that did.

W.B.:

Thanks for sharing this link; it never ceases to amaze me at just how geographically (and historically) ignorant some people are.

The "IMAGES OF RAIL" paperback series, while outstanding for their photo content, often have captions that are light years beyond insane.

One photo caption, in a book on Philly trolleys, states that the photo was taken from a hot air balloon in the 1920's.

Then WHY, I ask you, are 1950's autos, Old Looks, and PCC's in the photo?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If one is going to do a book on historical transport, urban architecture, etc., I think it is a SOLE matter to do your homework, and get the facts STRAIGHT!!!!!!! Razz

This is something that has really rankled me over the years...... Mad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During WW2, CSL also opened several "new" bus garages, to save ful consumption and tire wear (one of these wartime facilities was a former auto showroom!)

A number of CSL trolley buses were stored between runs (during the War) at a former STANDARD OIL filling station; new overhead was erected at this location (Diversey & Kedzie)

As hard as it is to believe today, during the War, many CSL routes operated on 45 second headways(!!) Shocked Shocked Shocked

Try bringing this up to MTA brass, today...... Shocked Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this link; it never ceases to amaze me at just how geographically (and historically) ignorant some people are.

The "IMAGES OF RAIL" paperback series, while outstanding for their photo content, often have captions that are light years beyond insane.

One photo caption, in a book on Philly trolleys, states that the photo was taken from a hot air balloon in the 1920's.

Then WHY, I ask you, are 1950's autos, Old Looks, and PCC's in the photo?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If one is going to do a book on historical transport, urban architecture, etc., I think it is a SOLE matter to do your homework, and get the facts STRAIGHT!!!!!!! Razz

This is something that has really rankled me over the years...... Mad

"NYO"

I agree. But I wonder if the balloon from which they took that photo was that old.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a blimp.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting bit of CSL trolleybus trivia........

In order to reach West Shops, where all heavy repairs were made, CSL trolleybuses used the single overhead trolley wire, as dual-wire overhead did not extend to the shops.

The trolleybuses made the trip with their positive pole on the streetcar wire, with the negative pole hooked down.

A pair of metal flanged wheels were towed behind the bus, riding on the streetcar rails, making the negative contact to complete the circuit.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Feast yer eyes on these nostalgic Chicago bus/trolleybus photos (yes, my friend, there IS a "Queen Mary" photo among them!) Wink

https://www.thetrolleydodger.com/2015/09/08/historic-chicago-buses/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Note this handsome TRAILWAYS PD-4102 from the Peter Bogdanovich film, "THE LAST PICTURE SHOW"........

https://www.imcdb.org/i211320.jpg

(courtesy: imcdb.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 20 of 60

Jump to: