BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scenicruiser/Eagle production years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Terrific info, NYO 2629; thanks!!!

You are MOST welcome, my friend! Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, NYO, thanks from me, too....

The story of the Eagle bus was very interesting in that Eagle website...
one thing they didn't mention, was the reason for the "high top" of the 1963 Eagle 01...
Up until that time, the aisle started rising on a slight grade, somewhere around 4 rows from the rear, causing the headroom to greatly diminish. As a matter of fact, when you entered the restroom, you actually stepped down a few inches. So they raised the entire roof to afford better headroom in the rear aisle, and eliminate the stepdown.
The next year, the 1964 model found a way to level the floor all the way to the back, and so they brought the roof back down to the previous (1962) height, were it remained from then on...

If you have sharp eyes, you can easily see the difference in height of the roof of the 1963 model over the side windows. Another tell-tale are the marker and clearance lights were unique for that year...they did not project above the roof, to clear low clearance's ...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also curious that they did not mention the saga of Continental Trailways 1969 Eagle 05, number 29511 (American Buslines -Eastern division)...
It was powered by a Ford gas turbine engine for a few month's test program...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

The pleasure is all mine, I'm sure! Wink

Here are some interesting Eagle trivia bits from: "THE BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES" (Ed Stauss)

"......of the many running changes to the Model 01 during its lifetime, most were seen in the 1964 models. Some were just cosmetic changes, but others were engineering, such as an air-operated parking brake and new air intakes for the engine. Most appearance changes remained the same from 1965 through 1967....."

"........a large number of internal changes were made in 1968 to create the Model 05......."

"........The first Model 05's appeared very similar to the Model 01, including the rounded end cap over the windshield, but the defining difference was the reversal of positions of the driving axle with the tag....."

".....the main rear axle was placed behind the tag to increase the space for underfloor luggage, but this change had the disadvantage of slightly increasing the turn radius....."

".......the last Golden Eagles, a very short run of 12 buses, were produced in 1971, as enhanced versions of the model 05......"

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/e/eagle_int/eagle_int.htm

(courtesy: Coachbuilt)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, in glorious black and white......we recall the early days of the iconic SCENICRUISER.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3333

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4237

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4238 *This photo was taken at Newburgh, NY; the fabled "SCHOONMAKER'S" department store and picturesque old ferry house for the ferryboats to Beacon (which were shut down in November of 1963) are both prominent in the background.

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4244

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great links, thanks again...
There was a great scene in the classic flick, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" where Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard's character's were seeing off her husband, (played by Buddy Ebsen), on a Scenicruiser back to his hometown....I don't know if it was shot on location at the Capital Greyhound Terminal shown in the photo, or somewhere in Hollywood....anyone know?

One thing that sadden's me about all transportation modes, is historian's record so many shots of the vehicles, trains, planes, ships, cars, etc....
but almost totally ignore the rich architectural heritage of the stations, airports, garages, etc.....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Great links, thanks again...
There was a great scene in the classic flick, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" where Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard's character's were seeing off her husband, (played by Buddy Ebsen), on a Scenicruiser back to his hometown....I don't know if it was shot on location at the Capital Greyhound Terminal shown in the photo, or somewhere in Hollywood....anyone know?

One thing that sadden's me about all transportation modes, is historian's record so many shots of the vehicles, trains, planes, ships, cars, etc....
but almost totally ignore the rich architectural heritage of the stations, airports, garages, etc.....

traildriver:

In the 1963 Doris Day (She's just now celebrating her 95th birthday; Happy birthday, Miss Day!) comedy, "A Touch Of Mink", there is a brief scene at the old GREYHOUND terminal opposite Penn Station, where Doris is sent off on a trip aboard a 4104 by Audrey Meadows (Audrey looked like my mother's twin sister in that film!)

Those sweet, sweet sounds of GM's at work are indeed a symphony for the ears of any classic minded bus fan!

I totally agree; far too many historic rail, bus, and air facilities were taken for granted by too many photographers years ago; sure, there are many classic airport scenes still able to be enjoyed today in old photos, but not many at all depicting the hangers, towers, and other support facilities.

It is the same with buses; so many once-commonplace garages, of different vintages and designs, were either almost entirely ignored by the camera bugs of that era, or, only given token interest.

Just in the greater NY/NJ area alone, think of the many, many transit facilities that today (IF they are lucky) only survive in memories or photographs!

Oddly enough, in John Dockendorf's otherwise well done "GREYHOUND IN POSTCARDS", there is not ONE single view of ANY Greyhound depot in Manhattan....go figure! Confused

Getting back to Scenicruisers, you would be surprised to see just how many times one will pop up in a vintage film; buses obviously inspired by Scenicruisers have also appeared in countless comic books and animated cartoons.

I remember one classic early 1960's Warner Brothers "Road Runner" cartoon where the, luckless, ever-hapless Wile E. Coyote finds himself scurrying madly (in vain!) in the path of a speeding pseudo-Scenicruiser, with "NEW YORK EXPRESS: NON-STOP" boldly displayed on the dash herald, bearing down on him!

There was also a Daffy Duck cartoon from the mid-60's, where, after trekking through a hot Southwestern desert, finally decides to stop and wait by the side of the highway for the "transcontinental bus" to take him back to civilization (a stylized, "customized" Eagle, in this cartoon!)

Ahhh, where have the years gotten to......?? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celluloid trivia:

During the open credits of 1957's "SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS", we see the legendary Burt Lancaster on board on SCENICRUISER, en route to Manhattan......Cary Grant also boards one in the classic "NORTH BY NORTHWEST" .

The Scenicruiser seen in "NORTH BY NORTHWEST", interestingly, shows "INDIANAPOLIS" displayed on the destination curtain; this sign was created by the film studio.

The bus itself was K-2334; the scene was was filmed in East Bakersfield, California, but was supposed to depict a desolate crossroads in Indiana.

As was noted in "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" (McNally/Rayman), "....a western coach would not have had 'Indianapolis' readily available on the destination sign...."

"NYO"
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to note that in its heyday the Eagle was the overwhelming choice for high end luxury shell conversions for traveling entertainers et al.
In his album Running on Empty, Jackson Browne had a cut titled Nothing But Time, which apparently was recorded aboard his Silver Eagle tour bus on a road trip from Portland ME to some venue in NJ. In one of the verses, you actually can hear the hum of a big Detroit in the background as Browne sings, "We got nothin' but time between this Silver Eagle and the New Jersey line."
Today's high end shell of choice: Prevost.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
It is interesting to note that in its heyday the Eagle was the overwhelming choice for high end luxury shell conversions for traveling entertainers et al.
In his album Running on Empty, Jackson Browne had a cut titled Nothing But Time, which apparently was recorded aboard his Silver Eagle tour bus on a road trip from Portland ME to some venue in NJ. In one of the verses, you actually can hear the hum of a big Detroit in the background as Browne sings, "We got nothin' but time between this Silver Eagle and the New Jersey line."
Today's high end shell of choice: Prevost.

Q65A:

Funny you mentioned PREVOST.......

PREVOST had the distinction of being the first Canadian company to build buses for a domestic (NJ) carrier; "SOMERSET" ("The Blue Star Route") was the first US company to operate PREVOST coaches (Champions); this was back in early 1968.

I still, to this day, refer to NJT's MCI fleet as "Jersey Hounds"; I have long since associated MCI with Greyhound, so, this should come as no surprise! Wink

The one and only time I ever got to ride an Eagle (of any model) was back in 1968, during a family day trip to Philly......trust me, my friend, I STILL savor the sounds of those big, beautiful Eagles from that long-ago day.....no wonder I have so many vintage toy Eagles in my collection today...... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of EAGLE conversions for entertainers, I have three (1990's) diecast EAGLES for the following entertainers:

CLINT BLACK (1994)

MARTY STUART ("HILLBILLIES ON TOUR")

TRAVIS TRITT

I think I also have another for Hank Williams Jr., somewhere, that I haven't seen in awhile..... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling SOMERSET's handsome Prevost "CHAMPIONS"......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1518

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1522

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's entertainment....... Wink

http://www.goodsonbussales.com/eagleentertainers.htm

(courtesy: Goodson Bus Sales, Inc.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........the mystery of the Super Golden Eagles.....

http://busride.com/2009/04/trailways-veterans-unravel-the-mystery-of-the-super-golden-eagle/

(courtesy: BusRide)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: