BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos: My Visit to the Port Authority (Part II)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nabinut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Photos: My Visit to the Port Authority (Part II) Reply with quote

More from the trip including am/pm rush:

gmnewlook

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos: My Visit to the Port Authority (Part II) Reply with quote

Nabinut wrote:

Nice! My eldest daughter would love this one. It's got her favourite player on it! Wink
timecruncher

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good night shots NABINUT. 29-foot Gillig low-floor commuter buses. Yeesh.

timecruncher
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
29-foot Gillig low-floor commuter buses. Yeesh.

timecruncher

No kidding - those things are bouncy enough to make one nauseous on a five-minute airport shuttle run, never mind a commuter trip!
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 29-footers are great for circulator and feeder routes. We use them in Louisville on routes 12 and 22 and used to use them on a few more that no longer exist.

Unfortunately, since they use a few ounces less fuel than a 40-footer, our transportation director (who does not commute by bus and never drove one) insists that they be used on the lighter express routes we have. Seating is all in-facing and the ride quality is, as you mention, horrible on the expressway.

Unfortunately, my pleas to use 40-footers especially on commuter runs has been met with disdain and outright rejection. I have been reminded that I am not in charge of that department and to keep my opinions to myself.

So much for the "team effort" at TARC, eh?

timecruncher
Schedulers mess up your runs!
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years back, the transit authority in Dayton had some little Gilligs. I think they were Spirits but feel free to correct me on that. They were little one-door buses, anyway.

From time to time, one would be assigned to the morning trip I rode on route X5. This is an express route from the south suburbs to downtown with almost the entire route using I-75. Sometimes, when we were tooling down the Interstate, I felt like I was a rodeo cowboy on his buckin' bronco. They have been gone for many moons now and I am sure they are not missed here by anyone.

Roy
timecruncher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVRTA (as it was known then) did, indeed, have some Gillig Spirits. They were purchased for Project Mobility service, and I don't doubt that they got used on regular routes from time to time. Dayton never really needed express routes -- the city just isn't that spread out -- and the Gillig Spirit was a creature not too much unlike the cursed Orion 02. It was a problem child from the git-go for every transit system that owned one. Not sure, but I seem to recall that these were built by a contractor to Gillig specs, and not at the Hayward facility. I could be wrong on that, but they looked nothing at all like the early Phantom models or school buses that Gillig was building at the time.

Looking back, I'd wager that Gillig is ashamed of those things and would just as soon forget that they ever put their name on them!

timecruncher
...And we love what we do...
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading somewhere that Gillig built the Spirit in Texas. Centro bought two of them in 1991 for the local route in the nearby city of Fulton. I never saw them in operation - the one time I visited Fulton when they were active a Neoplan 40-footer was pinch-hitting that day - and by 1999 they were stored at Centro's Syracuse garage. Management was probably wishing they had bought a couple of more Orion I 30-footers, as the ones they purchased in 1989 ran for 15 years.
Adammm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

I like the pictures of your trip and the transportation buses are so good its very comfortable for a good journey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: