BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE NEW YORK CITY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine that the fare was a 'plug nickel' when the attached photo was taken back in the forties of fleet # A238 - a 1934 twenty-nine passenger Mack Model 6-CL-3S and one of thirty-nine likenesses numbered between A200 and A238 purchased in increments between 1933 and 1936 by the Avenue B and East Broadway Transit Company of Manhattan, New York.

As with much of this tiny downtown Manhattan property's equipment, #A238 arrived second hand in the late thirties from the Community Traction Company of Toledo, Ohio - one of many such suppliers.

The very popular Mack Model CL, which was the manufacturer's first foray into street type transits, was small enough and yet tough enough to maneuver the well worn byways of lower Manhattan and did yeoman's service through the war years and beyond.

Of note on #A238 is the placement of the rear door aft of the rear wheel well as opposed to forward of it which was an option either way and the attractive chromium collar and Mack badge missing from the radiator housing.

# A238 is seen on the #8 Grand Street Crosstown line heading the 7th. Avenue IRT and BMT subways.

Avenue B holds the distinction of being the last of Manhattan's private companies to succumb to city takeover and held out for eighteen years longer than its close colleagues.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available on eBay as item #181156291181.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

# A238 is seen on the #8 Grand Street Crosstown line heading the 7th. Avenue IRT and BMT subways.

Avenue B holds the distinction of being the last of Manhattan's private companies to succumb to city takeover and held out for eighteen years longer than its close colleagues.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available on eBay as item #181156291181.

Nice find Mr. L. Actually, despite the roll sign (unless it's a short turn), A238 is heading in the other direction toward the foot of Grand Street at the East River. Seward Park High School is the large building in the background. Avenue B probably transported a lot of students in its day as its two routes met at Essex and Grand Streets right in front of the school.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen sometime in the early fifties at the rear of the company's then Woodside facility is fleet # 1052 - a 1939 41 passenger Yellow Coach Model 740 and one of eight likenesses numbered 1051 to 1058 operating for the Triboro Coach Corporation.

Originally gasoline powered combined with a hydraulic transmission, # 1052 and its siblings were Dieselized in the early fifties along with a GM sponsored front clip upgrade that included recessed sealed beams, angled windshields, heavy chromium bumpers, stainless steel wings and GM badges under the windshields and dummy Thermo-Matic intakes complete with Michigan markers over the original destination signs.

Interestingly, these buses, which found there way to Triboro after being built for and rejected by another operator, arrived from the factory with a 'W' prefix in their fleet numbers which has been speculated as being either for the World's Fair service for which they were purchased or a throwback to Woodside-Astoria Transportation Company - Triboro's original name.

# 1052 is signed for the Q18 line between Astoria and Woodside via 30th. Avenue which was later extended to Maspeth via 65th. Place (the #Q18 line was the company's first dating back to 1925).

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and has been sold on eBay.

[/i]
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of reminds me of Chicago's transit authority modifying #8499 Flxible/Twin Coach with a new look Flxible front end clip.

I'd love to have the Willy's Jeep to the right.

One quick observation: That looks like a piano hinge just below the destination sign. I'm wondering if that was Yellow's way (at least for that model) of accessing the curtains for maintenance or replacement?

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

They look more like rusted rivets to me!

Green Line had a surplus World War II Willy's Jeep just like that but was painted company cavern green with the name 'Green Hornet' done in gold leaf just under the windshield.

While it was often used as a 'gofer' car, its primary duty was to push disabled buses around the garage and had a huge wooden bumper in front to do so.

I learned to drive on it on Saturdays when I was a kid and occasionally rode in it to help deliver parts and pay vouchers to the Rockaway Garage.

Those were the days!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
andy47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5th Avenue Coach and its affiliate NYC Omnibus had a group of similar Yellow 740s that were also modernized in the early 1950s in a similar fashion. They ran on the FACO 57th and 72nd Streets crosstown routes, and on NYCO's Delancey, 8th, and 14th Streets crosstown routes.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy47 wrote:
5th Avenue Coach and its affiliate NYC Omnibus had a group of similar Yellow 740s that were also modernized in the early 1950s in a similar fashion. They ran on the FACO 57th and 72nd Streets crosstown routes, and on NYCO's Delancey, 8th, and 14th Streets crosstown routes.

andy47,

I think I know just what you're talking about (see below).

The only thing that FACCO and company omitted was the dummy Thermo-Matic intake over the destination box.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 'bus driver's eye view' of traffic congestion along Manhattan's Fifth Avenue in midtown during a typical day in the late thirties.

Virtually all the buses are Fifth Avenue Coach double deckers of the late twenties and very early thirties with company built bodies mounted upon Yellow Coach Model 'Z' chassis.

#1269 (right of frame) was among the last group so built in 1931 and had a closed top with an interior stairway allowing for more economical one man operation.

For you license plate aficionados, the owner of the Ford product (could be a Lincoln) just ahead of our windshield is a member of the Automobile Club of New York as evidenced by the 'Y' plate - back then, 1Y through 9Y were issued exclusively through the organization to its membership.

I don't know whether the two policemen standing in the middle of the scene are just admiring the cars that are going by or they've just given up on traffic control!

Photo courtesy of 'periodpaper' and is available on eBay as item # 310675867493.

Old Look 4007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: 740 Rebuilts Reply with quote

Thanks for posting pics of the 740 rebuilts

Thanks for posting pics of the 740 rebuilts!

I recall seeing these circa 1953.

Asked my uncle to pass it so I could check out the rear and engine hatches/grilles...

Guess I was a bus fan even at the age of 5.

Enjoy these memories.

Thanks again!

frankie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

For you license plate aficionados, the owner of the Ford product (could be a Lincoln) just ahead of our windshield is a member of the Automobile Club of New York as evidenced by the 'Y' plate - back then, 1Y through 9Y were issued exclusively through the organization to its membership.

I might also add that the plate is a 1940 "New York World's Fair" plate. And the approaching car to the left sports a 1940 Connecticut tag (with its cut-out 40 tab in the center at the bottom).

Great photo find Mr. L! You never cease to amaze us.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="frankie"]
Mr. Linsky wrote:

I might also add that the plate is a 1940 "New York World's Fair" plate. And the approaching car to the left sports a 1940 Connecticut tag (with its cut-out 40 tab in the center at the bottom).

Great photo find Mr. L! You never cease to amaze us.

frankie,

Thanks - I never seem to cease amazing myself!

Now that I have a few free moments, let's split a couple of hairs on your license plate comment;

Back in those days, New York State issued new plates every year which had to be affixed by 12:01 AM January 1st. of the year imprinted (there was no staggered distribution as is done today).

Plates for the new year usually became available about sixty days before year end and could be affixed immediately - the AAA always had the 'Y' plates in the mail early on (I know because my father had one).

So it is conceivable that the photo was taken in late 1939 and that the plate on the Ford/Lincoln was installed before the expiration of the 1939 plate.

BTW; I forgot to point out the partially visible warning on the rear of FACCO # 1269 which states "Caution Air Brakes".

This was very common on trucks and buses as the feature became more popular in the thirties.

When I took my two weeks training at Green Line as a summer relief driver our instructor's first words to us were to remember that our front wheels would be behind and that the air brakes were very acute - in fact, he said they were so good that you could stop on a dime and expect nine cents change! - he sure was right!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Back in those days, New York State issued new plates every year which had to be affixed by 12:01 AM January 1st. of the year imprinted (there was no staggered distribution as is done today).

Plates for the new year usually became available about sixty days before year end and could be affixed immediately - the AAA always had the 'Y' plates in the mail early on (I know because my father had one).

So it is conceivable that the photo was taken in late 1939 and that the plate on the Ford/Lincoln was installed before the expiration of the 1939 plate.

Mr. 'L'

Mr. L: You are correct regarding the 1940 tags being used in late 1939. I don't disagree at all.

The fact that the plate is deep yellow on black along with taller number fonts dates it as a 1940 plate. NY used the World Fair's theme for three years. The 1938 plate (same color as 1940) had N.Y. 38 along the top and NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR 1939 along the bottom forcing the use of shorter dies for the numbers. The 1939 tags had opposite colors with NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR 1939 along the top. The 40 tag had the same slogan except the year was changed to 1940.

I've had an interest in license plates since I was very young. As a bus watcher down the street from my house in the '50's, I've always noted the change of bus tags at least a month (perhaps two) before the year's end. Funny, I never paid attention to the change on cars, just buses! Go figure.

Well, I didn't mean to get off course regarding the subject at hand. Back to bus talk!

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is a real treat because the focus buses have rarely been spotlighted before except for one black and white sample in Motor Coach Age.

Fresh out of the paint shop and awaiting inspection by the State Public Service Commission at the company's then new facility in Jackson Heights, New York is fleet # 1161 along with siblings 1162 to 1166 - all 1944 40 passenger GM Coach Model TG 4006's readying for their new lives at Triboro Coach Corporation.

Arriving at the company in late 1962 and already Dieselized by original owner Trenton Transit Company of Trenton, New Jersey, the 4006's were used mostly in split shift rush hour shuttle services and school assignments through the sixties.

Of note are the lack of full time mechanical ventilation systems which were obviously not mandatory in Jersey at the time of original delivery, war time all steel bodies as evidenced by the double side swipe moldings and, while GM wings and badges were added under the windshields, the original bug eyed headlamps and factory bumpers were left intact.

These buses, at eighteen years of age at the time the photo was taken, certainly were a tribute to the care and maintenance provided to them by Trenton through the years.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available on eBay as item # 171062678515.

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember these TG 4006 quite well. I rode them on the Q-29 on my way home from Newtown High. Sometimes I would pass up a new fishbowl just to ride these old looks. One interesting thing was the transmission lever. It was located under the driver's window instead of on the dashboard.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15,

You are quite right - our TD 4506's at Green Line (NY) also had the gear selector on a pedestal under the driver's side window as can be seen as item #14 in the driver's compartment drawing on page #3 of the 'operating section' for the model TDH 4506 (the 'H' was an error) - part# X-4506A.

I believe the first levers to be built into the dash board to the right of the steering wheel appeared in the Thermo-Matic era starting in mid 1946.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 111 of 151

Jump to: