BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Mystery" Fishbowl in NJ: a of a kind experiment?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
The Domenico fishbowl with a sedan door was acquired from a Canadian operator. I used to know who the original owner but it's skipped my mind .

The door was a factory option on suburbans built at GM's factory in London, ON. The standard two-piece door didn't keep the Canadian winters out. A number of Canadian operators specified this feature.

GM did not offer this option on New-Look suburbans built at Pontiac. For those operators who used their suburbans mainly in charter service, it might have been an attractive alternative. The door was operated by the same type of mechanism used on the PD4106.

Roy

Roy.......

Greatly appreciate this info; quite interesting, to say the least!

Had no idea that this sedan-door was used on Canadian coaches; as I said earlier, I had wondered if this was, perhaps, a "one-shot", in-house experiment by DOMENICO in thier shops.

Certainly would have been an attractive alternative for charter operators, as you stated.

Sure made for an interesting-looking coach......

John
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I think I might have found something more like you were talking about;

Richard Silagi of NorCal was kind enough to post the attachment labeled as a 1965 GMC Scenicruiser which was built for Ansett-Pioneer of Australia.

Of note is the fact that it does sport a 'New Look' front clip and the passenger windows are less slanted than the GM's we are familiar with.

As to whether or not it was actually built by GMC will have to be further researched for a positive determination.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Yet again, a most MAGNIFICENT find, and one the likes of which I've never seen before! Shocked

The CLOSEST that I've eved come to seeing anything even
REMOTELY close to this most unusual bus, were some of the tin toy Made In Japan models, back in the 60's! Rolling Eyes

The best I can tell you about the bus I remember was that it still had a "standard" GM Fishbowl front; while it retained its original front and rear doors, the forward-slant windows had been replaced by large square ones.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot recall if the rear window was still the original, or had also been re-configured. I'm drawing a blank on this one.

The first time I saw this bus I was totally FLABBERGASTED......NEVER had seen anything like this before!! Shocked

I remember that it always pretty grimy the several times I rode it, and, sadly, did not look all that well cared for. Sad

The last time I rode it was on a run up Kennedy Boulevard out of JSQ, way back in the 90's.

As I said earlier, I truly regret not at least attempting to take a pic or two.......

Again, a most OUTSTANDING picture....thanks for sharing this! Very Happy

John
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Richard Silagi of NorCal was kind enough to post the attachment labeled as a 1965 GMC Scenicruiser which was built for Ansett-Pioneer of Australia.

Of note is the fact that it does sport a 'New Look' front clip and the passenger windows are less slanted than the GM's we are familiar with.

As to whether or not it was actually built by GMC will have to be further researched for a positive determination.

The Australian Scenicruisers were built by Ansett for their Pioneer Tours division in 1965-66. Some had GM chassis with a Toroflow engine, others were built on REO chassis with GM 6v53 engines.

Ansett also built Flxible Clippers under license.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I told you that if you wait long enough you'll find what you're looking for and you have now!

Here we see fleet # 1641 - a 1964 GM Coach Model 5304 (ex Academy Tours # 112 - ex ex Philadelphia Transportation Company # 4118) operating for Academy Tours of eastern New Jersey.

In the upper picture, # 1641 has just completed a total rehab at Hudson Body Works of Hoboken including new more scenic passenger windows and shock absorbing water filled front and rear bumpers.

The lower image shows # 1641 in its fourth and probably final assignment as transportation for the Korean American congregation of the Pilgrim Church in Paramus, New Jersey.

Photos borrowed for educational purposes.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Any idea what the back looked like?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I REPEAT: WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

That is EXACTLY what I saw (except for the paint job) operating out of JSQ on the Boulevard #1 line!!! Very Happy Very Happy

I KNEW I wasn't seeing things!!!! Very Happy

MANY, MANY THANKS, MY FRIEND!! Very Happy

John
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been one of these creatures, again, done by a remanufacturing outfit out on the west coast. These looked and sounded like a transit bus inside, and the windshield gave away its heritage as a new look GM coach, but I always thought these were an affront to nature.

MOVIEBUSES probably has seen more of these than I. Anterra had a whole fleet of them out at the Grand Canyon as recently as a couple of years ago.

Near as I could tell, these were all suburbans in their first life. Seats were up on a platform (and were uncomfortably cramped) and there were parcel racks above.

The bus in the background is a New Flyer CNG low floor owned by the National Parks but also operated by Anterra in shuttle service at the park. These things are slow and crowded, but can save you a lot of walking if you're a lardass from the lower altitudes and not accustomed to walking around at 5,000 foot elevations!

timecruncher
Schedulers give you the runs!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESE BUSES ARE COOL!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Certainly not your "average, everyday" bus!! Shocked

John
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed belatedly...Scenicruisers OUTSIDE the us? OTHER than those 1,000 something from 1954-56 by GMC from Greyhound?
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Carras wrote:
Just noticed belatedly...Scenicruisers OUTSIDE the us? OTHER than those 1,000 something from 1954-56 by GMC from Greyhound?

I think perhaps the name "Scenicruiser" as refered above, was "borrowed"...whatever, there weren't any PD-4501's built for anybody but Greyhound -USA, in the US or anywhere else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: