BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diminishing Value of Russell's Official Bus Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Diminishing Value of Russell's Official Bus Guide Reply with quote

With the recent issues of Russell's Bus Guide added to my files to compare with the pair of 1960s issues I have, it seems to me that the value of this publication has diminished considerably over the years other than maybe for historical reference. The number of line haul carriers listing in the book has diminished considerably. One issue I have shows a carrier that has never had a schedule presentation before, YANKEE TRAILS even though that carrier has had line run service for years between Bennington,VT, Hoosick Falls and Albany,NY, primarily for commuters using intercity type equipment.Former Blue Bird Coach Lines and D&F Transit services in and out of Buffalo and Jamestown are operated by Coach USA-Erie of Erie,PA. Since Coach USA-Erie is based in Erie,PA, I'd give anything to know how they get their line run buses positioned for the day's service, unless they bought out and now utilized the former Blue Bird Coach Lines' facilities in Olean,NY to base the line run buses there, while running their charter and tour business right from Erie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too collect Russell's Guides, but alas I had to dispose of the bulk of my collection when I moved back to NY in 1989. I had every issue from 1968 up until then. I now have several since 1989, and a few from the late 60's and early 70's. I also have one from 1959.
That one is as thick as a Manhattan yellow pages. Unfortunately, every time I peruse thru it, the edges of the pages crumble a bit from age.
It is a treasure trove of information for bus historians. It seemed like every paved highway in the country had scheduled bus service back then.
And it contained the subcarrier codes to identify many of the earlier divisions of Greyhound and Continental Trailways. And lots of maps and press releases telling of new and improved services. I could get lost in it for hours. Kind of like I do now on this computer. Wink

I agree that the current edition is lame in comparison. And for some reason, GL leaves some of its Northeast Corridor timetables that are included in its employee System Timetable (also produced for them by Russell's) out of the regular edition of Russell's.
In this computer age, the Guide is pretty much irrelevant, as more and more passengers get their tickets and schedules online. The Guide isn't even issued every month anymore.

I wish Russel's would consider producing a reprint of some historically significant (biggest?) edition on long lasting paper for collectors, in the manner of the ones produced by the Official Railway Guide, but alas, I don't believe the interest is as wide spread among bus collectors to make it financially viable.
chetcope

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Russell's Guides Reply with quote

Traildriver wrote: [July 30 '11]
"I wish Russel's would consider producing a reprint of some historically significant (biggest?) edition on long lasting paper for collectors, in the manner of the ones produced by the Official Railway Guide, but alas, I don't believe the interest is as wide spread among bus collectors to make it financially viable."

I too have often wished that Russell's Guides would re-publish & sell old copies from various decades.

On the other hand there've been a number of hobbyists who have tediously copied old Official Railroad Guides and made them available on CD's (usually as pdf's). In fact several of these folk have posted ORG's to the web (search Google Books) where you can read/download for free.

Someone who has the facilities could probably at least break even at copying Russell's.

I once had a collection of Russell's from the 40's to the 70's but life changes & losses took care of that. I did buy a '50's Guide on eBay...that's been fun!

Chaz in NYC
PS: I just discovered this forum--can't believe I hadn't come across it before!

I did terminal work (baggage, tickets, info, travel bureau) Summers while in college & grad school (Minneapolis, St Paul, NY Pt Authority) from 64-73.

I was a bus hobbyist as a kid. Got some good mentoring in junior high from Bill Luke @ Jefferson Lines.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Russell's Guides Reply with quote

chetcope wrote:
Traildriver wrote: [July 30 '11]
"I wish Russel's would consider producing a reprint of some historically significant (biggest?) edition on long lasting paper for collectors, in the manner of the ones produced by the Official Railway Guide, but alas, I don't believe the interest is as wide spread among bus collectors to make it financially viable."

I too have often wished that Russell's Guides would re-publish & sell old copies from various decades.

On the other hand there've been a number of hobbyists who have tediously copied old Official Railroad Guides and made them available on CD's (usually as pdf's). In fact several of these folk have posted ORG's to the web (search Google Books) where you can read/download for free.

Someone who has the facilities could probably at least break even at copying Russell's.

I once had a collection of Russell's from the 40's to the 70's but life changes & losses took care of that. I did buy a '50's Guide on eBay...that's been fun!

Chaz in NYC
PS: I just discovered this forum--can't believe I hadn't come across it before!

I did terminal work (baggage, tickets, info, travel bureau) Summers while in college & grad school (Minneapolis, St Paul, NY Pt Authority) from 64-73.

I was a bus hobbyist as a kid. Got some good mentoring in junior high from Bill Luke @ Jefferson Lines.

Welcome to the forum!!
Who and when did you work for at the Port?
I was with Safeway Trails from 1968 to 1971.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: