BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buses and the Puerto Rican Day Parade/signs en Espanol, etc.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Buses and the Puerto Rican Day Parade/signs en Espanol, etc. Reply with quote

All:

Curious as to what buses would have been re-routed/detoured during the Parade, which dates back to 1958.

Back then, I am guessing it would have been 5th Avenue buses and NYCTA buses detoured, early on (MABSTOA?)

Am curious to what bus routes were re-routed over the decades, up to today; also, was the Parade ever advertised on car ads/bus ads?

Appreciate any input......thanks in advance..... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if the days in question correspond, but I have seen pictures of downtown M5 buses, usually running along Fifth Avenue, traveling through Seventh Avenue instead. Ditto for some Fifth Avenue lines (i.e. M2 or M3) going down Lexington Avenue. You may check the pics when going through them, and examining them against the dates mentioned and checking if they fell on a Sunday when the parades were usually held. (I can understand why the M5 would have been rerouted through Seventh: the northbound trek through Sixth Avenue since the Jan. 14, 1966 one-way conversions of Fifth, Madison, and Broadway between Madison and Union Squares.) The buses usually rerouted would have been ex-FACCo routes, administed since 1962 by MaBSTOA. (Although between 1966 and 1968 ex-NYCO #2, on such days, presumably would have also run through Lexington - that is, before it was rerouted through Lexington [and Third] 24/7 as the M-101A in 1969.)

Presumably, M1, M2 (ex M2A), M3 and M4 - probably QM15/M32/Q32, as well - would have run down Lexington on the days PR Day Parades were held, while the M5, again, would have gone down Seventh and then Broadway between 57th and 23rd.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Great input.....appreciate your sharing here! Wink

Can you possibly locate old pics like you had mentioned earlier to share here?

I am sure we'd all enjoy seeing them........thanks again...... Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few to start off, all taken on Sunday, June 4, 1972 . . .
- Southbound M5 traveling east along 42nd Street at Sixth Avenue:
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?861
- Southbound QM15 (later M32, now Q32) traveling west along 42nd Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues:
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1988
- Southbound M5 traveling along Seventh Avenue between 46th and 47th Streets:
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2586
- Another M5, at Fifth and 41st; I'd assume the crowds north of 42nd were attending the parade . . .
http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3147

I presume June 4 was when the Puerto Rican Day Parade was held, that year . . .

Y'all might want to check this site's photo gallery to see if any other pics were taken on that date, or in any other Sunday in June (i.e. June 7, 1970 or June 6, 1971), I swear I saw some pics of M1, M2, M3 or M4 along Lexington Avenue on the Upper East Side.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

GREAT pics, as always........appreciate you sharing here! Wink

Since Sunday's Parade coverage, I had been wondering (again) as to what bus routes (past and present) where detoured/rerouted.

Being a "Joisey Boy", I really enjoy delving into historical "Noo Yawk" bus trivia........thanks again...... Very Happy

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Since Sunday's Parade coverage, I had been wondering (again) as to what bus routes (past and present) where detoured/rerouted.

Being a "Joisey Boy", I really enjoy delving into historical "Noo Yawk" bus trivia........thanks again...... Very Happy

The same routes that, every March 17, would have been rerouted / detoured to make way for the Saint Patrick's Day Parade. After all, both parades have traditionally run through Fifth between 44th and 86th Streets.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

The same routes that, every March 17, would have been rerouted / detoured to make way for the Saint Patrick's Day Parade. After all, both parades have traditionally run through Fifth between 44th and 86th Streets.

W.B:

Thanks......I was lax in remebering that the St. Patrick's Day Parade also marches on 5th (and I'm part Irish, too......OUCH!!) Shocked

Mentioning St. Patrick's Day now recalls the long-ago era when the Irish had a very solid stronghold in the "Tee-Yay"; I recall reading awhile ago that IRT meant "IRISH RAPID TRANSIT" and "IRISH RUN TRAINS" in certain transit circles........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, here......Imagine that the Puerto Rican Day Parade started back when 5th Ave Coach was still operating double-deckers.....wondering whether there might have been clearance issues involved regarding detours (certainly, as the company rostered more and more single-deck coaches, this would have posed no problem)......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume the same issues as pre-1953 Saint Patrick's Day Parades. Of course, the first PR Day Parade was two years before Fifth Avenue Coach Lines got their only "Fishbowls."
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
I presume the same issues as pre-1953 Saint Patrick's Day Parades. Of course, the first PR Day Parade was two years before Fifth Avenue Coach Lines got their only "Fishbowls."

W.B:

The buses you mentioned were the coaches that had "AIR CONDITIONED" replacing "GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY" above the windows ( these buses were numbered #1 through #10)

IMHO, unlike the various double-decker models that operated on 5th, these original New Looks seem to be buses that are seldom discussed or even recalled.

As you correctly stated, the Parade was in its very early years when the New Look era began on 5th Avenue Coach.......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

W.B:

The buses you mentioned were the coaches that had "AIR CONDITIONED" replacing "GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY" above the windows ( these buses were numbered #1 through #10)

IMHO, unlike the various double-decker models that operated on 5th, these original New Looks seem to be buses that are seldom discussed or even recalled.

As you correctly stated, the Parade was in its very early years when the New Look era began on 5th Avenue Coach.......

Besides the experimental air-conditioned 1-10, FACL also got regular (non-AC) buses 3101-3160, while allotting 3161-3210 to its Surface Transit, Inc. subsidiary (presumably on some peak-hour M-101, M-103, M-104 and M-106 runs as well as out in the Bronx) - albeit with the same green and cream color scheme as on the FACL Fishbowls. Some of the buses in that bunch are pictured within the Galleries, mostly taken in the early 1970's after they were all transferred to the Bronx (and, upon MaBSTOA's 1962 takeover, the AC'd 1-10 renumbered 3211-3220). When FACL and ST first got these Fishbowls, they were among the first to bear mylar roll signs made by Transign which was born the same year (1959) as GM's first "New Looks." But here, FACL and ST were followers rather than leaders as in FACCo's past, as the TA got their first Fishbowls late the prior year.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

Again, greatly appreciate your detailed historical input! Wink

Interestingly, according to "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (Guy E. Martin) the only New Look buses to operate on ST were never red; they were, instead, painted green and cream.

A photo in this book shows ST New Look #3208 on the #31, which ran on Southern Boulevard; according to the text, only 50 New Looks were assigned to ST.......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, according to "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT BUSES" (Guy E. Martin) the only New Look buses to operate on ST were never red; they were, instead, painted green and cream.

A photo in this book shows ST New Look #3208 on the #31, which ran on Southern Boulevard; according to the text, only 50 New Looks were assigned to ST.......

Funny . . . that was exactly what I was saying: a) that ST Fishbowls were green and cream, and b) they numbered 50 in total (3161-3210). One wonders if those 50 were originally meant for FACL a la 1-10 and 3101-3160 but the nomenclature on the sides was switched to ST at the last minute. Especially given ST's "Old Look" GM's and Macks being red and cream.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B:

Indeed, those New Looks really must have stood out amongst the older ST buses...."TOMORROW HAS NOW ARRIVED"! Very Happy

On another note, I'm thinking that some groups outside the City might have chartered buses to bring them in and deposit them somewhere near the Parade route; it would be interesting to see photos taken during the Parade's early years to try to spot charter buses in the vicinity.

However, most assuredly, I think most parade-goers that were not "local" would have used NYCTA/MTA buses and/or subways to view the Parade......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work-weary 5th Avenue Coach Company #1700 (seen here in 1962) was still in revenue service during the Parade's early years.

The bus looks quite unadorned without the usual, bold "GO THE MOTOR COACH WAY" legend emblazoned above the windows.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3387

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: