BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Do Not Pass Bus on Right'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: 'Do Not Pass Bus on Right' Reply with quote

Some cities used to place 'Do Not Pass on Right' stickers on the back of their buses - looks like Centro could have used this yesterday:

Bus-car crash in Syracuse ties up traffic near Clinton Square

The accident occurred where route 121 buses make a right turn from Salina St. onto Genesee St. Based on past observations, I'm assuming that the bus swung wide to make the turn and the car tried to sneak past on the right. Bad move.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thing happened a while ago in Manhattan, when a bus on (I think) Third Avenue was making a right turn and a messenger on a bicycle was knocked over and seriously injured.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 -

You get it right in your analysis! It is the notorious "sucker play gambit", in tournament play shortly after there were than a handful of vehicles on the streets.
Trucking industry types are well aware of this hazard...

From experience of some of the cleanup detail after such messes, unfortunately, it is the driver of the "heavy" (truck or bus) who takes the hit on his own safety
file. The insurance carriers have their own way in dealing with these incidents. Their motor carrier clients, thru the safety directors, can see the reasonableness
of why the insurer is right. (It is better not to bicker with one's insurer.)

..................Vern................
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted bus #2707 in service several days ago and had an opportunity to check out the rear door area while it was laying over. Either Centro's maintenance personnel were able to swap out an entire panel, or the bus suffered no damage at all, because I could not find even a scratch on this bus (there was no visible repainting in the area that would suggest body work was done).
Jeff406cid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was making a turn onto 85th st in Jackson Heights when I head this horrific screeching of tires. I was accelerating up the street but was keeping my eye on the right side mirror when I see this honda accord slid into the right rear tire of the bus and then flip over onto it's roof!!!!!!!!! I was sick to my stomach to think of what I would find when I got to the car but the people crawled out with spilled soda and french fries all over them. I looked and saw about 70 feet of skid marks going diagonally across lanes of traffic toward the bus. He was flying going way to fast and gambled that he could beat me out by going around the right side of the bus..........didn't make it! Their account of the story was that they were waiting for the light and I made a right turn in front of them smashing into them and flipping them over. Their story didn't take into account the yards of spent rubber on the ground or the forwardly bent radius rod on the lower right side of the bus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: